South Seas Resort, Captiva Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning an extended weekend trip to South Seas Resort in October...wondering about climate then...and the resort itself. Also interested in airport shuttle...told by resort it cost $60 one way from Ft Myers airport and takes 45 minutes. Is it easy to get around without a car at the resort? Thanks for your feedback.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:47 PM

There have been some mixed reviews on the South Seas on this site. You may want to look in the archives for them. Seems that some of the accomodations have recently been redone, others are a bit shabby.

We did not stay there this Spring, though we did visit the property. Looks like it is very easy to get around without a car if you stay on the property, but you would need some transportation if you wanted to go down to Sanibel.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 05:44 AM
MSS

For less than the price of a shuttle, do yourself a favor and rent a car, you won't regret it. The islands are too beautiful to just stay at one place. However, if you choose not to rent a car, they do have a tram that takes you anywhere on the resort, but no further. It is an extremely easy drive from the airport to the islands, and once there, you can't get lost. October should be beautiful.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 11:18 AM

We stayed at South Seas Resort in a newly renovated 1BR beach villa unit and really enjoyed our stay. However, I would recommend getting a car so you can go to other restaurants other than South Seas .... although there are a few within a 10-15 minute walking distance the road is really narrow and I wouldn't want to be walking it at night.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 03:43 PM

tremendously overrated. stuffy atmosphere that isn't supported by a marginal product. kind of a redneck place trying to ``do upscale'' -- and they do seem to fool some people.

avoid this place.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 03:51 PM

October should be nice, at least the traffic shouldn't be a problem!
I would definitely suggest renting a car. Captiva is very small, but you will want to explore Sanibel and other surrounding areas.
I have only stayed at this resort at a boat slip, so I don't know about the rooms. From what I remember, the grounds were nice, but I wouldn't want to walk back from "downtown" Captiva to the resort in the dark, as another poster mentioned.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 04:08 PM

in no way is South Seas redneck or any other sort of place. It is a place where people feel comfortable not being "chic". Many prominent people make this their special "getaway" for just this reason.

If you are the sort of person that needs a fawning, pretentious staff and doesn't like casual, laid back, I'm on vacation and I don't give a damn atmosphere, I suggest you try somewhere else. I think the above poster just did not have the self confidence for Captiva, home to many very important people who do not give a damn if their names are listed here.

BTW, back on topic, and end of rant:
a car is a definite plus. Public transport is pathetic. LMF