Search

St. George Island

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. George Island

We are looking to rent a house for a week in August on St. George Island. I am trying to gather information on the best place to be located on the island (the plantation, east, west?) We have 3 kids 10 and under and will be traveling with my parents. We would prefer a private pool and a view of the Ocean with access to the beach. My father will also want to have access to fishing.

Anyone have advice on this Island?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:26 PM

The Plantation (west end) is a gated, (only owners and guests) more upscale area and even less crowded than the rest of the island. (And nowhere on the island is crowded!) You should have no trouble finding a nice gulf front with pool. The Plantation also has a large community pool. The advantage of staying in the Plantation would be more privacy and more upscale surroundings.

That said, you should also be able to find a gulf front with pool outside the Plantation and quite possibly for less money.

For everything you ever wanted to know about St. George, go here:

http://tinyurl.com/3d4wf5

The "local expert" is truly an expert and if you read the posts from the last couple of months, you should be able to find out every thing you need to know, right down to the best place to buy freah seafood

Have a great time. You will love St. George. And be sure to eat at the Indian Pass Raw Bar!

http://www.indianpassrawbar.com/

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:35 PM

I live in Tallahassee and go to St. George fairly frequently. Our family prefers to stay NOT in the Plantation. We like to be closer to the little town center which has access to the bike path. This way the kids can take off on bikes (you can rent bikes on the island) and ride to town for ice cream, to the playground, etc. You'd have to drive them back and forth from the Plantation.

There are lots of really nice houses on East and West Gorrie Dr. beach front and across the street from the beach, which is what we prefer. Many of them have pools these days and they will be less expensive than in the Plantation. The East End is near the State Park and at the opposite end of the island from the Plantation. The bike path doesn't go all the way to the East End though so you lose that if you book down there. The state park is worth a visit, though it was damaged in the 2005 hurricanes...probably getting back by now. It is undeveloped except for a couple of bathroom pavillions...the way most of St. George USED to be. Worth seeing all those white sand dunes with no houses.

We're actually going there this weekend..but it is going to be COLD. Low here in Tallahassee on Thursday night/Friday morning will be 20 degrees. (I think I should move to Florida....)
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:16 PM

The plantation is more secluded, but I am not sure that it is really less traffic. You do have more woods, vs being more out in the open in the Gulf Beaches. We prefer the Gulf Beaches section mainly in the East Gulf Beaches as this is the newer side. Prices will generally be less in the Gulf Beaches. You'll have better chances for more Gulf Views in the Gulf Beaches, and alot of houses offer private pools. You can have access from anywhere on the island for fishing, your best bets are fishing from the beach on the gulf side. How much are you willing to spend, and when in August are you planning to visit? Here maybe a good option.

topgunsgi dot com.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Still trying to advertise your beach house, sgibeach??? I guess when Trip Advisor wouldn't let you, you decided to try Fodors. Advertising is not allowed here either.