Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

PA to Maine Driving Route: Around New York City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm driving (tomorrow!) from SE Pennsylvania up to southern Maine. I've done this trip before but it's been a while. I tried Google Maps, Yahoo! maps, and Mapquest. Google and Yahoo give the same route; Mapquest takes me a slightly different route around NYC. It takes me I-78 to I-287 north to I-87, bypassing NYC. Google Maps takes me close to NYC via Newark and then up I-95. It's supposedly a few miles shorter. But am I headed for bad traffic that way? More tolls one way or the other? I'll be going through there about lunchtime or so if that means anything...

Anyone have any feedback on road construction through both areas? Prefer one way or the other strongly?

Andrew
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:20 PM

We have driven through on 95 twice. The first time was such a breeze, we decided to do it again. Well...that second time will be our LAST time. First time was on Saturday...no problems. Second time we hit the bridge (can't rem name; dont want to know...lol) about lunch time on a Friday. Traffic slowed to about 15 miles per hour. By the time we exited the NY area, rush hour traffic had started. From NY to RI we averaged about 25 miles per hour. I kid you not! I was driving and after so long and so many stops and starts, I was just exhausted. At one backup on the highway, my husband and I did the old Chinese fire drill...switched drivers with the car running. I will NEVER take that route again on a weekday...and prob any other day. The few miles shorter can mean many hours longer. IMHO.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Take the mapquest route with some variations/specifics. Then the question is how do you get thru southern New England - depends on where you are going in Maine. But for most destinations in southern Maine I would continue to avoid I95 and take the inland route.

NJ Turnpike to GS Parkway, following signs to Tappan Zee Bridge. After Tappan Zee Bridge you will be taking 287, 684 and then I84 thru Hartford, continuing to Mass. Turnpike. Take Mass Turnpike to Rte 495, all the way up to Mass/NH/Maine coastal area and then likely pick up I95 (depending on destination). You can cut a corner by taking I290 off Mass Pike (north) which intersects with 495 a little north - this happens around Worcester. Get a map and it will make sense.

Longer in mileage, less in tolls, generally much shorter in time.

Regarding construction, who knows. They seem to have been constructing Rte 84 for decades. Some local line painting and resurfacing of Rte 495 in Massachusetts.

But in New England all road projects happpen during about 4 months of the year - no major projects that I have encountered on this route in Massachusetts this summer, though.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:19 AM

The route we use from the Poconos area is to connect with 84 in Port Jervis into CT then Rt 91 from Hartford to Brattleboro VT. Head to Keene NH then Rt 9 to rt 89 to Concord NH. Then north on Rt 93 to Rt 393 (bypasses Concord's commercial strip) to Rt 4 to Portsmouth, then connect to Rt 95. Hartford is the only place we expect to see traffic. After you get off Rt 91 it will be 50 mph roads until you connect with Rt 89. Then Rt 4 is 50 mph. I don't think you'll ever see Rt 4 show up on Mapquest.
I84 to the Mass Turnpike to Rt 495 to Rt 95 would be my second choice but I really hate the Mass Pike. And it depends on time of day. Rt 495 can be clogged with commuters. Rt 95 can get backed up at the NH toll booth.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:47 AM

I'd recommend you head up toward Binghamton and then to Albany. We travel via Route 17 - a beautiful & easy drive, never any traffic - but there are other routes that also let you avoid NYC.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Don't know if you've left yet but I hope you took Gail's route. I have driven along this corridor many, many times and that route is by far the best. Expect some congestion on I-84 in western Connecticut.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I did take a variation of the Mapquest route. I took 287 to 95 to 91 to 84. From there I bypassed the Mass Turnpike (90) altogether and took US 20 to 290, then 290 north to 495 and up to Maine. The bypass was a great call - I remember paying a zillion tolls on the Mass Turnpike the last time I took that route. There was almost no traffic on 20 East and I hit most of the lights green. It wasn't 65 MPH but I imagine it cost me only a few minutes.

I had few delays - only one accident that caused some congestion but it was a very smooth drive. Given the horror story about I-95 all the way down I imagine I'll basically retrace my route back the same way on the drive back.

Now I get to make jokes for the next few days about visiting Portland, ME, even though I live in Portland, OR. It is funny seeing your town's name everywere in a completely different city.

Andrew
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:14 PM

The toll on the Masspike from Exit 9 (I-84) to Exit 10 (I-290) is only $0.50 each way.

Traffic is usually not a problem for eastbound. Problem is mostly for westbound, as there is often a fairly long wait to pay the toll at the Exit 9, heading towards I-84.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the update - sometimes the part of I95 you took to Rte 91 is a nightmare - glad it was not for you.

Have never taken the part of Route 20 you did - I am a get-on-the-highway-and-get-there type person - but it is worth knowing about (see, you can teach locals new tricks)
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:23 AM

I have taken route 20 to avoid a long back-up at the toll at the mass pike. As RKKWAN says though its only one 50 toll and that is when you get off the mass pike at I-290. I would definitely avoid I-95 in southern Connecticut if it is anywhere near rush hour.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Just to report back, I took the same route back from Maine to PA: I-95, I-495, I-290, US 20, I-84, I-91 (via 15), I-95, I-287, I-78. On the trip back (Monday daytime) I had no slowdowns or traffic at all except briefly when merging onto I-95 from 91. I know sometimes people take I-684 to I-287 and avoid I-91/I-95 but Maquest thought 91/95 was faster. Maybe I should have gone both ways to see.

Andrew