Search

Weekend in Miami

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend in Miami

My husband and I are thinking about going to Miami for a long weekend. We have never been there and I was wondering what was the best area to stay in. We are thinking the Miami Beach/South Beach area. Any recommendations on hotels (under $200)? I found better airfare out of Ft. Lauderdale. Would that be a hassle? Do we need a car while in Miami? Not really sure what we would do yet. Mostly just want to get away and hang out at the beach, go to some nice restaurants, etc. Are there any "must dos"? Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
GoTravel

South Beach is the most walkable area of Miami Beach. A car there is a PIA and will cost you all most as much to park as the rental fee.

If you do a 'South Beach' search, rjw and I have written loads of information about where to stay, where to eat, and what to do in South Beach. You will also find an extensive list of restaurant and hotel recommendations.

South Beach is a great place to get away and just hang out. The entire South Beach area is walkable and a lot of fun.

I hope this helps and if you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, GoTravel. I'll look at your other postings.

Anyone else have input?
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 01:40 PM
bamakelly

On this subject, GT is definitely the guru! I posted a trip report recently about my Miami Beach trip, but most of the suggestions originally came from GoTravel anyway.

As for must-do's: I thought the Delano was way cool for hanging out at night and also for Sunday brunch. And Barton G's was a fun, over-the-top dinner. And a car is definitely a HUGE hassle, whereas cabs are plentiful and easy to come by, if you don't walk.

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 05:30 AM
GoTravel

Want to add that a cab from FLL to South Beach would cost you at least $60 each way so you would have to save a minimum of $120 to make flying to FLL worth your while. Because traffic is so heavy, I'd much rather fly in and out of Miami. Besides, it is only a 10-15 minute ride from the airport to the beach versus 1 hour plus from FLL.

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:10 AM

South Beach is nice..I definately would not stay in Miami itself...very dirty.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! Think we'll try to fly into Miami airport. GoTravel, any hotels you would recommend? Preferably, 4 star for around or under $200 if that is possible.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM
GoTravel

What time of year? It really does make a difference.

Off season you could possibly do the Delano or the Loews picking Delano first.

If you can get the Ritz-Carlton or Shore Club for anything near your range, jump all over that deal.

I've never seen The Tides below $400 even in off season.

The funny thing about South Beach is that they have a glutton of really nice hotels, almost no middle or the road accommodations and just a few dumps.

The Doubletree Surfcomber for example, would be a 3 star normally but it really is nicer than most 4 stars I've stayed in. It has a spa, restaurant, gorgeous pool but no room service to make it a four star.

Do you want oceanfront or non oceanfront? The reason I ask is that all of the deco hotels on Ocean Drive from 5th Avenue to 14th are across the street from the beach. Lummus Park is the oceanfront land that boarders the ocean in that area.

Because the oceanfront hotels sit so far off the beach, the distance from your hotel room to the water is equal of those hotels on Ocean Drive. Also, in order to get an ocean view, you need to be above the tree line. Not easy considering you are competing with 60 year old palm trees that are 30 feet high.

The Lincoln Road Mall area (around 16th) is where the oceanfront hotels are located and also where the nicer hotels are.

One of my very favorite hotels, The Hotel, is Collins and 8th but was designed by Todd Oldham and has the most kick ass rooftop pool in Miami. No lie.

Then of course there is the Setai that starts at $1,000 per night.

I highly suggest you go to your local Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy of Ocean Drive Magazine. It is a wealth of information.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, GoTravel. We are thinking about Labor Day weekend or around that time. I will get that magazine.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:33 PM

i posted on the wrong miami thingee. my friend just got back. she said the setai was not worth the money and was sorry she didn't pick the shore club as it looked the nicest.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:49 PM
GoTravel

keri, I've watched the Setai being built for what seems like years. Interesting comment. I'd love to hear more about the hotel if your friend wouldn't mind passing anything on. I'm a hotel junkie!

I love the Shore Club. It is a beautiful hotel. The lobby isn't as 'WOW' as the Delano but every other part of the hotel makes the Delano look shabby.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:51 PM
GoTravel

By the way Cerlaurie, I'll be in South Beach in a couple of days if you want me to check out any of the hotels for you. I know quite a bit about a lot of them but there are still some I'm not familiar with.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM

when i know more, i'll post. she travels a ton always stays at the top places, spends fortune and we don't speak that often, but all i remember was she said the pool wasn't comfortable or tropical the way the shore club was. that she expected a whole lot more for the money and that the experience was kind of uneven.

but i have never been to either so i don't even know what i'm saying! lol!

if i hear more i'll post.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:07 PM
GoTravel

Thanks keri! I can't afford it but would love to visit vicariously!

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:57 PM

My sister and I flew into Ft Lauderdale for the Virginia Tech/Univ of Miami football game last December. We were only in Miami for 3 days, but we had the best time-so much fun!! (probably helped that Tech won the ACC with that game!)

Flying in to Miami VS FLL: we live near BWI, and the fares were so much cheaper to FLL b/c of Southwest than to Miami.

Rental car: We rented a car b/c my sister had an interview at Univ of Miami, we wanted to stay one night in SB (can't remember the name of the hotel!), and were spending the other 2 at the Marriott Biscayne Bay. We did NOT put alot of miles on the car, but it was nice to have the freedom. Parking in SB was not bad, but we probably got lucky a few times. It took 45 minutes to get back and forth to the airport from South Beach, but we did arrive late Thursday and left early Sunday.

We can't wait to return in 2006!!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Interesting info about South Beach. My sister and I are planning a trip in mid-September and want a hotel that is cheap but clean. We're not fancy, but need the basics - maybe even a pool, balcony, close to beach. I am thinking of renting a car too, just to get around a bit, but am worried about parking availability and cost. Can anyone help???
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

We still haven't made a decision about South Beach over Labor Day weekend. We found airfare for just over $200 from Chicago and the Ritz is only $189 a night. We are hesitant because it is hurricane season and I heard somewhere that they are predicting more hurricanes this summer than last. Wonder what people think? Maybe we should try Vegas instead.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM
GoTravel

celaurie, you cannot predict hurricanes. We could have 20 this year or none, it really is a crapshoot.

That is a steal for the RC. I'd book that price. September is beautiful month to visit.