State Park Closures due to Fires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned before, we are planning a trip to the California coast, and are hoping to do some hiking. I understand that some State Parks have closed due to recent fires, but am having a hard time finding this information anywhere. Anyone know of any links or have the information. Many thanks.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 06:59 AM

What state parks? I've heard that sections might be off limits like at Julia Pfeiffer & Pfeiffer Big Sur:

"Portions of the day use area, including the McWay Falls Overlook trail, Partington Cove, and the environmental campsites will re-open for public use on Friday, July 25th. Parking in the main parking lot will be limited due to unstable slopes above one portion of the parking lot. All trails and areas on the east side of Highway 1 will remain closed until further notice."

Here's a link to parks on the central coast so y9ou can check the ones you are interested in:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/re...giontab=0&id=6
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No parks that I know of are closed. The fires were out weeks ago - but of course new fires are possible any time until the rain season starts in 2 or 3 months.

A trail/habitat area here or there may be inaccessible - but closed altogether - I haven't heard of any.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM

This morning in the news they've said something about park closers due to fire danger (not fire, only the danger of).

Let me search a little.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:06 AM

by Googling closed, not sure for how long:
Alum Rock park San Jose area

some were closed in July, maybe now again:
Pine Hill
Mt Diablo
Chino Hills

I guess you'll have to call each one to make sure it's opened. Good idea as now is the high fire danger time.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM

We were there in mid-August and found that very few of the trails in the parks around Big Sur were open, although I suppose technically the parks themselves were. It seemed to be mainly due to the fire destroying things like bridges, stairs, etc. Point Lobos was completley open and quite beautiful. We went to Pfeiffer Big Sur for some hiking and it was honestly pretty disappointing - once you the awe of the fire's destructive power faded (which happened pretty quickly), the hike was not very appealing, since you're just going through bare trails of dead trees. If you're planning to hike a lot, I'd concentrate on the parks outside of the immediate Big Sur vicinity.