Search

Sao Francisco Parking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sao Francisco Parking

Hey my friends from Fodors.

I´m going to stay 2 nights in San Francisco, arriving by car from Yosemite Route. I´m looking for a Accomodation with parking, just find some in expedia and other sites. Expensive ones.

So, Is SF a easy place to parking even paying? i just have 1 full day to have a tour around the city and i´m really confused, i dont know if i could make this by car or public transportation.

Some tips?

tnkssssssssssssssss,
Juliano.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Try the Columbus Motor Inn http://www.columbusmotorinn.com/ and its sister properties. I believe they all have free parking and are fairly reasonably priced.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Tnks.

and about get the car during the day to drive to main tourism points. like peer wharf ... its easy to park?

Juliano
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 02:27 PM
SAB

Are you asking if it is easy to find paid parking in SF or whether you can find a place to stay with parking? Your question is somewhat confusing. If it is a place to stay see Lee Ann's post. If you are asking about parking in general, the answer depends on where you are. In downtown and areas popular with tourists you can usually find parking IF you are willing to pay. In many neighborhoods that don't have parking garages or lots, street parking can be hard to find at times (i.e. Haight, Cole Valley, Noe Valley, Pacific Heights, Alamo Square, NOPA).
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 02:54 PM

Park the car at whatever hotel you stay at and then either walk or take public transit to go see the sights. You will waste a lot of time [and money] looking for places to park near popular tourist spots, like the wharf.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 03:12 PM

While that is true that parking is sometimes hard to find, and can be expensive when you find it, it is also true that there are parts of the city that are much easier and faster to get to with a car than by public transportation (although public transportation in San Francisco is generally excellent). If you are going to spend you time downtown and at Fisherman's Wharf, then by all means, park the car at a hotel and take public transportation. If you want to go across the Golden Gate Bridge, to the Marin Headlands, Twin Peaks, Land's End, even Golden Gate Park, having a car is much much easier. Also, if you want to criss-cross the city (go from place to place) it might also be easier if you have a car.

So, what do you plan to do with your one day here?
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

I really don't know.

Just figuring out some places to visit, i wanna visit Wharf, Golden Gate, Alcaltraz and other places. My wife is looking for some places.

I just reserve a Hotel in Mission Street, the cheapest hotel with parking.

At night its easy to park in the city? i will have 2 nights and wanna go out to some disco or pub.

I have just 1 day, so i wanna take the car if its necessary pay to park, its just for a day. i need do this to save tim.

Some tips Fodorits?

tnkssssssssss,
Juliano.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 05:26 PM

"I just reserve a Hotel in Mission Street, the cheapest hotel with parking."

Exactly which hotel and what is the address?? There are some not very good areas on Mission.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 05:34 PM

Deb, you beat me to it!
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 05:37 PM

not by much, sf!
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 12:46 AM
SAB

Deb and sf The Vitale is on Mission, so there is hope.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 01:16 AM

Good responses by the SF crew. As for going out clubbing at night - best you get there one way or another - say public transportation earlier in the night - and then take a cab home. You don't want to be nabbed for drinking and driving - a very stiff fine/penalty, etc.

And personally - I would say check out the other hotels down on Lombard v. staying in the Mission. Easier to catch a bus to downtown, the wharf, etc, and there are some nice places to dine, drink, etc on both nearby Chestnut and Union Streets.

A number of them include parking.

http://www.lombardstreethotels.com/
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Mission IN
5630 Mission Street
San Francisco (California), CA 94112

I wont drink and drive..

Now i´m going to search this places and try to find a good place to stay, i can cancel my reservation, i just travel in mid August.

Other hotels or motels?
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 05:52 AM

Omg, I hate to overact, but there is no way in hell I would stay there!! Did you look at pictures and reviews on Tripadvisor?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...a.html#REVIEWS

Best bet -
http://www.columbusmotorinn.com/
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 06:07 AM

And if you are still considering that motel, it is pretty far removed from the sites in SF.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 06:13 AM

How much are you willing to spend a night? Check out my favorite Motel in the Lombard St. area - which costs a bit more but I think it is worth it.

It's called the Coventry Motor Inn at Union and Lombard.

You are close to both Union
St and Chestnut, and it has good bus service, or one street away, etc.

Didn't hear any traffic noise when I spent 3 nights there, and I remember it being built - way back in the late 70's was it? - replacing a Doggie Diner of all things.

http://tinyurl.com/8992h3u
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 06:21 AM

There are actually 5 "sister" properties owned by the same company - Coventry and Columbus being 2 of them; Cow Hollow, Chelsea and Lombard being the others.

Between these 5 you should find a clean, safe, reasonably priced, well located room and I think they all have free parking.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh my goodness!! ;-)

I can cancel my reservation.. tnks

So, i need a place to park and i wanna spend around 70-90 u$ a night for a couple. This motel i reserve for 65 one night.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry - but your budget is not realistic. San Francisco is a pretty expensive hotel city. Even 'cheap' motels can be expensive. You haven't said what the rest of your itinerary is, but REALLY consider dropping your rental car when you get to San Francisco. Especially if you are flying home from there.

Use the savings from the shorter rental to raise your budget to at least $100 a night.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Ohh my god...

i cant drop my car, i´m going to LA and arriving from Yosemite by car.

Ok, i can pay 100 u$ or more, but i´m looking for places just to sleep and take a shower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -