St. Augustine - where to stay?

Old Aug 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Augustine - where to stay?

My H & I will be spending a few nights in St. Augustine late Sept. We're looking for a good place to stay - mid-ranged hotel, preferably under $150/nite; we have AAA so we can get discounts where applicable too. H was looking at the Marriott at Renaisaance/World Golf, but I know it's about 20 min. from town; not sure if we want to stay that far, but the rate was really good - ~$93/nt. Any recs?
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Try this one--this is the only place we stay in StA. Nice big clean rooms, great price and location (2 blocks to the Bridge of Lions). Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a chain hotel (ie. golf course) but for a reliable newish mom and pop motel within easy walk of the historic district, it can't be beat. Keep in mind that parking/driving in the historic district can eat up time, so this is a real convenience, and you're also on the beach side. Nearby Anastasia State Park beach is a gem--long stretches of undeveloped beach with fine, white sand.

http://www.anastasiainn.com/

If you want something more upscale, I'd recommend that you check out the numerous B and B's near the historic district--there are some in your price range, especially if you'll be there mid-week, and September isn't high season.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM

One of those nice B&Bs near the historic district is Old City House http://www.oldcityhouse.com/ They have an outstanding location and wonderful breakfasts (included with your bed). Let me also add that they have very good dinners as well.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Orlando Vic beat me to the punch. I highly recommend Old City House. And for a great lunch just walk across the street to the City Hall and head downstairs to the old pool area to Cafe Alcazar. Have a great time. St. Augustine is a lot of fun and I wouldn't want to be anywhere other than the historic district.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips; I think it will be better to stay closer to the historic district. We'll be staying over a weekend so we don't want to waste time looking for parking.