Reload this Page >

Just arrived in Seattle on vacation...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 03:55 PM
Josh

My wife and I just flew in to Seattle this morning from Kansas City. We'll be in town for a week.
For the last couple weeks the forecasts looked great for this week, but now it seems that it's going to get quite rainy... obviously, the indoor attractions will be unaffected. My question: will outdoor activities, such as Victoria, the Olympic peninsula, and other miscellaneous sightseeing be completely thwarted by the weather? The absolute incredible beauty of this area is most of the reason we're here, and I'm praying that we'll get enough breaks here and there to allow for those activities.
Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 04:02 PM
xxx

The weather can change quickly, so don't get disappointed too quickly. Seattle residents love living here despite some rain. Go out and enjoy our beautiful area. You might get a little wet, but you won't mind when you're out seeing all of the splendid scenery.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 09:12 PM
Brad

Noooo, Josh, don't get dissapointed one bit. Though not a Seattle resident, I love the area and despite some rain I am sure that you will still see the majesty of the scenery in the Northwest. Now, if you were experiencing zero visibility fog, that would be dissapointing but wouldn't last long even if that were the case. That notwithstanding, the scenery of the area will be there for you to view rain or not. Besides, rain is a part of life in that area of the country, and there is something about a misty forest on the peninsula that is magical. I am confident you will enjoy what you see no matter if the sun decides to poke its head out that day or not.

Victoria is one of my favorite cities in the world because I think it is such an astethically pleasing package, I really hope you enjoy it. I recommend having high tea at the Princess Hotel.

Enjoy your stay.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 09:23 PM
melfie

ditto the previous posts. the rain is a major part of why this is such a beautiful corner of the world. do NOT miss the Olympic Peninsula.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:26 AM
Josh

Thanks for all the replies! That's what we decided--we're just going to go forward with all of our plans. We'll just drop by the local Target and pick up an umbrella or two...
One more question. Our hotel is in Lynnwood, very close to the Edmonds ferry. Can we see a lot of the Olympic peninsula in one day if we get an early start?

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:56 AM
tt

Josh, get off computer now and go out. Have a blast. You are in a beautiful place.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 11:10 AM
Ted J

It's unlikely you'll see everything in one day. My wife and I spent 4 days on the Olympic Penninsula earlier this summer and still didn't get to do everything we wanted.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 11:55 AM
Tony Hughes

I've never heard of the Princess Hotel in Victoria. Do you mean the Empress?

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 09:15 PM
Michele

I'm writing to you from within walking distance of the ferry dock in Kingston -- the other side of the route you're contemplating for your trip to the Peninsula. Whatever you do, don't try to return by ferry to Edmonds tomorrow (Monday)afternoon/evening ... Labor Day travelers will have traffic backed up for miles, and you'll find yourself waiting for hours. Best thing: take off tomorrow (there shouldn't be a wait going westbound), and spend a night (or more) along the way. There should be plenty of openings in lodgings since most kids are starting back to school this week. Enjoy our area!