Southern Coastal Maine suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Boston and have 2 days to spend in Maine. Interested in quaint New England coastal towns.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 01:26 AM

When are you going? After July 1, the traffic in some towns is terrible. We've avoided southern Maine because of that but we're headed to Ogunquit in mid-June and staying at a place on the trolley route. I understand the trolley only runs on weekends in June but also connects to the one in Wells. There's a lot to see and do in Portsmouth NH area so I would include that as well.

Get a really good map. Our favorite drive is Rt 1B thru New Castle NH. At one point on a narrow causeway you can see the Portsmouth Navy Prison in one direction (actually in Kittery ME) and the historic Wentworth hotel in the other. Rt 1B takes you past the Wentworth. New Castle is very old and very quaint with nary a t shirt shop. It's mostly residential. Also the coast route thru Rye will take you past mansions.
Avoid Rt 1 thru Kittery ME unless you want to go outlet shopping but you can follow the signs for Kittery Point and then plot the route to York. It's more of a country road.

Wells, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport etc are all very popular tourist destinations and you will find the downtown areas and Rt 1 to be very congested with traffic even mid-week after July 1 until Labor Day. I think places lose their charm when traffic is bad.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

dfrostnh
Thank you for the suggestions. We are going June 9-11. We will get a map!
I keep seeing York. Good idea?
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM

Schools are not out that early in June, so you should be good, especially since you're going mid-week. York Center is pretty, and I would include it on your drive...there are two beaches in York, Long Sands and Short Sands, with Short Sands being the prettier. The Stonewall Farm headquarters is in York and worth a visit...You can continue on that route through Ogunquit, Wells, Kennebunkport...
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveMaine
very helpful.
Any suggestions which southern maine town to stay in?
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:01 AM

I know Kennebunkport better than the other towns; I would Google places to stay in KPT and in Kennebunk because I don't know your budget; but I know most places and can tell you a little bit about them (I think!). If you want to go as far as Portland, there are many little inns and B&Bs there; it's a great little city, walkable, excellent restaurants, museum.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:51 AM

From today's Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/travel/explore...es/coastalGPS/
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM

Is it just the two of you -- or a family?

As I have recommended elsewhere, check out the York Harbor Inn in southern Maine, unless you want to drive farther north. This is across the street from the ocean, has various rooms and rates, etc. See their web site.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM

We own in York Harbor and it is a beautiful place. Across from York Harbor Inn is a beautiful small beach, and also there is a walk that goes along the cliffs from there. It is beautiful!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM

bnbtraveler:

Ah yes...

And, of course, you know about Chapman Cottage, also a lovely place to stay and a great place to dine! (Not cheap, but great.)

And that neat little ice cream shop around the corner in the center of town?

Lovely.