spring break suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for spring break ideas, middle of March. Traveling with two daughters 15 & 18. Do not want to go to Mexico but do want some place warm without breaking the bank. We did Hawaii last year and loved it but looking to spend not as much money.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
GoTravel

What about Key West?

Anywhere the middle of March that is warm is peak season and will be expensive.

Mexico is really one of the best bargains out there.

Costa Rica and the Dominican might be nice.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM

My husband and I were looking for a less expensive alternative to Hawaii - love Hawaii, but it's pricey. We went to Costa Rica and absolutely loved it; March is the warmest time of year for most of CR. There's active volcanoes, waterfalls, natural hot springs, monkeys and other wildlife, ziplines, cheap food, beaches - really lots of great spots to visit.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

volcano- where abouts did you stay in costa rica, do you have a city name or lodging place? I know what you mean, we loved Hawaii but with one in college and one not far from college we need something a little cheaper but still want to get away!
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Hi, jlkids - our first trip was probably the most common one that first-timers take. We did a combination of Manuel Antonio that has the beach, sailing, mangrove tours, horseback riding, and a National Park full of wildlife and then Arenal which has an active volcano, waterfall, a great daytrip to Cano Negro which is a river boat ride where you'll see howlers, capuchins, sloths, and a variety of birds, and natural hot springs like Tabacon, and ziplines like Sky Trek. My husband and I tend to stay in kind of poshy places, but CR offers a huge variety of price ranges. One of the best meals we had was 12 bucks total for the both of us and included two Imperials.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you sure all of Mexico is out? The entire country? That would be the obvious warm weather destination that doesn't break the bank coming from the U.S.

What about a different place in Hawaii and not spending as much money? Depending on where you are coming from (airfare) Hawaii can be done on the cheap.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 04:51 PM

What about a caribbean cruise? Lots of choices of activities and usually pretty affordable.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Do something really different. Let them each bring a friend, and then rent an RV. Head to the mountains, the beach, Disney or whatever. If you have any interest, just send me an email and I will try to recommend an RV Rental Dealer as close to you as possible.

While I'm in the business, I'm also an RVer and have enjoyed adventures, and not just vacations.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM

2 years ago we took our 17 and 18 year old sons to Costa Rica. We had a great time. Zip canopy tours, volcanoes, and beautiful beaches. I would love to go back there again.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM

I also would suggest Costa Rica. We took our 8, 9, and 12 yo this summer and they had a ball. We did Manuel Antonio ( beach) and Arenal ( volcano) areas. It can be done on any budget. It all depends on your preferences. Check out the Latin forum and you'll find a wealth of info. I planned most of our trip based on suggestions from there.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Palm Springs? Palm Desert? Do you like tennis-there's a Master Series tournament in March (think Roger Federer). You don't say where your home airport is-that could be helpful.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Our home airport is Minneapolis/St Paul. By the time March comes we are really tired of our MN weather! I love the suggestions, it just seems so hard to find air/hotel for under $700 a person. I found a cruise for $988, and Costa Rica was around $1200 apiece. Maybe I will keep looking for specials of some kind to go there.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM

What about Arizona? Bid for a resort room on priceline? Airfare may not be all that cheap for you but another option.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:37 PM

I think Costa Rica is winning...