Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How to kill time in Seattle when it's raining?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it's going to rain during the entire labor weekend in seattle. I think I make a bad decision that took seattle as destination. But what else can I do now? Everything is booked.

We plan to go to Mt. Rainier and whale watching. If it rains, is it still possible to do?

Blame the rain.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Hi jz166. Don't despair. First, it's really hard to predict the weather here that far out. Second, we distinguish between rain and showers here. It generally doesn't "rain," which is heavy stuff you get in the rest of the country. If the weather report says "showers," it's often a light misting rain and there are frequently sunny or at least dry parts of the day that are fine for sight-seeing. I'd think whale watching in showers would not be a problem.

As for Mt. Rainier, it is often sunny on the east side, at a place called Sunrise when it is wet on the west side and at Paradise Lodge.

Still, it wouldn't be great to go to Mt. Rainier if it's socked in all around. If it's dry east of the Cascades, you could head for the farside, and visit Lake Chelan, the Methow Valley or other places east.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Do as locals do.

Movies - Seattle has one of the highest, if not the highest, rates of movie attendence in the country.

Books - Seattleites buy more books than anyone else in the country.

Pike Market, Uwajimaya, ferries - all under cover.

Or just ignore it like the rest of us. No rain, no salmon to fling around the market.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Rain in Seattle is romantic! My husband suggested that we fly there for the weekend, but that would be too long to leave the kids right now.

I really want to see Teatro Zinzanni next time we're in Seattle. Hopefully, next summer or this spring. I sure missed going there this summer. Smile at the Rain! ***kim***
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:06 PM

how on earth do you have a forecast for labor day already? I live here and I don't even know what it's going to be like tonight!!!

Are you made of brownsugar? Do you melt when wet? For goodness sake get out there and act like a local! Wear your goretex and go to Bumbershoot! Drink good beer and eat roasted salmon! What to do when it rains???? Anything! Everything!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:15 PM

I think only the very young can talk about "killing time." At my age, that's the last thing in the world I want to do!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:08 PM
jor

Asking how to "kill time" is really negative. It rains in Seattle and its hot in Las Vegas. I spent a week in the Inside Passage area of Alaska where they get up to 12 ft. of rain per year. It comes with the territory. A rainy day can be fantastic in the Pacific Northwest. The scent of the forrest after the rain is intoxicating.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Good Van Gogh show at Seattle Art Museum will still be on...lots of other more indoor type activities--check Seattleweekly.com or nwsource.com.

And as stormygirl pointed out...it's impossible to predict that far in advance, especially here! Besides, it's tough to plan almost any vacation and count on the weather. We were in Spain last November and it rained as much as I've ever seen it here (and no, the rain in Spain does not stay mostly on the plain!) and it hailed last time we were in San Diego!

(And you won't melt--none of us have yet!)
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Yes, rain definitely does not stop locals! We just moved from Seattle to Portland and even went tent camping in the rain this week, lol!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Damn, I'm in Seattle Labor Day weekend with mainly hiking on the agenda.
Hello, Gore-tex. And much food and beers starting maybe a tad earlier in the evening than orignally planned. This is so gonna suck

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:45 PM

You just named my all-time favorite thing to do...hike in the rain!!! There are fewer people on the trails and much more wildlife to see. Plus the mud puddles are lots of fun Yes, I know most people prefer dry...my dh was teasing me today saying "being dry is so overrated", lol!
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:54 AM

I guess that's why the rest of us have never considered telling anyone who lives in Seatlle that they should "Come in out of the rain" since reality can be quite cruel.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to the REI store which is pretty cool in and of itself but also where you can buy ... rain gear!

If you really must stay dry, go to the Experience Music Project. Great museum on the origins of rock and roll in an amazing building.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Remember Bumbershoot, the big music festival, will be taking place at the Seattle Ctr. over Labor Day weekend. The whole area will be crowded, including EMP. Bumbershoot tickets include price reductions at EMP, the Space Needle, and other places at the Seattle Ctr.
Alas, yesterday was the last day to purchase Bumbershoot tickets at a reduced price. Now a one day pass for an adult is $25.
The weather is great in Seattle right now, by the way. Not broiling anymore. Thank goodness!
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Since my husband is originally from Seattle I can say this. Get a couple of bottles of nice wine(Chateau st. Michelle? which is from the area) and just DRINK-helps me pass the time with the in-laws everytime? Just be glad that you are not there in January-bone chilling rainy days.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:40 PM

What is the REI store? ***kim***
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM

HAHA, I am waiting on dh right now so we can head to REI. Love that store!!!

Kim, it is an outdoor store that began in Seattle, and their flagship store there has a great climbing wall. There are REI's all over the country, but the Seattle store just is something special.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM

I just read about it on Tripadvisor! It sounds really nice, but some poster over there hated it, said the sales clerks were awful and that they are way over-priced. Of course, I don't pay much attention to comments like that.

I'm in the market for a new mountain bike, do they have one of those stores in CA anywhere or just the PNW? ***kim***
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Visit the new public library downtown. It is wonderful!!
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Jaye, I thought I was the only one who did this, LOL! I go through so many book, it's much more economical than buying a bunch at Border's, Powells, etc., IMO

When we first started going to Astoria on vacation, all the kids would hang out there reading if it was raining. When my daughter was about six she won some award there for reading the most books one summer!

We all had our own library cards, even my hubby would do research and spend lots of time there. That's a wonderful suggestion! ***kim***

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -