Search

Southern Coast - Need Advice:

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Coast - Need Advice:

Need to find a good location for a family reunion next summer:

Would like a beach of QUALITY - not cheesy, & over commercialized. Very low population. Pretty-- We'd like to have condos OR a couple of houses together ON the beach - POOL is a must.

I can zoom in on accommodations, once we decide on a beach---

I really need your recs of a beach that would fit the bill of pretty & less populated. Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Fairhope

Grayton Bch Fl near Seaside Destin. I have seen an ad for a house that beds 26!!

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

OH - gosh!
I THOUGHT I WAS ON THE NORTH CAROLINA BOARD!

I need beaches along the SOUTHERN COAST OF NORTH CAROLINA ......OOOPs!

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:52 AM

FYI - there is no "North Carolina board" - or any other individual board other than major continent categories listed in first menu. The state designations are so your post would show up if someone used search feature.

All posts on US go to general US board - frequent minunderstanding among newer posters.

(Sorry, I do not know of any North Carolina beach locations)
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:00 AM
GoTravel

Sunset Beach or Holden Beach.

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:02 AM
GoTravel

BTW, you may be too late for the really popular houses and locations. Many people book houses a year in advance.

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Fairhope

Nevermind!

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Any of the Brunswick Islands. Holden is the least populated, Oak Island the most & Sunset & Ocean Isle are South of them. There are few pools in these locales + the beach is right there. Some of the condos do have pools but then you are sharing w/larger populations...Not sure if you're going to the beach, why you need a pool ???
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:38 PM

catjammies,

I agree with the other posters, and SAnParis has it right--it's hard to go wrong with any of the Brunswick County islands.

One idea not already mentioned, as you are looking for a QUALITY destination off the beaten path: Bald Head Island. You reach it by ferry from Southport, NC: main transportation is golf cart, bikes, and feet. I haven't been since the island was developed, but from everything I've read, you should probably research it.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas!

Ok - Ferry to an isle might be TOO desolate, BUT I'd really be interested in hearing your VOTE among the following suggestions I've received:

1st of all - we need a pool b/c there are children involved, teenagers specifically, who are ticky! and some of these family folks just won't stay where there's not a pool right there in addition to the beach.

Remember: Nice, low population, grocery within simple driving distance, but NO PUTTPUTT necessary ---

Thanks - really need your opinions.....
What most appeals to adults, but Teens can live with?....

Topsail
Emerald
Atlantic
Oak
Holden
Sunset Isle
Ocean Isle

What's your vote for the very best or best couple?

I'm really relying on your opinions now!!! Thanks for taking the time!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:27 PM

My top vote is for Emerald Isle- you can choose for one of the condo developments that have pools, or perhaps select a few houses to rent, some of which will have a pool. Its really got a residential feel to it, but is a little more off the beaten path.

2nd vote is for Atlantic Beach- its slightly more crowded than Emerald, but has some high-rise hotels with pools and condos. (not many rental houses) It is closer to Morehead City & Beaufort for day trips.

From what I've seen, Topsail is more crowded than both of these.

This summer, I spent a week in Charleston SC (Seabrook), Atlantic Beach NC and Ocean City MD: the NC beaches were the best. Fewer crowds, great restaurants, soft sand with shells at low tide. Good luck-
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 01:16 AM

Litchfield by the Sea in Pawley's Island, SC. Rent a house or several condos. Pools available. Tennis courts, golf.Beach is limited access, very uncrowded even in mid-summer.
And to those who wonder about pools, there is lots of nice time reading by the pool.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Ocean Isle (better chance of accommodations with a pool)

Sunset (awesome beach; perhaps less chance of accommodations with a pool).
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:23 AM

It has been my experience that the teens will adapt...Ocean Isle is probably the best choice if you have to have a pool. Holden is the least busy/commercialized & there are a couple of private residences & a couple of condo complexes that have pools. The homes are not cheap...I don't recall much in the way of pools on Oak Island but I typically stay on the Long Beach end, can't speak for the rest of the island. Start w/ncbrunswick.com.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Topsail Island is a good place..it's not as populated as Wrightsville Beach.

Or the Outer Banks is nice.We like Ocracoke Island....you can rent bikes and ride around to the quaint little shops or the beach.Also the lighthouse is beautiful at night when its lit up!

Duck,NC is also in the Outer banks and is also nice.Good luck.I live in NC and we love our beaches.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:58 AM

cat,
Of your choices...I would go to Topsail or Ocean Isle.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 06:23 PM

If you can find a place at Ocean Isle that has a pool, it would be wonderful. Our memeories of OIB was LONG before anyone would have a pool at the area. It is a wonderful beach. But I still think pools are not common.