Back from Northwest - Thanks all

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm back from a great trip to the Pacific NW and wanted to thank Gardyloo, Orca, Kimamom and everyone else who gave me great advice, suggestions and ideas.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM

You're very welcome! Could you give us some details of your trip, inquiring minds want to know!! Where did you stay, eat, which places did you love the most? ***kim***
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

I would be delighted to give you details of our trip. I hope they're not too boring.

We arrived Thursday night 8 pm at the airport, rented a car, drove to Fifth Avenue Suites and got a beautiful 2 room suite, high ceilings. My partner was disappointed that the windows didn't open, but otherwise impressive. Walked the streets for about a mile to explore, then fell right to sleep.

Friday, we wanted to drive the Columbia Gorge/Mt. Hood loop. We started out before 9 am and took the scenic drive to Vista House (pouring driven rain), hiked from Latourell Park to the falls & Multnomah Falls (no rain), drove to Bonneville Dam to gaze at the fish migrate up the fish ladder (rain). Around 12:30 we decided not to proceed to Mt. Hood (pouring rain and radio predicting possible temperatures in the 40s), so we returned to Seattle. By 2 pm we were having lunch in a wonderful pan-Asian restaurant (DragonFish?) in the center city recommended by the hotel desk. After, we marched all over the city center, waterfront, Chinatown. Stopped and toured the Chinese garden - exquisite (sun shining brilliantly) - and enjoyed the architecture (usually raining), even got up to Northwest neighborhood to soak in the feel. After walking many miles and another drenching downpour(around 7:30 - 8:00) we began to hunger and opted for dinner in the hotel, which was terrific.

Saturday a.m. we walked the neighborhood again for over an hour in gorgeous sunshine, then checked out and drove to Mt. St. Helens. Great displays, but the peak got more and more socked in as we drove up. Still so interesting and, of course, spiced afterwards by today's news!

By 4 pm we were on our way to Aberdeen Wash. Spent the night at a new utilitarian hotel (name eludes me). Bought picnic lunches and supplies for next day.

Next day, the rain forests. Drove to Quinault Lake by 9 am, hiked several trails (approx 3.5 miles total), check out Lodge, drove the loop, stopped at a secluded spot on the lake, no one passing us on the dirt road, had our picnic, & marveled at the ecology. And the sun was brilliant!!

Drove to Hoh Rain Forest after a brief stop at Kalaloch to gaze at the Pacific. Getting late in the day, but we hiked another 2.5+ miles over 2 trails. On the way out, we were further rewarded by sighting of Roosevelt Elk.

Overnight Sun at Forks. Smoked salmon dinners. Convenient, comfortable stopover.

Mon a.m Drove early to Crescent Lake, checked out lodge, hiked to Marymere Falls, then about an additional mile deeper into the rain forest. Returned to car and drove to Pt Angeles. Then up to Hurricane Ridge, where we hiked for another 3 hours or so. Breathtakingly sunny clear views of mountains and glaciers. Found a great waterfront room, reasonably price, at the Red Lion Inn for 2 nights. Dungeness crab dinners.

Tues a.m. off to Victoria and Butchart Gardens. Another sunny balmy day. Victoria Express ferry not too crowded, and we saw a school of Orcas en route. Grey Lines to Butchart Gardens - bus moved at 10 mph. Butchart Gardens world class ( I love & visit many gardens), though at times too many tourists induced claustrophobia.

Lunched back in Victoria at a fantastic Thai restaurant, emphasis on fish. Then marched for hours through streets and waterfront. Ferry back to Pt Angeles.

Wed am, departed for Dungeness Spit in light rain, first hiked on ridge high above the water for a mile or so, soaked in the atmosphere, then ventured out into the spit for another mile. We drove to Sequim, sighting close up a bald eagle on the way. I had visited Sequim 30 years ago when my brother lived there - lots of new houses. Then continued to Pt. Townsend, lunch (fish & seafood), hiked Ft, Worden (rain), driving tour of historical buildings, walked streets, (skies cleared). At night we saw a movie "Delovely" in a former nickolodeon theatre, now called the Rose, complete with early 20th century wall murals. Movie was perfect for the theatre.

Thurs a.m off to Seattle ( after another early morning mile or so walk in PT). Rain. Ferry on Bainbridge Island to downtown. Rain. Arrived at hotel (Westin Hotel, high floor, great views, lovely room) before lunch and check in, so deposited bags and walked to tour Pike Street Mkt. Foggy. Explore Pike St Mkt, waterfront, late lunch at McCormack & Schicks - fantastic local seafood and fish. Now sunny. Walk north. Saw new library. Passed theatre presenting the musical lay "Hairspray," which we saw in NYC in 2002. On a whim, bought tickets high in the balcony for $25 each (cheap by NYC standards). Then proceeded was to Seattle Center by 4 pm, where we bought a pass for the the Sci Fi museum (entered immediately and loved it), the Space Needle (ascended around 5:30 or 6:00 in clear skies), and the Experience Music Project (saved for Friday). Hiked back into downtown by different avenues, stopping for espresso ( a common occurrence throughout our Pacific NW tour), and arriving at the theatre for an 8:00 pm performance. Great performance to an appreciative audience, and the theatre was a showcase of NW Pacific/Asian architecture.

