Search

SPACE SHUTTLE.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:05 AM
europeean

SPACE SHUTTLE.

Hello.
Is it "easy" to see the launch of the space shuttle in cape Canaveral? Do I have to buy a ticket for a better place to watch ? normally they sell out in advance ? Can those tickets be bought online ?
Is there any website with schedules for the next launches?
Thanks.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:10 AM
Cindy

Jetty Park is probably the best place to see a shot, but anywhere on the beach is also fun. Try www.floridatoday.com for future dates. Good luck - launches are really something to see!!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:02 AM
carole

The official website for buying tickets is www.nasa.gov. It also lists off-site locations for viewing launches. The next launch from Cape Canaveral is scheduled for May 30th.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:17 AM
europeean

thank you all very much

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:16 AM
Big Red

I was in FL when they were supposed to send one up the first part of April. I didn't have a ticket and I'm glad I didn't. They didn't acually get it up until I was back home for three days.

NASA is very picky about when they shoot the shuttle off. The weather and mechanics have to be JUST right. The people that we saw who had tickets while we were at Kennedy (after one of the cancellations) were a little sore and saddle-worn since it was the like the third time they had put off sending it up.

I'm sure if you are watching while it takes off, it is very cool. Ticket holders have the best seats. But be prepared to stay at least a week and spend the cancelled days doing something else.

Also FYI....As you can imagine, security is high since 9/11. The day we were there, the shuttle was supposed to take off at like 5pm and they closed the gates to Cape Canaveral at 10am that morning. Be prepared for inconveniences.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:44 AM
rob

the closest place (but maybe not the best, I don't know) would be along the river off of US1 in Titusville.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They scrapped the mission today, just in case anyone was going to tune in..
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Yesterday in the news they said something fell off again, but they would launch it anyway. I, personally, feel better they've cancelled. Better safe then sorry.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:56 AM

The delay in the launch didn't have anything to do with the tiles that were knocked off - though I thought that was a bad sign. The stated reason for the delay is a faulty fuel tank sensor that read that the external fuel tank was empty when it was full. A faulty sensor could cause a crash if the sensor caused the engine to cut off too late or too early.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Actually you can have a pretty good view from the beach. Of course it's not like being in the thick of things, but it's fun and exciting to be around everybody. Kennedy Space Center used to have a launch schedule on their website - floridatoday.com might have one also.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:29 AM

8 minutes until launch !!
First female shuttle commander at the helm ....
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Eileen Collins is the first female to achieve the rank of shuttle commander, yes, but this is her second mission as commander-- and last. She's retiring from active duty after this mission (two children under the age of 10, as I recall).
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I saw it !
BEAUTIFUL !

I was laughing and crying at the same time...very quick though and then she was gone....a good day today.