Hotel in St. George, UT

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in St. George, UT

We will be in Saint George for one Friday in September. I already have reservations at the Ambassador Inn. As for reviews on the Ambassador, I found only one positive, but no negative reviews on tripadvisor.com. We just want a clean hotel--nothing fancy for under $100. The only hotel that seemed to have consistent positive reviews was the Best Western Abbey Inn, but there are no rooms available. I am hoping that someone may have had an experience with the Ambassador Inn. Even some of the more expensive hotels had some awful reviews. I am continuing to check with the BW for a cancellation.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:12 PM

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in St. George and I thought it was very nice. The rooms were fairly spacious and very clean. The free breakfast in the morning was very good for a continental breakfast
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:50 PM

I've stayed at the Ramada Inn, and the accomodations were fine. Easy access from I-15, right next door to the outlet shops, and within walking distance of several restaurants (my choice, Cafe Rio).
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Haven't stayed at the Ambassador. I've stayed at Fairfield Inn, which was nice with a decent breakfast. Recently stayed at the Best Inn and Suites. It was very basic, and I was not pleased with the management (Mr. Patel). Do not stay anywhere on St. George Blvd.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Ms. Jingles,

Why did you say not to stay near St. George Blvd? Is it a high crime area?

I just checked the Fairfield Inn--they also have no rooms available for the night we will be there.

In a local guide book I received from Saint George said the Ambassador was recently renovated. This made me feel a little better.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM

No need to worry about crime in St. George! I lived there for three years and it's very safe. The motels on St. George Blvd are very out of date and cheesy. They just remind me of run-down Motel 6's or those little dumps you see driving through towns with a population of 100!! I have stayed in two motels on St. George Blvd and the owners are just VERY cheap. Did you pick up on the last name of the last manager I was unhappy with? Let's just say they tend not to believe in pleasing the customer and the rooms, towels, necessities are no frills.

My experience at the Best Inn and Suites was that I booked a room for $49 over the phone. When I got there, they charged $65 plus $10 pet fee. I said I had been told it was $49, and the desk clerk said he'd have to talk to the owner in the morning. The owner denied that $49 was even a rate. I was ticked and eventually he knocked $10 off my total charge. Just make sure you can make an internet booking wherever you stay!!

Oh, and consider some B&B's in St. George. There are some cute ones.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:59 PM

We stayed at the Comfort Suites in St. George in December and were very pleased with the breakfast, the room, and the swimming pool. The grounds were pretty too. We got a very reasonable rate. You can check the website: choicehotels.com and select "Internet Users Rate". I alway give a call directly to the hotel too. Some times a web-site has a better price, some times you do better with a person.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 09:30 PM

I agree wiht Ms Jingles as a 12 year resident of this lovely community our crime is null and void. Really a great place to live with no bad, high crime areas.
To bad Abbey Inn is full it is the nicest in town but Hampton, Ramada, Holiday Inn ARE GREAT. I think the Best Western Coral Inn and the Hilton Four Points are good also. Good Luck!

If you are like most people who visit they want to move here to.

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 04:39 AM

Hey tweety13, too bad that the Abbey Inn is booked. It is a great place, very good breakfast, comfy rooms. Keep trying!

Before we found the Abbey, we used to stay at the Comfort Suites. It's fairly new and the rooms are comfortable, even has a fold-out couch which gives you something else to sit on other than a bed. The breakfast was, IMO, so-so, but certainly adequate. However, there were only a few tables, totally packed, which made it impossible to eat there. So we treked our stuff back to our room. Again, nice to have the couch area.

On the downside, it's right next to the freeway. So if you stay there, try to request a room away from the freeway if you don't want the noise.

And if you're in town for dinner, right across from The Abbey is a steakhouse called Claim Jumper (not related to the chain in California). Good food, friendly service, very convenient.

Happy travels y'all!

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Let us know where you stayed and how it went!