Special Occasion in Orlando

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Special Occasion in Orlando

We have a daughter turning 16 while in orlando area. Any comments to celebrate?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM

Are you requesting recommendations for a celebratory dinner? Are you staying at Disney? I was going to recommend Jenko at Animal Kingdom Lodge for a fancy dinner. Then watch the feeding of the animals on the grounds. Is that ho-hum?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

She's pretty basic teen. Likes animals though, might not enjoy a great cuisine, as a adult would.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:54 PM
emd

Well, what does the birthday girl want? Something grown up, or something cool? A dinner and a show? Just dinner? Or do you want a special surprise (Disney has alot of those available). And where in Orlando will you be? At the parks, or visiting family somewhere else in the city, or what?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at Windsor palms. Outside of disney. A surprise would be nice, she expects nothing. We will be visiting DW and Epcot during this time of the birthday. Sorry for not being clear.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:35 AM

I love Jiko, but for a 16 year old girl...I think Ohana at the Polynesian resort or California Grill on top of the Contemporary resort.

California Grill: Watch the fireworks. Great food but lots of food that teens like. Flatbreads (sophisticated pizza) Sushi, etc.

Ohana: luau atmosphere and really a party. Lots of little kids however but a lot of fun. Many people's favorite place. View of Magic Kingdom at night. Maybe Wishes fireworks. Not sure.

LMF
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:53 AM

Hi linda, When you arrive in The Magic Kingdom, stop in the 'Town Hall' on Main Street for an "It's My Birthday" button. You will see people of all ages wearing them throughout the parks. Our dd celebrated #9 and #13 there and the CM's really made her feel special.

Your DD will receive lots of attention from cast members, which may (or may not, depending on many factors, time, crowds etc) receive little treats (desserts, stickers, balloons) going to the front of the line (rare but happened), lots of singing and good wishes.

Check out DISBOARDS.com for lots of info about this and other aspects of Disney. Have fun!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:13 AM

Take her to the Cirque Du Soleil show "La Nouba" at Downtown Disney...it's awesome !
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:14 AM
emd

You could book one of the boats at Epcot that would take your family out to see the fireworks. I tried to do this for my son's birthday but couldn't get reservations- book early.
Also, hot air balloons take off from Rt. 27 area (a few miles out west from Windsor Palms)- my husband did this once on a business trip and still raves about it.
We went to Discovery Cove for my son's birthday this year.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:03 AM

I second the California Grill suggestion --just make sure you time your dinner reservation for the fireworks and go outside to the viewing area where they pump in the synchronized music. Even my not-so-easily impressed husband was impressed.