Staying in Volcano vs. Hilo

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying in Volcano vs. Hilo

I have just enjoyed reading ejcrowe's trip report on her visit to Hawaii. You are amazing and so helpful! Thank you.

My husband and I have a 'business' trip to Maui in November and have decided to add the Big Island to our trip (debated going to Kauai or Oahu but think it's the Big Island for us). We will fly into Hilo and out of Kona. Will arrive in Hilo around 10 a.m. on a Saturday and plan to spend that day at Volcano National Park. Will stay overnight either in Volcano or Hilo and then make our way over to the west coast (am leaning toward the Fairmount Orchid) for another two nights.

So the question is: should we stay in Volcano or Hilo our first night? I thought we might enjoy seeing the volcano at night but realize that we probably won't see the lava flow from there. Just wonder if we're better off getting ourselves to Hilo for the night so we have more time for meandering the next day.

Thoughts from anyone?
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:12 AM

ccrosner, I would prefer to stay in Volcano. The next time we go there, we plan to stay at the Kilauea Lodge. You're closer to the sites of the volcano, and then on your way to the Kohala Coast you can drive through Hilo and visit all the sites on the north coast.

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont Orchid a year and a half ago, and we loved it. If you enjoy snorkeling, be sure to snorkel on their beach -- when we were there, there were dozens of sea turtles swimming with us. It was awesome.

Have fun planning your trip!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:29 AM

We loved Kilauea Lodge so my suggestion would be to stay there for the night. But I guess it depends on what you plan to do/see at VNP. We spent a whole day hiking so it was nice to stay nearby.

It sounds like you want to take the northern route to the west coast which is a beautiful drive, and you're only about 30-45 mins from Hilo. But you could also stay at VNP the 1st night and then take the southern route to the West coast. You'd go up through Kona to the Fairmont Orchid. Just depends what you want to fit in on your trip.

You can't go wrong with either option - the Big Island is beautiful...enjoy!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM

Do spend the night at Kilauea Lodge there in Volcano Village, a terrific place to stay and eat. Then do the Northern route over to the Kohala Coast, so lush and beautiful ... you wouldn't want to miss that drive!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM

Stay in Volcano. We love the Volcano Village Lodge. Two good restaurants are Thai Thai and the one at Kilauea Lodge.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:01 AM

Volcano is just so different than any other place in Hawaii. Hilo is a nice little city on the bay- which is not so unique. I vote Volcano, too.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the consistent votes. Volcano it is! And we will definitely take the northern drive over to the West Coast.

We will consider both Kilauea Lodge an Volcano Village as accommodation options. I had been leaning toward Volcano Village but am concerned that there may not be window coverings and we are VERY light sleepers. Any guidance would be helpful.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:08 AM

Yes, there are window coverings. They are roller type shades which you can see out but others can't see in. It is situated in the rain forest so it isn't excessively bright in the early morning. I am a light sleeper too and had no problem. Each unit is set up for the utmost privacy but I suggest you call Kay and talk to her personally and she can select the one that would be most suited to your needs. That is what we did and were very pleased. I highly recommend Kay and Volcano Village Lodge.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:28 AM

We loved the Kilauea Lodge; they have a great restaurant where you can eat by a big stone fireplace - very nice for when it gets chilly at night. We stayed in a cute cottage there and really enjoyed it.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Another vote for Kilauea Lodge www.kilauealodge.com Cute rooms, great breakfast..it's a small inn as opposed to a traditional b&b with a great restaurant!! Try the lilikoi margaritas (passion fruit) and the coconut battered deep fried brie...mmmmmmmmmmmm