Search

Mistake to stay in Kohala?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:04 PM
sks
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mistake to stay in Kohala?

I'm leaning towards staying at the Hapuna Beach Prince for our (just husband and me)one week trip to the Big Island. But I want to see the waterfalls and probably the volcano.

Do you think it's a mistake to stay there the whole time and make the long drive once or twice? How long is the drive from Kohala to Hilo and Volcano?

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:57 PM

See this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34503487
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:51 AM

To answer your question, just IMHO, but it's a mistake to stay in the one place. Of course, depends how much solitude and relaxation "do nothing" time and space you want. Personally, because I don't like the black rock volcanic topography, I wouldn't spend more than a few days in the Kohala area. There is too much to see on the BI and i dislike long drives that eat up precious vacation time I'd rather spend out of a car. I'd dp (and have taken trips to BI like this) two-three days stay at a lovely place nr the HIlo or Volcano Village area. I wouldn't miss Place of Reguge along the south Kona coast area. Assuming youre landing in Kona, perhaps you could take one route from Koahal along the north side of the island toward Hilo, and return via the opposite coast. Again, just my opinion...many folks LOVE Kohala area resorts and would quite happily stay there during entire vacation.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:39 AM
bonniebroad

sks, I would stay two nights at Kilauea Lodge (or other nice B&B) in Volcano Village, then the other five at the Hapuna Beach Prince. You can fly into Hilo, stay two nights at VV, then take the Northern route over to Kohala area to spend the rest of your visit on the Kohala Coast. Do make a point of taking a day trip down to the Place of Refuge from the Hapuna Prince. JMHO, but I would save the Southern coast for another trip ... one week on Big Island just isn't enough!

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 10:31 AM
sks
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice! Kind of makes me want to extend our trip...
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Bonniebroad, that's almost exactly what we are doing this summer, 2 nights at the Country Goose in Volcano and 5 nights at the Hapuna. We usually stay in condos, so a Kohala resort will be a treat. Great rate at the Hapuna this year, $216 with breakfast! Our plan is to land in Kona about noon, sightsee our way down the Hamakua Coast & arrive at Volcano late afternoon. We'll then have an evening, one full day and a morning at the Volcano. Then we'll take the "southern" route to the Hapuna, stopping at Kahaluu and Place of Refuge. I figure we'll then have 4 full days for exploring with the Hapuna as our base. We plan one morning to take the 2 mile trail down to the Captain Cook monument to snorkel.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Next summer we're hoping to circumnavigate the BI by staying three nights at the Hapuna Beach Prince; then taking the northern route for two nights at My Island B&B in Volcano; and then taking the southern route for one last night at the Outrigger Keauhou before flying out from Kona again. This way I'm hoping to spend enough time on the east side to explore Puna AND get to take both the northern and southern routes between sides of the island. We have only one week to spend as well and I think this plan will optimize our time.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Aloha, and sorry for typos in my post, above.
Crazy4, this is similar what we did on first trip to BI, but in reverse of your plan: 2 nights at Outrigger Keauhou Resort (then a Sheraton--it's even nicer now) two nights at Kilauea Lodge at the 2 bedroomTutu's Cottage (highly recommended if more than two folks in the group) and three nights at the Marriott (then Outrigger) which IF yfokls are iweth kids, i t hink is MUCH better as it's near shops (right across the street) Kids arent' quyite asenamoured of days of beautiful scenery as we are).
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Oops. pressed "post" instead of "edit" so let's try that last part again....
three nights at the Marriott (then Outrigger) which IF folks are with young kids, i think is MUCH better as it's near shops (right across the street) Kids aren't usually as enamoured of days beautiful scenery only, as we are).
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:46 PM

I also thinking splitting time is a good idea - provided you are certain you want to see the waterfalls and volcano. I just got back from a week on the BI where we spent 2 nights at the Waterfalls Inn in Hilo, a spectacular B&B and then 5 nights at the Hapuna. We flew into Kona and drove the northern route into Hilo. We were tired and did not have tons of daylight left, so we only saw the Akaka Falls. It took about 3 hours because we stopped for malasadas and the falls. But it could take longer if you take the scenic detours and stop for other falls. We spent the next day at the Volcano. Then, we checked out and drove the southern route from Hilo to Kohala. Long drive - about 3 hrs.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
sks
Original Poster

Mar 76 - what Hilo b&b did you stay at?

I'm thinking of flying into Hilo - staying 2 nights to see waterfalls and volcano and then driving to Kohala to stay at Hapuna 6 nights.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 03:58 PM

It sounds like mar_76 stayed at the Waterfalls Inn in Hilo.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 04:33 PM
sks
Original Poster

cawhite - you're so right! oops! - I read it in a hurry and saw "a spectacular b&b".
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 05:18 PM
bonniebroad

sks, I would stay in Volcano Village rather than Hilo for the two nights on the East side. Hilo has it's good points (despite being a little too gray and rainy for us), but I think Volcano Village is a much more enjoyable and unusual place to stay. Wherever you stay, have a great trip!

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM

I'll put in my $.2 for Hilo -- although I have never even seen Volcano Village. Hilo has several luxury B&Bs, gourmet restaurants, a farmers and flower market, waterfalls, and a lot of local flavor. For us, we stayed in Hilo because we wanted really nice accomodations and food (although ended up not eating in any fine restaurants). It was about a 40 minute drive to the Volcano.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:28 PM
bonniebroad

mar_76, were you under the impression that fine food and wonderful accommodations could not be found in Volcano Village? Believe me, that couldn't be farther from the truth! (In fact, Kilauea Lodge fills both bills, has one of the finest restaurants on the Big Island!!!) And there are many other wonderful, charming accommodations in VV...... I've been in Hilo twice, my hubby three times, and every time, it was gray and raining........ I know some people like Hilo, but I just didn't find it a great place to be on vacation. I know some of the B&B's are charming, but the weather........... well, just not for me!

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM

Another vote for Volcano Village. Stayed in a charming B&B and actually slept in a water tank!

Hilo is too rainy for me too!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:58 AM
sks
Original Poster

...slept in a water tank...???? I'm not sure that's really selling it for me!

How about Hilo vs Volcano Village for getting to the waterfalls?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:22 AM
bonniebroad

Sks, most people who stay in Volcano Village, and then move to the Kona side for the rest of their visit, see all the gorgeous waterfalls along the Northern route during the day they drive over to their new accommodations in Kohala or down in Kona. We stop at several of them, plus the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens. I would get several opinions before I chose Hilo over Volcano Village ... I don't know anyone among my family and friends, who, having visited both places, would choose to stay in Hilo. The greenery is GORGEOUS there, but it takes a lot of rain to keep it that way!

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Bonniebroad -- like I said, I've never been to Volcano Village, but my issue with Kilauea Lodge was that only one room had a king size bed, and none of them had soaking or hot tubs in the room. It was our honeymoon, so those were important considerations. We wanted luxury (not just wonderful ) We also wanted a lot of dining options, and there didn't seem to be that many in Volcano Village. Otherwise, I probably would have stayed at Volcano Village as it seems more convenient.

sks - Hilo is closer to the waterfalls, but farther from the Volcano.

In the 3 days we were in and around Hilo, it only rained at night and early in the morning. It also rained at the Volcano.