Any recent visits to Muir Woods?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to Muir Woods recently? We have an option to drive there from San Francisco and park by making an $8 parking reservation. I had read somewhere that parking was hard to come by and better to take a tour bus. I'm assuming the reservation system has made it easier to get a parking spot. It's at least $68/person to book a Muir Woods/Sausalito tour. We have a car available to us from a family member so figured it would be a big savings plus if we decide to cancel due to weather, we won't lose the tour money.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 06:54 AM

Go here. https://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I know of this website. I am looking to see if anyone can advise on personal experience. Thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 09:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You MUST make advance reservations whether you drive or take the bus. Makes no difference. So do which ever is most convenient to you. The parking will not be 'hard to come by' since only those with reservations are allowed in to the park. They do not 'over reserve' so there will be enough spaces.

https://www.nps.gov/muwo/planyourvisit/index.htm
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 11:23 AM

To amplify Janis' statement

Parking for private cars is now only by reservation – that is a change this year. So if you reserve a parking spot, you will be guaranteed a spot for the day and time you have chosen. So if you don't go you would only lose the eight dollars.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Friends visited early this month on a weekday. They had no problem getting a next day parking reservation for entry early in the morning. They said many time slots were available for parking.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 03:16 AM

JamilaZ - just wanted to check if you made it to Muir Woods. Several weeks ago, I got parking tickets for Thursday and Friday. We are just going one day but I wanted some flexibility. Do we have to adhere to the time slots in our tickets very strictly? Traveling with my husband, his Dad, and our almost four-year old. I just want to know how firmly I have to push everyone to make it there at a specific time window. Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes!

Originally Posted by mrsrvk
JamilaZ - just wanted to check if you made it to Muir Woods. Several weeks ago, I got parking tickets for Thursday and Friday. We are just going one day but I wanted some flexibility. Do we have to adhere to the time slots in our tickets very strictly? Traveling with my husband, his Dad, and our almost four-year old. I just want to know how firmly I have to push everyone to make it there at a specific time window. Thanks!
Yes, we did go go. I ended up buying tour bus tickets from hotel concierge.It was a more expensive option but I'm so glad I did. We were picked up from the hotel. It is a long drive and although a nice drive, I was not in mood to go round and round up the mountains. I saw the parking lot and it did not look very big. I think they would be strict on timings. You will have to push everyone.
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 09:12 PM

Thank you!
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 06:27 AM

JamilaZ - we went to Muir Woods yesterday and we managed to get to the overflow parking lot within the 30 minute window in our parking ticket! Slight pushing certainly helped. Thanks again!