South Carolina Help?

Search

South Carolina Help?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Carolina Help?

Wife and I are looking for romantic beach get-away this summer and are considering SC or Georgia coast (we've been to FL and looking for someplace new). I would appreciate input...currently considering Kiahwah or Myrtle Beach.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Romance? I would suggest Cumberland Island, GA, the Greystone Inn, or the Jeckyll Island Club or The Inn at St. Simon. GoT and Chuck, the Beach Dweller, will give you some SC suggestions. Personally I would pick a place near Charleston like IOP.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:33 AM
iceeu2

Sea Island, GA....The Cloister!

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:59 AM

The Sanctuary at Kiawah is very nice and only about 30 minute drive to downtown Charleston now with the new roads.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Our favorite resort is Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms. It is a self contained resort on a pretty beach, but 10 minutes away from good shopping and 20 minutes away from all of the atmosphere of Charleston.

If you are on a budget try the Holiday Inn Express on Isle of Palms.

If you do go the Myrtle the new Marriot is wonderful. Embassy Suites and Kingston Plantation is nice and has a free happy hour and breakfast.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:56 PM

As much as I love my hometown of Myrtle Beach, I don't know that it would be my first choice for a honeymoon. That said, I think PalmettoPrincess is right about the Marriot or KP--those are the best places in MB.

I also think you've gotten great suggestions from the rest of the gang above. All of those recommendations are right on the money (from what I've seen and/or heard). My personal favorite would be somewhere near enough Charleston to drive in for the day or for dinner (like Wild Dunes or Isle of Palms or Kiawah--which is awesome). Charleston is the best!

Here are a few other possibilities not yet mentioned:

Hilton Head (we honeymooned there nearly 21 years ago); it's a little more developed now, but it's still a great place.

Litchfield (just south of MB is a great little off-the-beaten-path resort area; you'd have a lot of fun exploring the areas around there: Pawleys Island, Georgetown, Murrells Inlet, even MB is only about 30 minutes away).

Have a great time wherever you go, and congratulations!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:06 AM

I agree about the Sanctuary at Kiawah, it is impressive and just beautiful there. Albeit VERY expensive. Kiawah and Myrtle Beach are like night and day. Kiawah is extremely laid back and focused on natural beauty. Myrtle Beach is a mix of neon lights and natural beauty, depending on which part you choose. The cloister is also gorgeous....and pricey.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:41 AM

If you want to do a little more off the beaten path try Seabrook Island (adjacent to Kiawah) or Amelia Island (yes I know it is in Fla.) MB is not an option based on the romantic criteria.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the feedback. Since we will most likely land in either Charleston or Savannah, I'm leaning towards the Kiahwah or Hilton Head areas. It will take us nearly 5 hrs to get Charleston or Savannah so we're looking for something around an hr or less from those points.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Savannah is an approx. 1/2 hr drive to HH. The Marriott or Westin in HH is great, great restaur. lots of greanery. Charleston would only be about a 2 hr. drive. Sav. and Charleston both have horse and buggy rides.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:41 AM

The Marriott at HH has Escape Dining Packages including breakfast AND supper for two for not much more than the room rate. We did this in Columbia SC and figured out that we paid to eat and slept free. HH is more expensive than Columbia though.

Go to the Marriott site, try your resort and hit specials. The one we used is called Escape: Dining.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Folly Beach is one island closer to Charleston and is a nice alternative to the resorty places already mentioned. Spent half my childhood there. The place has a genuine small town feel to it. Lots of beachhouses to rent. Downtown Charleston is about 20 minutes away.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Edward: shush! please don't tell anybody else about Folly. The world is starting to figure it out.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Amelia Island is about 1 hr. South of Savannah, the afore-mentioned Seabrook, 40 minutes from Charleston (probably less than that from the airport). Folly is another great suggestion...I'm not a big resort type so that is better fit than Kiawah or Hilton Head which are more resort oriented.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM

A point of disclaimer: I was born in Charleston and grew up on Folly Beach. Thus when I say that I wouldn't spend my vacation on Folly Beach, it does reflect some experience.

Folly is going through a real change -- There are fewer biker bars; more nice restaurants, for sure. And there are more really nice houses to rent. Given that, however, the island still has a way to go to qualify as a romantic destination.

Even more disturbing is the growing problem of beach erosion all up and down the beach. High tide can be a challenge to find a bit of sand.

Romantic destination: The Sanctuary at Kiawah or a condo on the beach at Wild Dunes with dinner in Charleston.