St Augustine B & B

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

St Augustine B & B

My wife and I are looking for a very nice bed and breakfast in St. Augustine for a romantic getaway- Any suggstions??
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:54 PM

We stayed at the Casa de Solana about a year and 1/2 ago and really enjoyed it. It is an old, refurbished 1700's home in the downtown area, close walking to everything. We stayed in the Montejurra room upstairs - very comfortable. Every night we sat on the balcony and listened to the music from a nearby restaurant. The owners are very friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were wonderful. I highly recommend it. We'd return in a heartbeat. Check out their website at casadesolana.com.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM

I've always wanted to stay at the Casa Monica Hotel. The St. Francis House looks lovely -- it's a sister B&B of the Casa de Solana, so the website says.

Unfortunately, I've not stayed at either. I always end up at the hotel on the other side of the bridge because I love the view (and it's cheap and I'm usually just passing through) -- but the rooms are pathetic. I wish someone would buy it and upgrade. From that side of the bridge, looking over the river to St. Augustine, it looks like Paris.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:29 PM
GoTravel

When I was in St. Augustine in September, I spent an entire day dragging my husband through B&Bs. Mind you I didn't stay at any of these but these were my favorites.

On the Bay:

Casa de La Paz (www.CasadelaPaz.com)
Casablanca Inn (www.CasablancaInn.com)

Not on the bay:

The Inn on Charlotte Street (www.InnOnCharlotte.com)
Whale's Tale Bed & Breakfast (www.WhalesTaleBandB.com)

Bayfront Cool 1950s Well Kept Motel with Pool:

The Monteray Inn (www.TheMontereyInn.com)

Historic Hotel:

Casa Monica Hotel (www.CasaMonica.com)

Again, I haven't stayed in any of these places but I did walk through lobbies, talk to employees, and check out rooms. All are well located. The Monterey Inn is the least romantic but it has this wonderful 1950s feel and it has a pool.

Good luck!

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 03:34 AM

I stayed at the St. Francis Inn about 3 years ago. It was spread out over several old houses close to the historic district. We had an excellent breakfast and they had a wine and cheese hour in the evening but I didn't attend as I was taking classes. (Historic Preservation).

It was a large enough B&B to not be intrusive. LMF
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:17 AM

If you're on a budget, check out the Pirate Haus Inn on Treasury street. Weekend rates are $56 and include all you can eat pancakes. They don't put on airs like the much more expensive other BnB's and it has dorm rooms which suit the travelling backpackers, so you're sure to meet an international crowd. No TV's in the rooms as they prefer you to socialize with other guests.