Reload this Page >

What is a good place to eat located around the Museum of Sci & Ind in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Matt

Any recommendations? Someplace within walking distance (one mile or so) after we visit the Museum. We thought we would try some place different while we were out this way. We will most likely visit the museum on a Sunday. Thanks.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Beth

Probably not within walking distance but not too far away is the china town area. My guess is that this is about 2 miles away and you could take a short cab ride and have them drop you off at 22nd/Cermack which is the heart of chinatown. This is one of my favorite place to visit on a Sunday afternoon/evening. I like to wander in and out of the shops and stop for some really good chinese food. All menus are posted on the outside and my favs are Won Kow's and Penang. They say Three Happiness is legendary and has been there forever. I went there only once and found the interior to be dirty and the food not that authentic. This just my opinion as I have only been there once but warning you because it is listed in a few guidebooks.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Matt

Beth, Thanks for the recommendation but some family members don't care for Chinese food. Do you, or anyone else, have any other suggestions?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Pat

Matt: Check out Kentada aka Pizza Capri. It's at 1501 E. 53rd Street. Excellent pizza.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Please Leave!

Beth: Why do you continue to give either incorrect or just plain bad information regarding Chicago?? Matt specifically wants WALKING distance from the Museum of Science & Industry. Chinatown is NO WHERE NEAR IT!!! Either get yourself a map of the city or do us all a favor and stop posting. Hasn't the fact that you are reprimanded after almost every one of your postings sunk in?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Matt, things may have changed, but a few years ago (3 or 4) the neighborhood immediately surrounding that museum was pretty bad. We even felt a bit uncomfortable walking the block or two from the closest bus stop in the middle of the day.

Oh, and the museum was somewhat of an outdated bore.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Beth

Please Leave,

You need to learn how to read and comprehend what you are reading. If you review my post you will note that I never said Chinatown was within walking distance. Specifically I said it was not and that Matt would need to take a short cab ride. I mention china town because the museum is pretty far south of the downtown area with not a lot in the neighborhood surrounding it. Chinatown is an interesting neighborhood just south of downtown and would be a neat area for a tourist to visit that is a short cab ride from there. Unfortunately Matt's family is not a fan of chinese food.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:27 AM
lisa

Brian in Atlanta. You missed Hyde Park, which is an integrated and diverse neighborhood, home of one of the greatest universities in the world, the University of Chicago.

My Mom has lived in a wonderful apartment right across the park from the museum for over 30 years. I lived there in high school and have visited frequently since leaving home. I feel comfortable walking in the area of the museum and along the lakefront so long as there is daylight. At night, one takes precautions.

Alas, my mother is in Spain now, so I can't get her advise on a restaurant for you, Matt. Piccolo Mondo, an Italian place, is just across from the museum, on the corner of 56th and Cornell (on the ground floor of the Windermere building). If you pass it and walk on to 55th, there are lots of delis, bakeries and ethnic restaurants of all kinds, but I'm not sure which are good.

It think Pat's pizza idea is great, especially because Chicago pizza is the best in the world.

If it's a nice day, you might enjoy walking across the bridge over Lake Shore Drive at 56th Street. The beach will be on your right. Hang a left, and walk around the Point, which is the park that sticks out in the lake. It has great rocks to climb on, the waves are often dramatic, and there are good views of downtown from the northern side. You can loop on back to the museum, or go under Lake Shore Drive at the pedestrian tunnel near the little deer sculpture, which you'll see if you are looping, and pop out on 55th St. just north of the museum area.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:32 AM
K

Beth -

Please Leave has a point - as harshly as he put it.

Your indicates that Chinatown is about 2 miles away and that it is "probably" not within walking distance. Some people who like to walk on vacation may walk as far as 2 miles to enjoy the scenery, etc to get to a restaurant if they are told it is in fact that close. The problem here is that Chinatown is close to SIX miles from the museum. I'll have to agree that your response is misleading.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:33 AM
K

oops - "Your post"
sorry

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Dawn

Matt....The Museum is located on the far eastern edge of a fantastic neighborhood called Hyde Park, as others have mentioned. The museum is on either 57th or 59th (sorry!) - on 57th itself, just west (maybe 4 blocks) starts a great shopping/restaurant area. The Medici is fabulous, great pizzas, sandwiches, etc. Picolo Monod, as already mentioned, it truly yummy, too!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Matt

Thank you all for the responses. We have been to the the museum on a past visit and just loved it and the Hyde Park area. However, we needed some suggestions on a place to eat. I will take them all into consideration and we will just walk the suggested routes and try one of them. I appreciate the help.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:41 AM
chicagoan

Probably moot now but Chinatown is not six miles from the museum. The museum is on 57th, Chinatown is at 22nd, thats 35 blocks at 12 blocks to a mile. Sounds like 3 miles to me and I know for a fact that Chinatown is NOT another 35 blocks off the lake. It is less than a mile east of the lake so at most Chinatown is 4 miles but actually is miost likely closer to 3. Definitely not 6!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Plummie

There's a great southern/soul restaurant called, I think, the Dixie Cafe and Bait Shop. It's located in Harper's Court and should easily be within one mile of the museum.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:54 AM
a

Actually, if you look at the distance from the museum to, let's say, Phoenix in Chinatown, it is just about exactly 6 miles using randmcnalley or yahoo driving directions (not that these are always accurate). It was my understanding that there are 8 Chicago blocks to a mile. I second Dixie Kitchen at 5225 S. Harper. Very good food (I have a friend who is a LA native who loves this place) and about 1 mile away.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Please Leave!

Beth: NO. Sorry. It is YOU that does not comprehend the written word. Matt SPECIFICALLY wanted to stay in the Hyde Park area. Please do not continue to give information on areas in the city of Chicago of which you have no knowledge.
To K: Yes. Probably harsh to Beth, but damned tired of her bad responses, thick-head, and attitude.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:15 AM
ChangeYourName

Chicagoan - Sounds like you don't have a clue as to how far east the museum is - take a look a map so you can see how far east Chicago extends at 5700 South. Chinatown is NOT a straight shot north of the museum - it's also about 3 miles west of where the museum. The distance between Chinatown and the lakeshore directly east on 22nd street isn't relevant. I checked a couple of different map websites to confirm this. Maybe you should too.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:22 AM
SomeoneLooksSilly

Chicagoan -

You're getting your booty kicked on this one - check your facts before you you correct others with such "authority."

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Ang

I was going to recommend Pat's Pizza but looks like someone already did! As for the Chinatown thing, does it really matter? The poster is not interested anyway.

I will chime in and say there ARE 12 blocks in a mile in Chicago though.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:45 AM
New Math

Ang: No there are not 12 blocks to a mile - only 8! When did we convert to the metric system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -