Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

We like St Barth's very much, what other island will compare? i.e. beaches, restaurants, etc?

Search

We like St Barth's very much, what other island will compare? i.e. beaches, restaurants, etc?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning another trip to the Carribbean and we really enjoyed St. Barth's out of the many islands we have been to. Can someone please suggest something comparable. We love great restaurants..any cuisine..and we love beaches. Thanks a bunch!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 09:57 AM

You might like Anguilla, great restaurants there, low key. The island is flat and not much activities around, but beaches are very beautiful. You can take a day trip ferry to St Martin for diversity.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Harbour Island, in the Bahamas. I have also been to St. Barth, and found that for the cost and time to get there, Harbour Island will certainly measure up.

There is only 1 main beach 3 miles long with soft pink sand, but you can also take a water taxi out to one of the cays off Eleuther and have an entire island all to yourselves for a day.

You might try Pink Sands or Romora Bay or the newly opened Rock House all have excellent restaurants on site.

Have a great time.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Bebe,
I'm having a hard time trying to recommend something you might like that compares to St. Bart. The trouble is, for what St. Bart is, there really is nothing. Its a very chic upscale island with great cuisine and of course great beaches. However, good food and beaches can be found all over...so that doesn't make St. Bart stand out. Is there something more particular about St. Bart that you really enjoyed? I would agree with emtravel with Anguilla, certainly can't beat the restaurants and beaches. But if you like the French flair perhaps try Guadeloupe, its two islands in one...though not as upscale as St. Barts. Thats a tough one.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Sunnyboy

As others have said St. Barth's is very chic and upscale, for that reason it is difficult to find another Caribbean Island that compares to it. Anguilla has great restaurants and fabulous beaches but the island itself lacks the natural beauty of St. Barth's. I saw in another post you were considering Mustique. That's another upscale island but since it is really a haven for private villas of the "rich & famous" you won't find a great many restaurants (there's only 2 or 3 places to eat on the whole island) and there are no shops to speak of - just a General Store.

You might check out Martinique or Guadalupe (and it's surounding islands of Marie Gallant and Ils Des Saintes). Being French perhaps they might have the sophistication you are looking for in a destination.