Spa Recommendations in Sonoma

May 6th, 2002, 09:46 AM
rebecca

Spa Recommendations in Sonoma

I will be in Sonoma at the end of May and would like to go get a mud bath = whats the best place - Dr Wilknsons - Cottage Spa = Please help

May 6th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Susan

Rebecca, the mud baths are mostly found in Calistoga, which is on the northern end of Napa valley, a bit of a drive from Sonoma, the town. Where are you staying?

I've done the mud bath thing at Dr. Wilkinson's in Calistoga and I thought it was great, but it's a sulfury smelling experience, not everyone enjoys it. I thought my skin felt great for a week afterward.

There are also some nice spas in the Sonoma area. So, let us know what part of the wine country you'll be in and I'm sure someone can make a good recommendation.

May 6th, 2002, 12:53 PM
rebecca

Suzie - I think you are the same person thats been helping me out before - I am staying at either the Hotel Healdsburg/The Lodge Sat and Sunday nights and MacArthur Place on Sunday. Is the logde too close to Macarthurs? Would I get a better variety if I stayed at the Hotel Healsburg Sat and Sunday?

I was thinking of going to Dr. Wilkinsons but it seems a little old and outdated? Is it at all fancy or is it pretty plain. HOw far of a drive would it be from the hotel I am staying at?

May 6th, 2002, 12:56 PM
sara

My husband and I really enjoyed Golden Haven Spa www.goldenhaven.com
They have "couples" mud baths.

May 6th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Suzie

Actually Susan and I are two different people who live in CA. I personally think that your two Sonoma hotels are close together.

MacArthurs Place is about 1/2 mile down Broadway from The Lodge. MacArthurs Place is closer to the square than the Lodge is.

I have no mud bath recommendations because of news stories about the germs in the mud. Since you're nekkid with mud all over you and the mud is reused my reaction is yulk, no thanks. But you may find other who really enjoy them.

May 6th, 2002, 01:10 PM
rebecca

ok so if I stay at the Hotel Healdsburg on Sat and Sun and MacArthurs on Monday does that sound good - how far are those two from eachother -

May 6th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Suzie

That sound good Rebecca. Healdsburg is about an hour from Sonoma but has many good wineries nearby. You'd be able to do the wineries from Healdsburg north and then as you travel toward Sonoma you could do those (Kunde, Chateau St Jean, Kenwood) and then when you get to Sonoma you can do the wineries in that area! We liked Ravenswood, Benzinger. Would like to have gone to Trentadue, Souverein, 10. Ferrari-Carano Vineyards & Winery, Foppiano, oh list just goes on......

May 6th, 2002, 02:03 PM
carolyn

Dr. Wilkinsons is very plain, not fancy at all. You go into a community locker room, strip and wrap in a towel. The mud baths, showers and whirlpool baths are all in the same room. The whirpool baths are separated by walls, but the mud ones are exposed to all.

It was an experience I'm glad I tried once. Make sure to say yes to the cucumber/peppermint facial while your engulfed in the mud. Not sure if it did anything except kill the mud smell. The mud bath was very odd.

The masseuse was one of the best I ever had there, i walked out feeling great!

May 6th, 2002, 02:08 PM
x

Rebecca if you need more info on mud baths you could look at this sunset article regarding them. http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml