Kennedy Space Center launch question

Old May 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennedy Space Center launch question

I will be in the Cocoa Beach area soon, and had scheduled a day to visit the Kennedy Space Center. I subsequently found out that the day of my visit (July 1) is also the day a shuttle is scheduled to launch. Of course, these things are never certain, and the shuttle may be rescheduled. But just in case it does go off, I have some questions for anyone who has ever attended one of these events:

Ever since 911, the only public viewing tickets sold by NASA are for a bus parked on the NASA Causeway. I am wondering whether this view would be much better than other views I could get from areas in the south part of Titusville. A disadvantage of the NASA bus is that I would probably be trapped on the Causeway for several hours. Doing this on my own, I may at least have the option of leaving my car (once I get a good parking spot) to walk around while waiting for the launch.

Have any of you ever been through this? Any suggestions?
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We went to the Kennedy Space Center on a day that a launch was scheduled. We were told to go to Cocoa Beach and watch from the beach. We did this and the launch was scrapped. So, I do not have first hand viewing tips, but everyone was waiting on the beach to see it. So, I assume it is usually quite visable from that point. The way we found out it was scrapped, a bartender yelled out from the bar that the launch was scrapped and everyone went home.
Hope this helps.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:55 AM

I was with a group visiting specifically to see a shuttle launch. Those without tickets were directed to the north end of Cocoa Beach. It was quite visible. Although not comparable to the moon launch days, when you could watch from the benches set up across a canal from the launch pad.
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:00 AM

Joyce, I live in the area, so let me just advise you that the traffic will be backed up everywhere after the launch. Causeways, US 1, A1A, doesn't matter: they'll all be very congested.

As to the view, the closest view is for families and VIPs and is several miles from the launch pad. The NASA causeway site is around 6 or 7 miles from the launch site and Space View Park in Titusville (http://www.brevardparks.com/directory/index.htm)
is about 10 miles from the launch pad. Since traffic will be heavy anyway, I'd try for the NASA causeway. A launch is pretty impressive from wherever you see it, but the closer, the better.

Check KSC's cancellation policy on the bus tickets to the causeway since there is no guarantee that a shuttle will actually launch on a particular day. Sometimes they go off like clockwork, other times NASA tries for days to launch, and I don't know if the tickets are transferrable to another day (I'd guess not).

No matter where you view the launch, there are some musts: sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, and water. It will be hot, hot, hot and humid in July.

A shuttle launch is an exciting and impressive experience. I hope you have a great time.
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I have a few more questions. The tickets go on sale tomorrow, and NASA has just posted some more information on its Web site. I found out that the Causeway ticket requires arrival by 9 AM. But the shuttle liftoff is not until 3:48 pm. The Space Center has no tours that day, so I am wondering just what visitors are expected to do with themselves for so many hours. Have any of you been through this?

I also found out NASA is selling 2 on-site options for seeing the launch: In addition to the Causeway option, NASA is also selling views from the Space Center Visitors Complex. From a map NASA posted, the Causeway location seems slightly closer to the shuttle, but only slightly. I have a feeling my view may be about the same from either place. What do you think? An advantage of the Visitors Complex site is maybe being allowed to arrive a little later in the day.

I am very ambivalent about this whole thing. It would be great to see the shuttle liftoff, but I had planned to do other things that day: visit the nearby wildlife refuge, and also take a tour around the Space Center. Due to the shuttle launch, it looks as if I will not be able to do either of these things. (For security reasons the roads to the wildlife refuge are likely to be closed, and the Space Center will also be closed for its usual tours.) Instead it looks as if I will be spending the entire day dealing with traffic, and waiting, waiting, and more waiting for a few seconds of liftoff; and even that is far from definite, since it is very common for space missions to be delayed at the last moment.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:28 PM

While having passes to be as close as possible for a launch sounds wonderful, you are being very smart to realize the down side of it all. We've seen launches from approximately 5 miles south of KSC, on Cocoa Beach, and it was still spectacular. I would suggest you visit the beach for the day of the launch and hope it goes off as scheduled. You'll still be impressed with what you can see, and if the mission is scrubbed you're not out a day of "tourism".
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM

Joyce, the causeway is a better view than you'd get from the Visitor's Center - there are trees around the Visitor's Center that would obscure the initial part of the launch (you wouldn't see the shuttle until it came into view over the trees, if you see what I mean - sorry, not putting this well).

The Visitors Center is the starting point for the bus tours which go out into the NASA area of the Cape. NASA generally closes most or all tours prior to the launch, as well as the road going into the wildlife refuge/Canaveral seashore. I'm fairly certain that the 9 a.m. timeframe is the deadline for getting to the Visitor's Center, not the deadline for getting on the bus, but I'd suggest calling the Visitors Center tomorrow a.m. and asking them what is the deadline for arriving at the VC and what is the deadline for getting on the bus. If I'm right, that still leaves the Visitor Center itself open from 9 until whenever you have to board the bus: it has exhibits, Imax films, a full scale shuttle mock-up that you can walk through, the astronaut memorial, etc.

If all of this sounds too much like a pain in the neck, be assured you can see the shuttle from many places in the area. If you're staying in Cocoa Beach, either go to Jetty Park or just walk out onto the beach. You'll see and hear it.

Any other questions, just post back.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Yes, 9 AM is the time by which all visitors have to arrive at the Space Center. That means having to spend 7 hours there. From what I have read about the place, it looks as if the exhibits are enough to occupy about 2 hours. So I'm concerned about being trapped in the place for several hours with nothing much to do but wait.