Surprise after dinner. No place open to eat! We're used to seeing shows in NYC or London, where restaurants are open by the dozens late into the evening (though we're generally not night folks). Only restaurant we found downtown had a 20 minute wait, so we decided to crash instead.

Friday, our last day, was kamikaze Seattle. Down in fog to Pioneer Square and ID. Salivated at the Uwajimaya supermarket. Back to Pike St Mkt (sky clearing) and salivated some more with a break for lunch (Polynesian/Asian/Fish&Seafood). Yum!

Decided to take the bus to Fremont to briefly see one outer neighborhood. Quick photo stops at the sculptures of the troll & Lenin. Then back to Seattle Center for an hour and half at the Experience Music Project.

Incidentally, we chose the sights at the Seattle Center because we have toured many many art museums and aquariums elsewhere. We felt the Seattle Center sights were not replicated elsewhere and were pleased with our decision.

Enjoyable Italian dinner at Al Fornaio's ended our run on Asian & fish/seafood choices for this trip.

After dinner, we walked another couple of miles aimlessly around downtown, retiring around 9 to 10 pm.

Saturday, drove to airport in fog and departed for the northeast, having savored every minute of our trip and exploration of the Pacific NW. Our only regret, as usual, was insufficient time to see and savor more.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:30 PM

WOW, you really kept moving.
Wasn't the 5th Ave Suites a great hotel?! You just missed the good weather, we were there from the 20th until the 30th and not one day of mist!
We went up to the falls, loved it.
Did you take a zillion photos? LOL I did. Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip..
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:48 PM

woodstockguy,
Great trip report! I really appreciate the energy you captured in this--I live here and you even gave me some ideas! Thanks for posting.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:15 PM

Great, great report. I even printed it and put it in my "to do on a future trip file". Really sounds like you had a fast and fun visit!
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

It was lots of fun for me to type this thread and remember our trip. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it.

5th Ave Suites was a great hotel, recommended by many fodorites. I have no complaints about the weather, which was probably more sunny than rainy by percentage.

We took lots of pictures and loved every minute.

I wish the Pacific Northwest was a closer journey from the northeast US. I'd love to see more and will, but probably not for a few years. Alas!

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:48 PM

Did you take a non-stop flight? We had to fly to Atlanta then on to PDX, coming home was through Houston.

Will you be posting your photos anywhere online?
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

We flew nonstop from Newark to Portland on Continental. Used frequent flyer miles to upgrade to 1st class because otherwise we would have sat apart, both in middle seats.

We returned nonstop from Seattle to Newark, coach, but the plane was not full.

Since 9/11 I try to choose travel destinations where I don't have connecting flights.

My pics are downloaded into my hard drive, but I don't have a website where I can post them for viewing.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Sounds like you had a really good trip and were able to enjoy a great variety of activities! And you even got to see the Orcas. Lucky you! My fodors name "Orcas" is more a wish than a reality. I believe they made a chewing gum commercial after my experience with the Orcas. We took a ferry once to Victoria and I stayed on top of the boat a couple of hours. I ducked below for a few minutes to get a chocolate bar, and that is when the pod passed right by the ferry. My family still jokes about that one. We've gone to the San Juans a lot, even in our own boat, and I always miss the Orcas. I keep trying, though!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:22 AM

Great report! We visited Seattle for the first time last summer. We stayed at the Edgewater Hotel, of course, directly on the water. It was a gorgeous hotel. Four days in Seattle still wasn't enough for us to see everything we wanted to see.

We want to visit the San Juans next summer and spend more time in this area. ***kim***
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip, you did so much!! Thanks for posting all that. My friend and I also recently went to Hairspray on a whim a few weeks ago! Fantastic!

so sorry you didn't get to the great late night dining spots downtown. There are actually tons of them!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

It's been great reliving our trip and reading the replies everyone posted. I thought the details would be boring to everyone else!

I hope I can give helpful hints to others who travel, just as all the wonderful fodorites gave me their views and hints that helped us make this trip.

LONG LIVE FODORITES!!
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 03:20 PM

See, woodstockguy, aren't you glad I pressed you for details? LOL ***kim***
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Yes kim. Thanks very much. LOL