Stanford/Berkley lodging

Search

Stanford/Berkley lodging

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stanford/Berkley lodging

We will be visiting these 2 schools in late June to take campus tours. We would like to stay someplace that will give our daughter a feel for college life at each university. I would appreciate a specific recommendation rather than just a location (though that would be helpful) since my investigation so far has left me without answers. Thanks
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:13 PM

For Stanford stay at the Garden Court Hotel on Cowper Street in the downtown area. No suggestions on Berkeley. But, Berkeley is going to scare the heck out of the parents. It may be a great school, but the area is freaky. UC Berkeley is a beautiful campus, though.
Old May 16th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Berkeley:You can try The Rose Garden B&B. This is on Telegraph Avenue probably 8 blocks from the campus. If you want you might also check out the Durant Hotel which is closer in, I'm not sure about the facilities. You might also check out The Berkeley Women's Club or the City Club. These are private clubs but I think they have rooms. and you will certainly be closer to the heart of it all. There is a Raddison on the Berkeley Marina as well. You will,however, be away from campus. There's a hotel right across the street from the northside of campus(and close to rental car agencies). I can't remember the name. It might be the Berkeley Inn or Hotel. It is on Oxford Street so it you can acces the name on the net look for the Oxford Street address. The Shattuck Hotel is in downtown Berkeley and still within walking distance to campus.
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:25 AM

In Berkeley the Rose Garden is supposed to be a pretty nice place, I've never been there personally.

On Durant there is the Beau Sky Hotel. You could not possibly be any closer to the University. It's closer than some dorms. If you really wanted the site closest to the UCB experience, I would go there.

Old May 16th, 2003, 08:37 AM

I don't think there's really a hotel that will give your daughter a "feel" for campus life since you would have to stay on campus for that. (Stanford is pretty much completely self-sufficient in providing facilities, etc to its students). But, to get a good flavor for the area in general, I would suggest that you stay in an area near campus and near downtown Palo Alto. Both the Palo Alto Sheraton and the Palo Alto Westin are right between the two. If you take a look on mapquest.com, you'll see that the main entrance to campus is at the intersection of Galvez and El Camino Real. The start of the main street in downtown Palo Alto is at the intersection of University Ave. and El Camino Real. You'll notice that both of these hotels are situated on El Camino and are only a few blocks away from both campus and the downtown area. I think this would be your best base from which to operate. There are always plenty of students shopping, eating, biking in and around these areas and your daughter can get a feel for the general area.