Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Family Resorts for Summer Vacation in Colorado

Notices

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Elizabeth

We are looking into the possibility of a vacation at a Colorado Resort for the summer. My husband and I have two young boys, 8 and 4. We'd love to experience the Colorado mountains and try lots of different outdoor activities. Any good suggestions?

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 06:54 PM
tjc

Do a search for info on Copper Mountain;many condos available and lots of activities:horseback riding,fly fishing,golf,tennis; the chair lift will be running to take you up to a mountain BBQ.
Colorado springs has alot to offer also; the resort accomadations could be at The Broadmoor Hotel.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 11:32 PM
Tina

I've lived in Colorado for 10 years and my favorite summer place is Steamboat Springs. Great fishing, hiking, and of course there's the hot springs pool. The pool isn't as good as Glenwood Springs (which is also nice), but certainly isn't bad. If you don't mind crowds, Estes Park is the classic Rocky Mountain resort area. It's pretty touristy, but there's tons to do. Good for kids. On the west side of Rocky Mountain Nat'l park there's Granby, Ward and Gold Lake Mountain Resort which is just beautiful. Crested Butte/Gunnison is also a gorgeous uncrowded area, but has fewer touristy things. It depends on what you want.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:02 PM
xxx

I almost hate to tell you how much our family likes Crested Butte because its still so unspoiled and touristy I hate for the word to get out! We take our 4 children there every summer. We bike, hike, fish, shop, ride horses. Last year everyone was old enough to go white water rafting. We love it.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:30 PM
xx

I'll never forget our trip to Colorado 25 years ago. Did all the touristy things between Colorado Springs and Durango including the the train ride to Silverton. Then we met our outfitter and spent a week on horseback camping in the Weminuche Wilderness, leaving from the Vallecito area. The trip was breath taking as we climbed higher and higher. It was the first week of July, and we would still have snow on the ground at the campsites above the tree line. The meals were prepared by the outfitter and his wife and were delicious. Besides my wife and I were a couple of dad and son combos. One does not need to be an experienced rider as it is strictly going at a walk.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:53 PM
xx

Durango, Ouray, Silverton area is spectacular.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:32 AM
David

Elizabeth,

Many good recommendations here. To them I would also add the Grand Lake Lodge in Grand Lake. The GLL rests on a hill overlooking the town and Lake of Grand Lake.

The accommodations consist of a variety of various-sized rustic (no phones or TVs)cabins sprinkled throughout the woods behind a majestic and historic lodge. The lodge itself has gift shops, a good restaurant, huge central fireplace, game room and an incredible porch featuring spectacular views of the lake.

The area sits right on the edge of Rocky Mountain National Park and provides ample opportunity for fishing, horseback riding, boating, rafting, etc. Estes Park sits on the other side of the park.

If you go to: grandlakelodge.com you'll get an idea of why it's such a popular summer destination.

Have fun,

Davidcs

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Raquel

We enjoyed Breckinridge- we stayed at a resort there, which was very nice. We had a young child with us. It's a nice town, skiing nearby, shopping. We liked it.