Sanibel/Captiva Island Rooms

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sanibel/Captiva Island Rooms

Hi there -

Any suggestions for beach lodging on either Sanibel or Captiva Islands in Florida?

Looking for early June and our primary objective is a beautiful, blue, long beach and relaxation.

Would prefer to stay away from the kiddies and will not have a car.

Would also like to stay for around (and preferably under) $300/night.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM

No car? You mean you plan to take a taxi somewhere and never leave the hotel or resort for the time? You do know that there is no real transportation on Sanibel (or to it either) and that it is not a walking island at all?

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

I thought there might be a hotel/resort that would have restaurants within easy walking distance. I have never been to the island.

Obviously if I asked the question I DON'T know Sanibel isn't a walking island.

Geesh - cripes I thought this was a site to offer helpful information not cram it down my throat!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 01:06 PM

Sorry, I thought I was being subtle by asking if you knew rather than telling. Normally when someone says something like "you can't walk to anything" then the poster yells back "I know that". Or I thought you might respond, "yes, we just want to stay at one place and eat in their restaurant" or "we'd like to get a condo where we can stay there and cook"-- some people DO that, you know. Sorry, I didn't think I was being rude. In any case, I'm still not so sure I was as rude as YOUR response.

But the bottom line is -- no. Sanibel and Captiva have one basic road of shops and restaurants which is not very near the beach and for the most part the hotels along the beach are remote. There is no real village with hotels in it, and the beach being rather "remote" is the best feature of the islands. There are a lot of condos for rent -- probably more than hotels, in fact. Unless you wanted to stay somewhere like the very north end of Captiva at South Seas Plantation which is a full service resort and never leave, then I really can't imagine NOT having a car there.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM

It may be worth it to rent a car, assuming you are flying in, given the cost of taxis/shuttles from the airport in Ft.Myers which isn't close. As NeoPatrick says, Sanibel and Captiva are not for walkers. However, you could stay in Old Naples and have easy walk to a wide array of restaurants, shops, galleries, and a beach as nice as those on Sanibel.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM

From my memories of vacations on Sanibel, it was all about the kids. Ding Darling was always a nice day , the beaches and shelling, fishing and sight seeing..
So wherever you stay, you will most likely be around kids.

What made you decide on Sanibel or Captiva ?

You might prefer a big resort somewhere else..you really have to have a car on Sanibel..it would get very boring otherwise..
A little more homework might be needed...look into the Amelia Island Plantation etc on the East Coast maybe..although..most places in Florida seem to require a car.

And I have to say that Patrick is a valuable poster on here, having first hand knowledge of so many places, in Florida, NYC as well as in Europe.
He has always been a help for me and I don't really see Patrick as being the rude one here..

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I've driven thru Sanibel to Captiva a few times and I really can't see how you'd do without a car unless you're one heck of a biker.

Patrick knows of what he speaks.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM

not having a car on sanibel is asking for disaster. if you go, get a condo rental and a car. you have to have one. what did neopatrick do to you to make you hate him so much?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM

Well, if you choose South Seas Plantation, it's so big you could avoid Kids. And there is a shuttle that takes you from one end to the other. There are some stores and restaurants near the entrance just off the grounds that you could walk to.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM

Someone on another board recommends Pointe Santo, Tarpon Beach or Pine Cove resorts. Says all are right by Tarpon Bay Rd, and an easy shot to a number of restaurants, Sweet Treats, Bailey's, some shops and the movie theater. Hope this helps.

I would really miss not having a car there though. I would encourage you to think carefully about being "resort-bound."
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:25 AM

The three you mention are all complexes of two and three bedroom condo units. Why do MOST people rent a two or three bedroom unit? Because they have families -- that means children. You're not likely to escape the "kiddies" in those places which generally even advertise as "perfect family destination". And I still wouldn't imagine walking in the dark on those roads to any restaurants -- other than maybe one nearest you.

PS. Very funny, gyppielou and earl.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:59 AM

Speaking of alligators!!
When we stayed at the Condos on Sanibel that I cannot remember the name of..seashells? anyway- the tennis courts were at the back, then there was just woods..and a small pond...there lay the great alligator .. Stories were at night, people riding their bikes down the driveway would go over something and thought it was a big speedbump= it was the alligator, sleeping on the warm pavement lol
But he was big and fast and still ate small pets so I sure would not want to walk along the roads there at night for that reason either..
ha...I had forgotten all about the alligator and snakes ..
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM

Patrick, I was repeating what I'd read on another board about what resorts you could possibly stay at, without a car, with no idea of what type of lodging it was. I figured the OP could investigate further if interested. I think you cannot easily avoid kids on Sanibel, at least not in my experience there.

I once stayed at a small motel off the beach in Sanibel, and had to walk down past/beside the Holiday Inn to get to the water ... it always gave me the creeps, and I walked VERY FAST!

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM

What's the matter with Kids? Although several years ago, my wife had some, she watered them and fed 'em and they moved along... now every once and awhile I see them on vacation and the best thing is... they bring the car so I can drive around Sanibel/Captiva... how about that for luck!?????
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM

LOL gary

We had some too, it is amazing what a little water and feeding can do!

Mine still come around..I think that has something to do with the petting and buying of toys too
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM

You will definitely need a car, but South Seas Island Resort is big enough and has enough restaurants for you to stay on-site for a fair amount of time.
Have fun in Florida! 8-)