Which San Diego beach do we want?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be there the first week of August. My husband and 19 yo brother want to SURF. My mom and I want to chill on the beach under an umbrella. My kids (son is 6, daughter is 4) want to play in the waves and build sand castles. We'll be spending two days of our trip at the beach- so two diff recommendations are welcome!

I've been looking at SanDiego.org, but their beach reviews aren't very informative...and they even mentioned that Mission Beach could make "kids wonder, and parents worry" with no other explanation??? HUH?!

I've been looking at Mission Beach (N or S?) Mission Bay, La Jolla, and Coronado Island. Our hotel is in Northern San Diego, and we're going to SeaWorld and on a harbor tour on the other days. Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM

waves really vary - I would check the surf on that day if they are really into it.
Not sure on the Mission Beach comment... ? it can be a little "dicey" that is all I can think of?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:53 AM
TahitiTams

Best beach for everyone is La Jolla Shores..overall a wonderful beach where the 19 year old can surf to the right close to Scripps Pier and the young kids can play near the Sea Lodge hotel and you can rent kayaks or snorkel..the water is really clear and clean.
The Cheese Shop in the Shores is great for one of the best deli sandwiches or Jeff's burgers that are really good after boogie boarding all day.
Mission Beach/Pacific Beach is usually a party beach with tons of kids drinking..homeless issues too.
Sandiego dot org isn't all so informative as it should be..
Coronado in front of the Hotel Del is rated one of the Top Ten beaches and its a wonderful beach but not much for surfing..waves are usually blown out.
Del Mar near Jake's is a great beach too.

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you'll be staying in northern San Diego, then go to Torry Pines State Beach and/or Del Mar beach. There's plenty of parking at Torrey Pines for about $5 a day. There are bathrooms (wear flip flops) and showers. When you arrive, be sure to ask the lifeguard where it's best for the kids to play in the water as there can be dangerous rip currents. The surfing area is all the way to the north end of the beach. You can use boogie boards anywhere. No food here so you'd have to take stuff to eat and drink. There's a great Roberto's on Carmel Valley Road at Via Aprilia for tacos, etc. It's walking distance from the parking lot.

At Del Mar beach (15th Street) parking is much harder. There is a small pay lot where the train station used to be. Other than that, it's street parking and I think some public parking-watch for signs. I think there are bathrooms and there are showers. There are two restaurants right on the beach, Jake's and Poseidon. You can't wear swimsuits, but neither is very formal. Probably Poseidon would be better with little kids as you can sit outside on the beach side.

Both beaches have lifeguards.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:23 AM

I agree with Tams on the beach by Jakes in Del Mar... brings back lots of great memories!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great replies so far!

How long would it take for someone to walk to the North end of Torrey Pines Beach?
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM

From the part of the beach that would be good for your daughters to play in the waves, I'd say about a five minute walk-my son thinks less!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 03:36 PM

I agree with TahitiTams that the best beach for everyone is La Jolla Shores, especially if you'll be based in Northern San Diego. There's surfing, snorkeling, kayaking, grassy area for picnicing, life guards, showers, bathrooms, and places to eat.

Torrey Pines State beach will suit you nicely as well. Parking there is now $8 for the day. This is the beach to go to if you like to do long beach walks in a natural setting....just walk south towards Black Beach and you got ocean to the west and tall sandy cliffs (Torrey Pines State Reserve) to the east. Absolutely beautiful. There's also opportunity for tidepooling towards Black Beach which younger kids seem to love.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Is Blacks beach still a nude beach? If so - bs83 you might want to know that
;-)
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:42 PM

bs83, Black's Beach really isn't suitable for children.

Torrey Pines Beach is divided into two parts by the channel to Los Penasquitos Lagoon. To get to the northern section, you need to park in the lot off Carmel Mountain Road.

La Jolla Shores is also great, but there's better parking at Torrey Pines.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM

I agree with La Jolla Shores. Huge grassy park, showers, fairly clean bathrooms, showers, picnic tables, lifeguards, a few blocks walk to the sandwich shops, free parking. BUT GET THERE EARLY, I pulled into the lot on Thursday AM and it was almost full at 9:30.

I just got back today from 4 days in Mission Beach, parking is IMPOSSIBLE and it is a really rowdy party scene. La Jolla Shore is far superior for a family trip to the beach.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Blacks Beach is still a nude beach. Sorry about that. I often do that beach walk and don't really notice the nudity. Most of the people there seem to have clothes on.

In any case, you don't have to walk all the way to Blacks Beach to enjoy the scenery. Blacks Beach is about a mile south from Torrey Pines State Beach parking, and you have to walk over some rocky terrain, which is really difficult at high tide, to get there. If you're walking south with the kids and you seem to be about to walk straight into a cliff jetting out towards the water, just don't walk around the cliff. Turn around and enjoy the walk back.