South Beach Miami trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a 4 day girls trip to South Beach. The weather was perfect and quite a welcome reprieve from the freezing Spring in Boston. Our main objectives were to hit the beach and relax so we didn't do much sightseeing beyond the beach. Here are the highlights.

Hotel:

Marseilles on Collins Ave. The Marseilles is in a fantastic location, just a couple of hotels over from the Delano, it backs right up to the beach. I've stayed here before and at $155/night I think it may be the best deal on the beach. It has a pool, a pool bar and hammocks and loungers under palm trees. The rooms are small and the bathrooms need updating but it's clean and pleasant. Don't stay here if you require a lot of quiet though, the price definitely attracts a more party crowd, although certainly nothing too crazy. I also saw plenty of couples and families. We had happy hour drinks here a couple of times and they're pretty good. They also had a DJ for happy hour Fri and Sat nights.

Food/Drink:

Front Porch Cafe: Located on Ocean Drive near 14th St, we had lunch here one day. The menu is pretty extensive, the food and the service was very good. We sat outside with a view of the ocean and although it was a hot day, it was very breezy up on the porch.

Van Dyke Cafe: Located on Lincoln Road. We ate breakfast here twice. This is a great place to people watch and both times we had excellent service. The food was also good.

Bond St: Located on 20th at the Townhouse Hotel. The food was definitely a highlight, everything was amazing. Service was also excellent. We got here at 8pm on a Thursday night and thought we were hitting the early bird special though. It definitely doesn't pick up until 9. I liked the atmosphere but it's in the basement so it's dark and lounge-y.

Nemo: Located on 1st and Collins. This was, by far, the worst meal of the trip. We had made a reservation and requested an outdoor table, the hostess wouldn't honor it and offered no apology. We didn't get our bread, which normally would have been ok but the beef salad we ordered as an app was so spicy our eyes were watering, so we could've used the bread. We ordered the mussels and each tasted one and they were so awful we made faces. Very, very bitter. Then we noticed that many of the mussels hadn't even opened. How a kitchen doesn't notice that is beyond me. We sent them back and canceled the order. We also had a calamari dish that was "eh". I'd never go here again.

Table 8: Located on Ocean Drive in the South Beach Hotel near 14th St. This was our best meal of the trip. Everyone was very friendly, we didn't have a reservation but they got us in within a half an hour. The atmosphere was nice and the food was delicious. The highlight was their specialty cocktails. I had the oye mami margarita and it was the best cocktail I've ever had. It was made with tequila, watermelon, jalapeno and lime juice. So good. Pricey but worth it.

Raleigh Hotel: Located on Collins Ave near 17th St. We had lunch here one day and we agreed that this was our favorite hotel, hands down. The entrance is so lush and beautiful, as are the pool areas. Our waiter was so great and the food was beyond excellent. I had the moules frites and they were seriously the best mussels I've ever had. After lunch we hit the boutique and the sales girl was nice enough to give me the 10% hotel guest discount on the Pucci bag I bought even though I wasn't staying there. We agreed that next time we'd splurge and stay at the Raleigh. They also have a shuttle that comes every 20 minutes that will take you to their sister property the Standard. We didn't get a chance to go but it sounds equally as luxurious and fun.

Skybar at the Shore Club: Located on Collins, a couple of doors down from the Raleigh. This was our favorite lounge experience, we came here twice. The grounds are so extensive and so pretty (they have 2 pools). There's tons of loungers and outdoor seating so even when it's busy, it didn't feel crowded. The bartenders were also great. We corralled a bed and just people watched, I really loved the vibe here.

Social at Sagamore: Located at Collins near 16th St. We got here around 9pm on a Sat thinking we would have dinner and drinks. We walked in, looked around for a minute, and then decided to leave immediately. The lobby is pretty sparse and uninteresting and as soon as you walk in, the music is blaring. Techno, by the way. We hated the music, the lighting, the vibe and the people were seriously the snottiest we'd encountered in Miami. Maybe the food is good, I don't know but unless you are under 25 and like techno, I'd skip this place.

Delano: Located on Collins at 17th St. I've been to the Delano before and it was my favorite. I was excited to show my friends but unfortunately the night we went it had been rented out by a large company. The pool and cabana areas were seriously wall to wall with people wearing nametags, you could barely move, let alone find a spot to sit anywhere. I was bummed, we had one drink then left. We decided to skip the Florida Room too, which I'm kind of kicking myself over. Anyway, I still love the Delano and would recommend it as a great place for drinks, just not when there's a corporate event.

National Hotel: Located on Collins, in between the Delano and Sagamore. We came here for Friday happy hour, they have 2 for 1 drinks. I was a bit surprised at the National, I expected the pool and grounds to be a lot different. It was nice, just missing that wow factor for me. One strange thing, we were sitting on loungers near the back, sipping our margaritas when this guy walked by and proceeded to light up a joint. Right in the middle of happy hour in plain view. He was clearly open for business and attracted a couple of customers in no time. No one seemed to take notice or care either. So, if you're looking for party favors, head to the National.

That's about it I think. All in all it was a very relaxing, good trip. There's still so many places we missed but there's always next time I guess.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:03 AM

wyatt Welcome Home, Has Boston hasn't warmed up very much since coming home? I woke up to snow here in Detroit Sunday.

Sounds like you girls had a great time. Sorry to hear about Nemo's. That is one of my fav's there in SB, but I have to admit the prices were too top shelf for us. We always sit at the cook's counter and get excellent service. I'm sure you dropped a few bucks there and to not like your food well that sucks.

I don't miss the crowds at SB. Were there in Dec and it wasn't anywhere near like it used to be.

Thanks for taking the time out to post a TR.

Theresa in Detroit.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Theresa, Boston isn't too warm today but it looks like 60s later in the week. Finally!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Thanks for posting! This is great info as I'll be in South Beach next Sunday and Monday. We reserved at Barton G on Monday, but I'm tempted to do Table 8 instead. Sunday night we'll stay casual because I predict a hangover after wedding in Fort Lauderdale Saturday night.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We live 25 miles NW of South Beach and never go to any of these places.

We have our couple of favorites that we visit a couple of times a year and that's it.

I think we'll have to expand our horizons.

Thanks for the report.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

becky, I'd definitely recommend Table 8. It may be hard to get a reservation, but if you show up after 9 you could probably get in.

Myer, you definitely need to hit the Raleigh for lunch on a Saturday!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
wyatt,
We don't really eat lunch.

We usually go on a bike ride then.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the trip report! I stayed at the Raleigh last summer for a bachelor/bachelorette party and it was a blast! I would easily stay there again.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Wow...so sorry to hear about the rotten lunch at Nemo's. I had brunch there at the end of December 2007 (brunch buffet; didn't order off the menu) and it was one of the best brunches I've had. Huge assortment of food, and all of it very tasty. We thought it was a great spread for the price ($25 per person I think).

Of course, a brunch buffet where you're basically serving yourself and a sit down lunch where you're really experiencing the service are two different things. But I would go back to Nemo's for brunch in a heartbeat...for lunch? No way after your report!