South Florida Motel

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Florida Motel

I'm looking for that South Florida motel that is reasonable in price, immaculately clean, nice pool and lounge, located on the beach. I'm basically looking to be able to visit in Winter to relax by the pool. Hope I'm not asking for too much, but anywhere in South Florida would be great! It can also be one of the national chain motels such as Days Inn, Hampton Inn etc. if you have experienced it and highly recommend it from a satisfied stay, please offer your comments. I don't want to stay in any high rise. I prefer a one or two level floor motel where the beach is a quick walk away.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
GoTravel

The Mirador Motel in Hollywood Florida.

www.MiradorMotel.com

1/2 block from the the prettiest South Florida beach, all kitchen or efficiency, clean, inexpensive.

Hollywood is a gorgeous town between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 12:59 PM

try lauderdale-by-the-sea, fl. no motel can be over 2-3 stories tall and it is a cute beachtown just north of ft. lauderdale, quieter beach, nice walking town. went there twice stayed at Coral Key Inn both times but there was an oceanfront motel in same town with a nice sized olympic sized pool that would be bigger than coral key's maybe someone can help me with the name.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions. Lauderdale by the sea sounds like a great location. I like the restrictions on high rise motels in that area. If you happen to find the other name of that motel you mentioned, please foward it. Thanks. Jim
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:52 AM

Jim, go to: lbts.com. It will list all the motels and I believe the motel I was speaking of would be High Noon Resort because I remember the shuffleboard games on their lawn. I'd also recommend Sandy Shoes Cafe which serves a breakfast buffet on the patio on the beach. however, if the rates are a little too high, I viewed the villa caprice and that pool looks great. can't tell you if any of the two have great rooms but anything on El Mar Drive is on the ocean or across El Mar from the ocean. again, since a property can only be 3 stories or smaller no matter where you stay on el mar you feel very close to the ocean. most of these places have a kitchenette or full kitchen and within easy 10-15 min walk or 3 min drive on A1A is a small mall with a pretty big Publix grocery store, this mall includes some speciality shops and an Eckerd drug. there is a walgreens about 3 minutes on A1A the opposite direction from the small mall and take a visit on to the shops on Commerce especially macs grove - neat souvenirs in this store.

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Steph, I went to the lbts website and looked at a number of hotels for that location. Great suggestion! I couldn't pull up the coralkeyinn website as it was down so I don't know what it looks like. Did look at the best florida resort motel and Inn by the sea. Both look very nice. Looks like I will definitely consider staying at one of these hotels at Lauderdale by the sea. Prices are very good and many of them look like a true paradise!
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 03:08 PM

Jim:

the only reason i didn't suggest coral key is that the pool isn't that big but they have nice sized rooms and its right across El Mar Dr from the ocean with direct ocean access as soon as you cross the drive (not alot of car traffic). My suggestion is if you decide to stay there either stay in room #5 one bed suite where you can easily see the ocean a little from your room or room #3 that is an efficiency with a murphys bed that you can slide into the wall thus having more room in the living room area. Since you are probably going in summer or early fall the prices are cheaper. have fun
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 02:43 AM

Stephanie, we've stayed in Lauderdale by the Sea several times, and I agree, it is a great place to stay. However, there are hotels there over 2-3 stories; the Clarion Beach Resort and the Holiday Inn are two we've stayed in. We did look at a couple of the smaller properties on El Mar Dr during our stay last Oct, and I believe we'll stay at one of those our next visit.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 03:18 AM

rjs:

I doubt the Holiday Inn or the Clarion is considered to be a part of Lauderdale by the Sea then. It is a town/city ordinance that you can't have buildings more than 2 or 3 stories high. Its just a fact, you want to believe something else you go right ahead.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:21 AM

Jim, GoTravel (frequent poster here) gave me the following info on LBTS this past Jan. (you can probably find the thread here, but here's the relevant info)

"For GREAT LBTS information go to www.Sunny.org.

