Search

Sedona with teens

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona with teens

We are planning a trip for next April during spring break to Arizona, as I worry June/July will be too hot. My plan is to fly in and out of Phoenix and spend 6 or 7 days, taking in Sedona and the Grand Canyon. My boys are 12 and 16. Any recommendations on what to see and do? I think the Pink Jeep tour is a must! What else. I hope to spend one night at the Grand Canyon so we can experience the dusk and daybreak. Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Hi virginiatraveler.

We did a slightly shorter version of that trip last month. One night at the GC, then down to Sedona for 3 nights.

Absolutely do the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour. also do the Verde Canyon Railroad trip.

My trip report has the gory details, plus pictures. Here is the link.

http://p104.ezboard.com/feuropetogof...icID=252.topic
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 03:11 PM

My teens enjoyed eating at the martian restaurant in Sedona. Campy fun, good milkshakes.

April might still be Arizona Snowbowl weather in Flagstaff where your boys could ski. Flagstaff is on the way to GC.

You might also look into Jerome.

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM
emd

I have spent several weeklong trips in Sedona with my teens (girl, age 13 on our last week trip to Sedona in 12/05, and boy, age 15). How active are you? If your teens are like ours, they would enjoy renting mountain bikes and going on a great bike ride or two with at least one of you. That is their favorite thing to do, and we usually do this on at least two or three days.

We usually go on at least one, and many times two, hikes a day while we are there.

For variety, as Mike suggested, we have enjoyed the Verde Canyon Rail trip. I wondered if the kids would be bored, but they love it. We spring for 1st class car, which is nice, having the food bar (which my son inhales of course) and drink bar right there, and having the cozy couch atmosphere. We spend about half the time inside the car and half the time outside in the open air car.

We have spent a week in April in Sedona three times, and on two of those trips we did a trail ride with Trail Horse Adventures, out by Red Rock State Park. The kids loved that, as we did.

http://www.trailhorseadventures.com/trailrides.html

If your trip coincides w/a full moon, there is a wonderful full moon evening hike at Red Rock State Park, complete w/big telescopes after the hike. I highly recommend this and we do it whenever we can.

Also, the ruins at Palatki and Honaki in west Sedona were interesting for my teens. You can combine that w/some hiking in west Seodna, our favorite area to hike.

Trout fishing in Oak Creek is a very fun thing in April also. We have done this up around Junipine resort.

Most of all, they will enjoy the outdoor time with you. Even if you just do modest hikes, it will be a world away with them. I admire you for doing a week in Sedona. Most people just do a day or two or three, and then move on. I love having a week there w/my kids.

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:33 AM
emd

Also, the Museum of Northern AZ in Flagstaff is worth a trip. They have had some nice special exhibits when we have gone there. And you get the drive through Oak Creek Canyon, one of themost scenic drives in the USA, on the way to and from Flag. And the Lowell Observatory, where Pluto was discovered, is in Flag, They have one night a month where they open up their big telescopes and have them aimed at planets so you can view them.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:26 AM

I agree with all the suggestions above. We took our boys on a hummer tour, same type thing as Pink Jeep but with a hummer - which they really enjoyed. Enter the Grand Canyon through the eastern entrance. It's less crowded, plus you can see Sunset Crater and Wupatki (spelling?) National Parks.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Whats the current temps there in Grand Canyon - South Rim these days? On weather.com, its showing as 31F , so I dont know whether its the north or the south rim they are showing.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM

I live in Phoenix, and quite often do weekend getaways to Sedona just for their hikes. I highly recommend hiking the West Fork in Oak Creek. It's absolutely stunning views will amaze you. It's a relatively easy hike that even the inexperienced hiker can do. Your teenagers should also enjoy. You will cross creeks, and in the end get to a point where all there is, is a canyon and water, then it's time to return, unless you want to treat or swim through the canyon to continue the hike. The hike with stopping, taking pictures should take about 6 hours, unless you're just there to hike then much less. The hike is 6 miles round trip. Just bring water with you and enjoy it. Sedona is about nature and enjoying it as much as possible. Another great hike is the Broken Arrow, which is more difficult- but again the views are incredible...Hope you will enjoy your stay!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 02:02 PM
emd

Just FYI, if you hike Broken Arrow, you will be sharing the trails w/many jeep tours all day long. It is a very noisy trail to hike due to this.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Whats the current temps there in Grand Canyon - South Rim these days?
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

I have read somewhere about float/ river trips near Page that go through canyons, I think about 5 hours long. Can someone direct me where to find information on this?
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:36 AM

One more thought, the Grand Canyon Railway runs from Williams to the Grand Canyon. Williams is approx. one hour from Sedona. Train ride is great! Local pizza hang-out is Pizza Heaven off 89A in West Sedona.