Search

South Rim Lodging

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Rim Lodging

Trying to choose lodging at South Rim of Grand Canyon for 3 adults/1 teenager July 2008. Yavapai Lodge and Kachina have July dates available. My mom is 80 and is in pretty good shape, but didn't want to wear out walking all over the area. Is it worth it to be right on the rim or is 1/4 mile away just fine? I'm okay with anything, but my sister insists we stay right on the rim. Gotta book soon-filling up fast! Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:00 PM

I personally would stay at El Tovar or Bright Angel on the rim. If those are booked go for Thunderbird.

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM

The hotels are all pretty old - okay rooms but none better than the other. We stayed 1/4 mile away and had a great time. They have shuttle buses.

The El Tovar is supposed to be the best. We had dinner there and were not at all impressed. It was worse than Denny's.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM

It IS worth it to be on the rim. Especially for your 80-yr-old mother. Isn't Kachina one of the hotels on the rim? We stayed in Thunderbird and I think Kachina is the identical one next door. Book it.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the advice. Unfortunately, most of the hotels directly on the rim are sold out during the week we're traveling. We decided on the Yavapai which is about a 5 minute walk to the rim. It was recently renovated and includes a fridge, coffeemaker, etc. We're flying into Las Vegas for 2 nights, then driving to GC for 3 nights and then we will head to Sedona for another 3 nights. We'll be staying at the Orchard Inn of Sedona...views of the Red Rocks and close to downtown. Will post a log of the trip in July.
Our first trip to Grand Canyon...we can't wait!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
sboivert,

Yes, they are sold out. Do not fret.

Many of the rooms are booked by tour companies and will be released as you get closer to travel date.

Last year I was looking for rooms at Bryce, Zion and GC.

I called Xanterra (don't bother with the web site) every day and sometimes more than once a day.

Eventually I got all of my dates in park.

A big difference when you just get up and walk over to the rim.

Don't give up.

Call, Call CALL!!!!!