Questions about Mt Tamalpais, CA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an out of state visitor over the weekend, and it is too late to call an office at Mt Tamalpais State Park, so I'll ask here.

1. Do they have a picnic area with BBQ grills ? In their broshure, they mention some "stoves" at Bootjack Picnic Area, but I am not sure if this is the same as BBQ grills.

2. Can we drive to the summit, or hiking is the only option ? Due to age, we probably won't be able to climb more than ~200ft.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM

The last time we were there, the parking lot on top was open but had become paid parking. There is a fairly level trail around the summit.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 10:24 PM

Right now they don't even allow smoking in vehicles, I would find it hard to believe they allow bbqs at this point in the fire season.

The trail up to the summit may be more than 200 ft. In fact, I'm sure it is but not that difficult.

There are some picnic tables at the first pullout on Ridgecrest Blvd after you make the left from Pantoll Rd but there are no grills. The views from up the trail here are maybe even better than from the summit.

This weekend should be an excellent time to visit with the fog being far below hugging the coastline.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. Do you know if there are any BBQ grills at a reasonable distance from the State Park ?
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM

I would doubt you would be able to BBQ just about anywhere in CA at this time of year, other than your backyard. It is fire season, and there has not been enough rain this year to keep things from being VERY DRY. Just a few embers can get out of control quickly.

How qbout find a BBQ restaurant and doing just a picnic.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM

You should be able to barbecue in picnic sites with barbecue pits. After all, you can have a fire in campsite--we did two weeks ago.