Spanish/Mexican Restaurants in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:07 PM
Rebecca

Hello,
I'll be in SF in a few weeks (first timer)
and I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations on the best Spanish and/or Mexican restaurants... I'm especially interested in some really good Sangria!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:10 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 01:38 PM
tcapp

Years ago my husband worked in San Francisco down by the Embarcadero and loved a mexican restaurant named Pepitos. I have no idea if it is still in business, but they had a HUGE clientele.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Melissa

My cousin is a waitress at a place called Maya...very good "Mayan" type mexican food. Good atmosphere, area.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Duke

It is a chain operation, but serves good food: CHEVY'S. They have one near Moscone Center in downtown SF.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:51 PM
kam

For really authentic Mexican food you need to go to the Mission District.The area used to be all Hispanic, but now there are Vietnamese, Thai and everything you could imagine. La Rondalla is a very good Mexican on Valencia Street---not much to look at but very good food. Roosevelt Tamale Parlor is also good. Know that you are going to find a real mixed bag of people in the Mission District so be prepared to be open minded. If you want Mexican in a little more upscale area, try Cafe Marimba on Chestnut or Maya recommended above. Chevy's is just too bland if you really like Mexican. It's the kind of place that they use very little chiles and make balloon animals for the kids. Celia's is also pretty bland but a bit better than Chevy's. For Spanish tapas and a nice location my son who lives in the city often goes to Zarzuela at Hyde and Union Street in Russian Hill.Enjoy San Francisco and if you do get to the Mission Dist. make sure to see the murals. And, if you'd like to take a ferry over to Tiburon at Guyamas restaurant you'll get great Mexican in a pretty setting with a good view back to SF. That's our favorite.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Kathy

Another vote for Guaymas in Tiburon.

tcapp-Pepito's on 1st and Mission closed a long time ago. There is another Pepito's called Pepito's Parrilla in South Park. Pretty good burritos, but only open during the week.

Maya is a very good restaurant but very, very EXPENSIVE. My dinner for two, including drinks, was $80+tax+tip.

Another good Mexican restaurant is Tommy's on Geary Blvd.

Your best bet for Mexican is the Mission District. Lots of great authentic Mexican restaurants there.

Good Spanish food - I like Thirsty Bear for tapas. That's near the Moscone Convention Center.