We stayed at Captains Quarters last summer. The pool area is beautiful, well kept. The hotel is clean and comfortable; not plushy and glitzy. Location is great as it's right on the beach and there are restaurants and shops within a block or two.

check out www.highnoonresort.com
We have stayed here twice, my parents just stayed for a month, and we all just love it. You walk right out from the pool to the sand, no roads to cross, less than a block from the town center and shops, rooms all redone, granite counter tops, clean, cannot say enough about this place! We got the one-bedroom apt in January last year for about $190 and it slept 5 comfortably.

go to: blueseascourtyard.com and coralkeyinn.com for pics. The Coral Key pool is nice small pool in front of the motel. Both recommended places have full kitchens."
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:47 AM

yes blueseascourtyard is a very nice neatly decorated place. one day i walked in there asking if i could see a room and was shown a 1 bedroom suite, the place was the size of a huge apartment and it had mexican decor. however,its pool is about the same size as the coral key,this wasn't important to me but someone who is looking for a nice sized pool may not be happy staying there.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Wow, Stephanie, I didn't think my post merited your "Its just a fact, you want to believe something else you go right ahead" comment. However, as a "fact" I will refer you to the website you provided for accommodations in Lauderdale by the Sea, and you will see the Clarion and HI are both listed as being in LBTS.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

I decided to go with Captain's Quarters. Rates are good and it looks like a really nice place to stay. If anyone has had the experience of staying there, please let me know how you enjoyed your stay there.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:21 AM

I stayed at Captain's Quarter Resort 2 years ago. I loved it! Walk out from a room to the BEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pool area is awesome! Greek restoran nearby (I adore Greek food). The street smells like a sea and a grill... We made our day trips to Palm Beach, Japanise Gardens, Miami South Beach... I LOVED IT!!!!!!
Owners are former Europeans who emmigrated to US after WW2 with a suitcase. With hard work (Owner started as a plumber,if I remember correctly. Later he owned the plumbing company. He purchased appartment buildings, later motel by the ocean...)they achieved their dream-come-true (for many of us) lifestyle. They still work hard. This place is clean and well remodeled. Have a great vacation!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM
GoTravel

Jim, I've also stayed at the Captain's Quarters and loved it but I gave that advice to BuffaloGirl and she had a few problems with management. I think the motel worked out great for her tho.

Love LBTS and do check out Sunny.org. Mclaurie and I see to stay in the same areas in South Florida.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The Greenbriar Beach Resort in Hollywood Beach is wonderful and a very short walk to the Broadwalk. I love Hollywood Beach. My favorite place in South Florida.

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch for the replies on Captain's Quarters Motel. I truly appreciation the information on your stays at this motel. I would like to know if the beds and pillows were comfortable. I've had the unpleasant experience of staying at some motels re the pillows are as flat as a board and the bed in like lying on a rock. Can anyone who has stayed at Captain's Quarters provide me with the conditions of the bed and pillows? How about the general cleanliness of the room? Excuse me for being so detailed in asking such questions but I have found many times that you really need to see a hotel before you feel satisfied with it. So I'm relying on your opinions of the experience you had at staying at this motel. Did you find any flaws at all?
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:27 AM

Room was clean. No problems with pillows etc. You can ask owners/managers etc to bring additional etc. Call them! They will be happy to talk to you! Request stuff. Our room was small for us and kids. I would take a suite next time. They have different rooms. Pool is small, but nice. I LOVED THIS MOTEL!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:28 AM

http://www.captainsquartersresort.com
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 08:46 AM

We are going to LBTS in January and booked at Shore Haven Resort on Ocean Drive. I am thinking of changing to Best Florida Resort, next to Clarion on Ocean Drive and not across the street like Shore Haven. The prices are good and comes recommended on Trip Advisor. Just curious if anyone can give helpul information on my decision on which one to stay. I have stayed at the Clarion before and prefer a smaller place. Love the entire beach area...lovely community.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM

barj:

just know that Clarion is right across A1A from a small mall i might have mentioned before in this thread. good location and around that area haven't seen any nasty looking places so you should be safe. tell me/us what you think of the town. went twice and loved the little beachtown atmosphere.