Cape Cod in April

Sep 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Cape Cod in April

We have a voucher for a free companion ticket and travel must be completed by June 30. Right now, we are thinking of traveling to Cape Cod in April. Is it likely to still be cold at that time of year? April is pretty much the only time we have available to go.
Sep 20th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Yes it is likely to be cold and it also might be gorgeous and spring-like!! We just had 2 rather cold and fall-like weeks at the end of August. No predicting the weather on the Cape, so just take your chances if that is the only time to go.
Sep 20th, 2006, 04:44 PM
katybird

We went to Cape Cod in the middle of April once. It sure was quiet! We were the only ones in an ocean front hotel! It was cool and we had to bundle up walking on the beach but it was great fun.

Sep 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Where do you live and what are your other choices? Early April or late April? What do you like to do? I live here and could answer better if I knew those answers. The Cape is usually not so nice then. Can be sunny but not warm. Or maybe it will be. And socialworker is so right. There is no predicting the weather on the Cape.
Sep 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Neopolitan

Before you get too hung up on where you going, have you checked all the particulars of the "free" companion ticket. I've had a bunch of those, and so far, I've always been able to BUY two tickets for less money than the one I'd have to buy to get the free companion. In other words, the free ticket is not good in conjunction with most cheaper fares. Hopefully yours is better.

I live in Florida and the chances of my NOT thinking it's cold in Cape Cod in April are slim to none. But to someone coming out of a Minnesota winter, the same weather might seem glorious.

Sep 21st, 2006, 03:00 AM

We spent an April weekend on the Cape one year that turned rainy. Fortunately we had one gorgeous day to enjoy the thousands of spring bulbs planted along the roads. The weather caused us to stop in mid-afternoon at a tea room where we had a lovely relaxing break. Something we would not have done if it had been hot and sunny. Check the dates for the daffodil weekends.
Sep 21st, 2006, 03:06 AM

If you do decide to travel in April, don't overlook the impact of the Boston Marathon on everything from airlines to Boston hotel rates. It's the third Monday of April, and most public schools are on vacation that whole week.
Sep 21st, 2006, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

We're coming from Arizona. It would probably be late April. I should have said we don't really mind the cold as long as its not freezing and snowing! Just want to relax and the idea of an uncrowded oceanfront hotel sounds good. Other than Florida, does anyone have any ideas for a relaxing place to spend a week or so?
Sep 21st, 2006, 04:31 AM

The 3rd Monday in April is Patriot's Day, a state holiday in Massachusetts. Many places are closed (schools, local government offfices, etc). But most stores and tourist-type places are open.

Patriots Day also happens to be the day the Boston Marathon is held, but this probably does not affect the availability of hotel rooms on the Cape.

April is a bad time of year to be visiting Massachusetts. You may be lucky and get a nice day, but for the most part April is still very cold. Also, during the first part of April the streets often still have remnants of snow from the winter, and the dirty, grey remains of old snow are not a pretty sight.

Sep 21st, 2006, 04:34 AM

In response to your last post: There are oceanfront tourist areas in Georgia, South Carolina, and Virginia. All these locations will be a lot nicer in April than the Cape.
Sep 21st, 2006, 04:34 AM

forgot to mention: also North Carolina
Sep 21st, 2006, 05:21 AM

Hello orange,
We open our Cape cottage in Truro every year on April 1 and as of yet, I can't recall a time where we've had the remnants of snow. The Cape's not in the snow belt, but that doesn't mean however, that there haven't been years where the cape's gotten clobbered with snow - crazy unpredictible New England weather.

As others have said, bring some warm clothes and enjoy the beauty and peace before the crowds arrive. Many B+B's, hotels and restuarants have cozy fireplaces and hot tubs to warm your bones, if needed.
Enjoy!
Sep 21st, 2006, 06:51 AM

It has snowed in April for the Boston marathon and it has also been 80 degrees. You said you don't mind the cold so if you really want to see Cape Cod and you might not have another chance I would do it. Daffodil weekend on Nantucket is April 27-29. Google it for info. It is a fun weekend. But it will not be uncrowded.

Most things are open except for the clam shacks and the Cape is beautiful any time of the year.
Sep 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM

Hi orange,
I hope we're not confusing you but just so you know, Cape cod, as is many parts of New England, have many different climate zones. Their winter weather is very different from Boston as it's out further into the ocean and has surrounding gulf streams. Most, not all storms that hit the mainland bypass the cape so it usually has mild conditions. Areas of the cape that are a bit closer to the mainland (Sandwich, Falmouth etc. are climatically similar to south eastern New England areas rather than Mass. Hope that helps.
Sep 21st, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

I think we may be able to go in June instead of April. We would spend a few days in Mystic CT and then from there go to the Cape for a few days.
Sep 21st, 2006, 05:03 PM
Neopolitan

If I had a vote, it would definitely be for the new plan!

Sep 21st, 2006, 05:06 PM

June. Definitely June!
Sep 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM

OK, you're gonna hate me. June this year had 14 days of rain and it was COLD. It did not get warm until July 4th. So just go for it but there is no predicting the weather here. In spite of what cybor said, the winter before last was brutal..100 inches of snow and a blizzard of 3 + feet. The winter before was the coldest on record. The bay was frozen for 6 weeks. And frost is predicted tonite. Global warming sounds good to me

orangetravelcat...just come. The Cape is beautiful and there are lots of things to do.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:42 AM

June's definetly a real sweet time to come down and certainly much warmer than April - we hope . Global warming has made our already unpredictable New England weather even more unpredictible - who would have thought - shame. It's difficult to go with past yearly weather averages lately.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:26 AM

HI--I will say it again, no one can count on the weather on the Cape. I cannot say if global warming is the culprit, but I remember our first trip to "Old Cape Cod" on the 2nd week-end in June in 1977. There was rain with a wind blowing so hard that the deluge was coming at us sideways. (Oh, and BTW the temp was hovering in the upper 50's to low 60's.) It was like being on the deck of a ship in a storm, only we were walking down the Main Street of Falmouth!! Ever since that trip, I have noted that there is often one several day period like that in June, along with some unbelievably glorious days as well. It is like spinning a roulette wheel....there is no way to predict what will happen.

Having said that, the odds are more w/you in June than April, but it is still no guarantee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO