Grand Canyon hotels on the South Rim

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please recommend Grand Canyon hotels on the South Rim. I am visiting in late May and will be staying 1 maybe 2 nights.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Definitely stay on the rim, Thunderbird/Kachina Lodges, both identical, with room windows facing the canyon...we like Kachina on the second floor.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Ag3046

In my opinion, it is not necessary to stay exactly at the rim, in the expensive hotels. You get better daylight views from outside, on the walkways. After dark, you can't see anything in the canyon anyway. The other hotels listed on the Grand Canyon national park website are nice. Yavapai and Maswick are fine. Angel's Rest is funkier, but some people prefer that. www.npg.gov go to Grand Canyon. If you have your dates firm, I suggest you make reservations as soon as possible. The accomodations will fill up very quickly. If you are going Memorial Day, there may not be much choice.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM

The hotels on the rim are not that expensive. We've stayed at the El Tovar and would highly recommend it. If they are booked, make a reservation somewhere else as a backup. Call the hotel frequently, especially as the date approaches, to see if a room is available. Rooms sometimes open up at the last minute.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM

janerich---

Your choice may be determined by what is available. The four hotels right on the rim---El Tovar, Bright Angel, Thunderbird, Kachina---are mostly booked all of May, with only scattered availablity on single nights. Maswik and Yavapai have more rooms available.

It is not necessarily more expensive to stay on the rim---Bright Angel has the least expensive rooms. Most rooms at the Maswik and Yavapai are priced the same as the Thunderbird. Maswik does have cabins which are less (around $77 instead of $139).

It is worth it to stay right on the rim if you want to take an early morning walk to enjoy the sunrise---highly recommended. And to be able to just walk outside and see all that expanse of canyon. You don't stay on the rim so you can see the canyon from your room.

http://www.xanterra.com/

for reservations. Good luck!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:03 PM

If you don't stay on the rim, take a flashlight! We once stayed late in the evening at the steak restaurant and took the shuttle back to our hotel, only the driver said he had no stop there and made us get out in the pitch darkness to grope our way in the dark a very, long, scary distance.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
conifer

Hi. I found this as I was planning my trip too. I am going the same time you are. People I know have told me it is too late to find something in the park. I hope not. Thanks for the information. I am really excited!

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM

I was told by a reservationist to call back 30 days before coming as tour operators block out rooms and then have to cancel unsold rooms at least 30 days prior. Worked for us!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:27 PM

I wish I could remember the hotel...we stayed in the actual park. It was HORRID! Just like a dorm. Not sure what you are looking for...but definately check it out before you go.

Depending on what you want to do...

I have stayed there over night once. Did a lot of hiking, etc..

I have visited Vegas too many times to admit...on 3 occassions I have taken a day trip to the canyon...worked out perfect!

8-)
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 03:38 AM

El Tovar definately has the most ambience, but you won't be able to watch the sunrise from your room in that facility. Book a rim-side room at Thunderbird or Kachina Lodges (preferably on second), confirm the time of sunrise the next morning, set the alarm, and enjoy your first cup of coffee while watching the rays hit the canyon walls......... priceless!!!