Spring break trip with granddaughters to Arizona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any suggestions/recommendations for a week in late March with 2 granddaughters (9 and 13), their parents and me, Grammy? We would probably fly into Phoenix, stay there a few days allowing us to visit Heard Museum and other local offerings, spend a couple of nights in Sedona, visiting Jerome along the way and maybe make it up to the south rim of GC for a night. I would like the girls to learn something about Native American history and the southwest, as well. We are from the East Coast. I appreciate your comments including suggested hotels, restaurants and attractions. Thanks!
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 06:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Another possibility and slightly less touristed might be to go south instead of north.

- Fly into Tucson.
- Visit the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum:https://www.desertmuseum.org/
- Head southeast to Kartchner Caverns State Park: https://azstateparks.com/kartchner
- Visit Tombstone http://www.tombstonechamber.com/ on the way to a couple of nights in Bisbee (my home for 25 years) http://www.discoverbisbee.com/ a much more interesting combo than Sedona/Jerome.
- Swing east on your way back to Tucson to the Amerind Foundation http://www.amerind.org/ and, if there's time, the stunning landscape of Chiracahua National Monument https://www.nps.gov/chir/index.htm

You won't be sorry.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 08:04 AM

Last spring break we were in Arizona.

One thing in Phoenix we enjoyed was the Musical Instrument Museum. https://mim.org/
I am typically one who could get bored in museums, but I could have spent hours at this place! My daughter was with me too. She enjoyed it...she was 11 at the time.

We passed through Sedona to eat lunch and we did a jeep tour. While the jeep tour was fun, it was lots of money for a short amount of time. Kids enjoyed it, my wallet didn't. Wish I would have found a better deal or Groupon on that activity. We also did one or two short hikes in Sedona. On our route from Sedona to Phoenix, we stopped by Montezuma's castle. It's a neat sight to see, but not much else. My kids were underwhelmed.

My favorite place that we visited was Page, Arizona...in northern Arizona. We went kayaking, visited the canyons and saw Horseshoe Bend.

Happy Planning!
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 12:25 PM

How about taking in a Cactus League baseball game? Looks like a lot of teams will be having spring training games starting in late February. There is a big stadium in Scottsdale.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 03:56 PM

If you're going the last week of March, you'll want to check on lodging at the Grand Canyon ASAP. April 1st is Easter and I would expect that weekend to be pretty busy there. If the timing works, you might want to go to the Grand Canyon midweek instead.

MmePerdu's itinerary is good too.

I'd suggest driving the Apache Trail while in the Phoenix area.

Check out the junior ranger activities at each national park/monument.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 02:25 AM

For early history in addition to Montezuma's castle, About 10 miles east of Flagstaff, just off I-70 is Walnut Canyon. This is a Native American site with cliff dwellings that you can hike up to and actually go in to. There are stairs to get up to the sites

There are also pink jeep tours that will include some sites closer to Sedona.

If you go into or out of Grand Canyon by the east entrance you can go by Wupatki, another site with ruins just off route 89.

Check for a ranger led hike in GC, some are appropriate for adults and kids.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 12:20 PM

The Museum of Northern Arizona is a museum in Flagstaff

Repository for Native American artifacts and natural history specimens from the Colorado Plateau.

Pioneer Museum--Arizona Historical Society
Former hospital built in 1908 housing remnants of northern Arizona's farming & transportation past.

Agree with Walnut Canyon. It is about 800 foot down to the ruins on a stair-step descent with several resting places. Well worth a visit. About 4 miles east of Flagstaff. About 1 miles north are the Elden Ruins. About 30 miles north are the fabulous Waputki Ruins

Vaga
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 04:45 PM

We did a similar trip with our two daughters in March. They were about 12 and 15 at the time but we've visited Scottsdale several times before that. On the trip that we visited the Grand Canyon, we flew into Phoenix, rented a car and drove directly to Sedona (an easy drive, about 2 hrs). Stayed 2 nights in Sedona (that's enough time there, not much for kids to do unless you hike). The first full day in Sedona we got up early and drove to the Grand Canyon. We hiked in the Grand Canyon and were back at our hotel in Sedona by 4-5 pm. It was super busy there so we were glad to arrive early (I think by 9am). We didn't see the need to stay the night but others will say otherwise. (By the way, with the time change from east coast to AZ, it was very natural to wake up early, almost too early, each day.)

In Sedona you can also do the Pink Jeep tour which is a ton of fun for adventurous kids - reserve it early (ie as soon as you plan your trip) if you want to do that. We have stayed at The Kimpton and The Best Western in Sedona, both fine.

When our kids were about 10 and 7 we drove to Jerome and were kind of disappointed. Didn't feel there was much to see, but that's just my opinion.

On the way to or from Sedona from Phoenix, you could stop at Montezuma's Castle.
When our kids learned about Native Americans in school they found this sight really interesting.

Then you can drive back to the Phoenix area. We prefer staying in Scottsdale over Phoenix, especially being from the East Coast, just because it feels more like you're staying in the desert than in a city. We've stayed at the Fairmont Scottsdale and JW Marriott Camelback and were happy with both although prefer the North Scottsdale location of the Fairmont. (Also stayed at the Westin and it was so overcrowded during spring break that I wouldn't recommend it.)

Definitely go to The Desert Botanical Garden- it's great for kids and adults.

Also try to see Native Trails. It's a free outdoor performance by Native Americans and is really interesting.

There are some very easy hikes in the area with gorgeous views over the desert. More strenuous ones too! Hiking is very popular and you can find a hike that the whole family can do.

What's nice about visiting Arizona is the kids can learn so much just by seeing the different landscape, trying foods that are more popular in the Southwest, etc. Scottsdale has a TON of great restaurants! The weather in March is pretty much perfect vacation weather - always sunny and cool in the mornings if you'd like to do anything active. We usually do something active in the morning and then spend the afternoon at the hotel.

Good luck with your trip planning!
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 11:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Tucson- also Sabino Canyon and Mission San Xavier south of the city on the Tohono O’ odham reservation.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 11:42 AM

My favorite Indian ruin is Wupatki. At the main ruin there is the ball court and an interesting blowhole. And there are several other ruins to visit. You will probably be the only one there.

The Verde Valley railroad is a great trip.

The Musical Instrument Museum is excellent.

On my last visit to the Heard ( the first time since 5th grade ), I was underwhelmed. I felt bad about that since our neighbor worked there for years.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 02:52 AM

Booking for some great ideas.