South Calif Beaches w/ Toddler

Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

South Calif Beaches w/ Toddler

Hi,

We are taking a vacation out to Anaheim at the end of April. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and want to spend one day at the beach (the other time will be at Disneyland and San Diego Wild Park). Which beach would be the best bet for us? A few guide books pointed us to Marina Del Rey. Also, is it beach weather at the end of April?

Thanks,

Steve
Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:06 AM

It is not generally beach weather at the end of April. At least not good for going into the water, as it will be chilly. It may be you'll hit a particularly warm, sunny day, so it might be a great day to hit the sand.

The "beach" at Marina Del Rey -- I suspect the guide books are referring to "Mother's Beach", as we call it. Many years ago it was a good option for parents with small children because of the lack of waves, but it has become one of the worst places to take children (or anyone for that matter) due to the water pollution. I suggest going to healthebay.org and looking at their "weekly report card" beach reports. This site also provides information regarding beach closures, and also lists all of the beaches along the coast.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM

Even if it were clean, it's out of the way to come up to Marina Del Rey anyway, you should stick with the beaches near Anaheim or San Diego. There are many nice beaches as you head south from Anaheim to San Diego.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM

If you will be staying in Anaheim I strongly suggest you pick a beach in Orange County to visit and not LA. Just too much driving, especially with a little one in the backseat!

One beach in Orange County that is particularly good for families is Corona del Mar, just south of Newport Beach. It's quieter and a little more laid back than most other beaches. Also, it's close to the jetty for Newport Harbor and it can be fun for little ones to watch the sailboats coming in and out of the harbor. (it really depends on what day - more sailboats on weekends than during the week) Plus, you are close to Newport Beach and all the restaurants and shops. Or, Laguna Beach is just a short, beautiful drive down the coast with more restaurants, shops, and art galleries. (not sure how much interest a 3 year old would have in an art gallery!)

As Sufergirl stated, late April may not exactly be beach weather. However, that doesn't mean you can't spend a day by the beach! And even if the water may be too cool, what 3 year wouldn't like digging their toes in the sand anyway? Well, unless it happens to rain, that is!
Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
ltt

you didn't ask but i will just throw in that many children the ages of yours get really restless at the wild animal park.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:06 PM

Just to throw my 2 cents in, we typically go to San Diego every May, about the middle of May (so not long after your planned trip), the water (as mentioned) is usually cold, but with the young ones they won't be going in far enough for it to matter. We have always had great times on the beach during this time. The weather tends to feel chilly in the morning, but when the sun breaks those typical San Diego morning clouds it is beautiful. Anaheim are can be much the same. We have young ones also (4,4 and 2) and they LOVE the beach. I LOVE just sitting there and occasionally going to stand in the water. Anyway, also wanted to comment on something else that Itt mentioned. We have taken our young ones to the Wild Animal Park twice and both times it didn't do so well. I highly suggest Sea World or the San Diego Zoo over the Wild Animal Park with toddlers. The Wild Animal Park is alot of walking to see very few animals. The tram ride is great, but it is about 45 minutes and the last time we went our youngest got real squirrley (no pun intended) about 25-30 minutes into it and it does not stop you cannot get off once you get on. We go to Sea World every year and our kids love it, the shows are only about 20 minutes long (long enough for toddlers to sit through) and there are plenty of toddler friendly areas. We are going again this May for my mothers day/b-day present, that is why we go every year and I never tire of Sea World. The kids will lvoe to see the marine life up close, I think that is why they get bored with the Wild Animal Park, can't get close enough to enimals. Have fun with what you decide. Oh, we have alsways had good luck with Carlsbad Beach in San Diego. Newport Beach is nice also, haven't been to Huntington Beach in awile but it used to be good, maybe locals could tell you about that.
Mar 29th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help especially the Wild Park advice. I think we are going to do Sea World instead.

Steve