Staying in Maui

Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Staying in Maui

We are going to Maui 3/17-3/28 and are looking at staying at the Maui Hololani condo complex in Lahaina. I think we are getting a good price for a 2 brm at 175.00 a night. Any feed back about the complex or the beach area would be appreciated. This is our first visit to Maui so we are not familar with it, although have research and read Maui Revealed. Any and all suggestion welcomed. Thanks
Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:32 PM

Thats Kahana, so the beach will be subdued. You will need to drive(10 minutes or so) if you want to do more than lay on the sand. But your are in walking distance of my favorite Restaraunt, Roys
Enjoy
Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Yes, thanks the correction. I am also considering a place in Lahaina, but the price is better in Kahana. Subdued is fine with us as long as it nice and relaxing.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:53 PM

I usually stay in Kahana or Honokawai. The beaches at Kahana are small and the shore too rocky/unsafe they say to wade in the water. Up the road from Kahana there is a very nice beach near the Westin Time Share, not the Westin on Kaanapali beach, where you can go in the water and snorkel.

There are condos in Honokawai worth checking out, The Mahana and Maui Kai.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM

Found the area to be a pretty good place to stay and there were some good dining selections at the Kahana Gateway and not bad for an evening walk.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM

Baywood, its very relaxing. You will love it . I love Kahana, but I love Kapalua just a bit more.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful information. Really appreciate it! A little worried about the beach in front of the Hololani. In the photo it looks nice for walking and swimming. But if they are that rocky and unsafe, it might not be good for kids (9 & 13). Don't mind traveling to good beachs, but would like to be able to at least play in the water at the condo.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM

Many of the beaches in that area have steep drop offs and/or are rocky or sandy/rocky. So not so good for young kids. Kaanapali Beach has some very sandy areas without rocks but also has a steep drop off in parts. I think there is a part of Kaanapali beach near the Marriott that has a more gradual walk-in for kids --but I'm not sure of the exact location so hopefully others can advise on this in more detail. All of these beaches can have a strong shore break at times that also is not good for kids.
A beach that has a very gradual walk-in for kids and that I have seen many children safely enjoy is Wailea Beach which is in the Wailea resort area that is not close to the area you are considering. On days where the surf is rough, it's best to keep the kids swimming in the hotel pools. However, some days have very flat, calm surf that creates a safe ocean environment for kids. So all these conditions will vary, sometimes weekly,sometimes daily. Other nice beaches close to Kahana are Napili Bay and Kapalua Bay. These are also subject to frequent changes in conditions, as are all beaches in Hawaii.
Have fun!
Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM

Usually it's better to get to the beach early, before the trade winds start up, which can be as early as noon in the winter. It will still be beautiful if you go later but you won't get sand blasted.