St. George Island, FL Beaches, Eateries

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. George Island, FL Beaches, Eateries

Any comments on water, sand quality? Are they similar to other Panhandle beaches?

What nearby seafood restaurants do you recommend?

Thank you.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM

I lived in Tallahassee for a year and used to go to St. George Island for the day. The beaches there are gorgeous as is the water! I have been to many beaches in my life and can swear to you that you will LOVE the beach there!! I used to go to a bar off the beach when I went there and have oysters and beer but can't remember the name. It wasn't fancy but it was great and cheap. Oysters from Apalachocola Bay are awesome and I had never had one in my life till I moved to Florida as I thought raw oysters was disgusting till I got hooked. If you go, let me know as I have always wanted to go back there!!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Water and sand are very nice. Not as pretty as points west-Seaside, Destin etc. but nice enough. You won't be disappointed. There isn't much on the island in the way of restaurants but if you cross the bridge to Apalachicola, you will find several to choose from. You might want to check Chowhound.com or post a question there for specific restaurants. It has been a couple of years since I have eaten at any of them and I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Very nice and relaxing. Agree with the suggestions to fgo into APpalacola--cute little town. I remember some dive where we had delicious oysters & beer--on the water, I believe you turn right as soon as you cross the bridge--don't be deceived by the looks--part of the charm!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your informative and thoughtful responses.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM

We have been to SGI in probably every month of the year, and the water/sand does vary. This time of year (late spring) it is wonderful: beaches are like Panama City, etc., but much less populated, breezy; paradise.
We almost always rent a beach house w/ family/friends and buy a ton of seafood & cook it at home, but on the Island, Harry A's, which is the first restaurant on the right as you come off the bridge, is great for super casual, beer 'n burger type stuff. Unless something has opened up since our trip last year, there isn't anything really "nice" on the island. It's all casual, with at least one dog-friendly one on the beach. We love Tamara's in Appalach (it can be slow, but worth it) and the restaurant at the Rainbow Motel on the river (think it has a new name) varies from great to okay. The grocery store in Appalach (Red Rabbit? Piggly Wiggly?) has a surprisingly good selection of wines, cheeses, meats, so if you are renting a house, you may want to do more dining in than out. Have a great trip!