I'm now thinking of rearranging my schedule to visit the Space Center the previous day (when I can take the tour of the launch areas), and the next day viewing the launch from the Cocoa Beach area.

I have some more questions:

1. If I decide to view the launch from Jetty Park or Cocoa Beach, what is the parking situation like there on launch days? Is there a certain time of day by which I have to be parked in the Jetty Park's parking lot if I want an available spot?

2. After a launch, is traffic bad heading north from Cocoa Beach towards Titusville? My hotel that night is in Titusville. It seems most of the traffic would be going in the opposite direction (people leaving the Space Center heading south), but maybe it's bad in both directions.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:43 AM

Joyce, Since the 1st is a Saturday, the Jetty park parking lot will fill up early - I'd guess before noon. A lot of people will just make a day of it at the park.

The Cocoa Beach pier has several restaurants that often sell shuttle packages (meal, drink, and view) - you might want to check with them. But anywhere on the beach will give you a good view. Come from T-ville early in the morning, find a parking spot in town, have lunch, and watch the launch. Alternatively, since you'll be in T-ville, head to one of the riverside parks (along US 1) in T-ville - Sand Point or Space View would be good. You'll also get an excellent view there.

After the launch, traffic will be headed away from T-ville. Most people will be headed south or west.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.

I won't be coming from Titusville. My hotel the night of June 30th is in Cocoa Beach, so I will probably stay in that area for most of July 1, heading north to my Titusville hotel only after the launch. It looks as if the Cocoa Beach area is a more pleasant place to spend waiting (for the launch), and I will also be able to avoid all the morning traffic headed north.

I may spend the morning of July 1 exploring the southern part of Cocoa Beach. If the Jetty Park parking lot is full when I arrive, are there any other places nearby where parking may still be available later in the day, for example around 3 PM ?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:22 AM

Cocoa Beach gets a lot of people coming out from Orlando for the day on summer weekends; add that to a shuttle launch crowd and parking will be full early in the day pretty much everywhere in Cocoa Beach. Any chance your hotel will let you stay parked there? The transit service offers a beach trolley that goes up and down A1A: http://www.ridescat.com/routes/route09.php# which would be useful for getting around. If the hotel parking lot is out and you're going to be in the South part of CB, grab a parking spot early.

Don't worry about getting to Jetty Park - you'll see the launch from anywhere on the beach. I work in Cocoa Beach (south of 520) and we usually just walk out onto the beach to see launches.

There are a number of nice parks up and down the beach (Cherie Downs on Ridgwood, Shepard Park at 520 and A1A, Fischer Park on A1A, and Lori Wilson Park on A1A).

If you need any restaurant recommendations, let me know.

And keep an eye on the NASA website; there's always the possibility that the launch date will get pushed back.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I may decide to stay in Cocoa Beach (instead of Titusville) the night of 7/1. This will give me a guaranteed parking spot. I have to eventually drive up to the Titusville area, but this drive can be postponed until the morning of 7/2.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:00 AM

Sounds like your plans have changed, but the Causeway view is magnificent. Take a picnic and a battery-operated fan. I took a station wagon full of kids once and they had a fabulous time meeting other kids along the causeway. I enjoyed it, too--there were people from many countries out watching.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

I have yet another question:

I had planned to visit the Cape Canaveral Air Force Museum. But it now looks as if this museum may be visitable only on the "Then and Now" tour from the Kennedy Space Center. The problem is, this tour is only once a day, and I will not be able to get there on time on June 30. I had planned to go on July 1, but due to the shuttle launch, the tour will not be given at all that day.

Do any of you know if it is possible to visit this museum without also going on the Space Center's tour? I have not been able to find a phone number for the museum so I could call it and ask.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:03 PM

Sigh.....yes, and there's a lighthouse out there, too, that you used to be able to visit. Now it is a restricted area open via the KSC bus tour. Still, try calling the phone numbers here and see if they could get you in (perhaps combine you with another group?). Good luck.
https://www.patrick.af.mil/45sw/ccafs/visit.htm
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Joyce - We just returned from the successful launch of the GOES N (Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite), which lifted off aboard a Boeing Delta IV rocket from Space Launch Complex 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. It was a private party and we were parked on the NASA causeway for about an hour. Great view BUT our guide confirmed what other posters said, the traffic congestion for space shuttle launches are huge. We were at the same location twice last summer. It is hot out there and DO NOT wear open-toed shoes unless you're one of those lucky people who don't attract bugs. There are chiggers out there on the grass!
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

The Causeway view is no longer an issue, because all the tickets were sold immediately. The tickets went on sale on May 22, and they were sold out by early morning May 23.

There were still tickets available for the view from the Visitors Center complex, and I went ahead and bought one. I had learned the tickets are also usable the day BEFORE the launch, so this makes it worthwhile for me, even if I later decide to view the launch from Cocoa Beach. I've been planning on visiting the Space Center on June 30 anyway, so I can take the NASA bus tour (which is unavailable on launch day).

I'm still undecided about the location I will use for viewing the launch, and will probably not make a definite decision about this until I arrive.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

For those of you who have been there, which of these 2 locations would be better for viewing the launch: the Space Center's Vistor Complex (where the view is somewhat blocked by trees), or Jetty Park (which is further away)?
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Can the launch also be viewed from the Orlando area?
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Hi luvtravel, we viewed the launch of the Columbia on January 16th, 2003 from as far away as The Villages, which is south of Ocala! Of course, it doesn't compare with being on-site, where you see/hear the ignition and lift-off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -