Search

Spring Break?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:07 PM
gkb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Break?

Any idea what week Spring Break is for the kids of San Fran/Carmel area?
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:33 AM

Most school districts have online websites. Use a search engine to locate the website address for the district these kids attend and pull up the district calendar on that website.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:15 PM
gkb
Original Poster

I dont live in CA. so i dont know hwat the districts are... just wanted to try and avoid areas that are heavy with "breakers".
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:34 PM

San Francisco and Carmel aren't exactly typical Spring Break draws. The weather in that area in March and April tends to be cool, and spring breakers like hot places to waste Mommy and/or Daddy's money. Also: Both are expensive, and drinking ages in California are basically VERY strictly enforced.

In summary: Spring Break wouldn't strike me as really being an issue in northern CA, and in 18 1/2 years in southern CA, I can't honestly say it has ever been an issue. California tourist traffic is relatively steady.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:40 PM

I went to Yahoo and did a search on "schools san francisco" and found the category: California > San Francisco > School Districts. Inside that category was a link to the San Francisco Unified School District website. On the website was a calendar which shows Spring Break for the district to be April 12-16.

I'm sure you can find similar information for the Carmel area.

Generally for K-12 in this area, spring break is the week before or the week after easter. Colleges are staggered and can be anytime in March or April.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:40 PM

In our area the elementary and high schools get either the week before or after Easter off. Easter is April 11th. I've never heard of big teen thing in the area at that time BUT I know that many people take advantage of their children being out of school to go siteseeing and do things...we did when our boys were young.

Utah~tea (Lives in S.F. Bay Area)
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Abi

Spring Break in SF or Carmel. I couldn't think of a coldler climate than those places at that time of year. Unless you are coming from Alaska, I wouldn't recommend it. My pick in CA would be LA or San Diego.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Spring Break in Northern California is March 22-26.--high school.
Don't know about colleges.
I agree with Utahtea. It is not so much the high school kids going places but the family get aways.
I have heard Palm Springs and San Diego get very busy during this time AND the ski areas if the snow is still "good"
Hope this helps.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:16 AM

The weather on the central Californian coast is usually pretty nice that time of year - certainly not hot so if a person's plan is to sunbathe on the beach and swim in the ocean, then no it's probably not a good time to visit, in that case come in September, but for general sightseeing, the weather will probably be glorious.

Incidently, I was down in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area yesterday and although the air was a little chilly (I think the high was around 65 ?F), the weather was spectacularly clear. It was absolutely beautiful.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:17 AM

abi, not sure where you live, but there are plenty of places colder than the 60s in late march, and i'm not talking about alaska. we're planning to visit San Fran./carmel area that week as well while our kids are on spring break from their high school in chicago, and neighbors have told us the weather was gorgeous last year during that week.

we're not expecting to sunbathe or swim, just to view the beautiful california coast and enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in the world!