Search

south beach miami

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:42 AM
kerry

south beach miami

I am staying at the Avalon in south beach for a weekend after a 4 day cruise. Do I need a car to see all of the sights, ahs anyone ever stayed at the Avalon and what are some of the good local places to eat at?
Thanks--Kerry

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:46 AM
abst14

If you plan on staying on South Beach the whole time it's best not to have a car. If you want to see anything else in Miami you'll need either lots of taxi money, pick up rides or get a car. Miami is not public transportation friendly and there's nothing else around South Beach but the beach, restaurants, clubs and tourist shopping.

What do you want to see and do in Miami?

Avalon is a typical old Miami Beach hotel with a renovated front and fun restaurant outside in the heart of things...across from the beach and in the middle of the action. I prefer a new Hampton Inn to the old musty smell but you can't beat the ambiance on South Beach. If you can afford the Loew's its new. (I don't like old hotels so I'm biased)

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:53 AM
kerry

Thanks for the help. I am just looking to kind of experience the miami scene, I don't know how to better describe it. I know that that is pretty vague, sorry

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:02 AM
mv

i stayed at the avalon a few yrs ago and the rooms are small for the price you pay - check out the nassau suites hotel site - their rooms are much more spacious and if go to lodging.com they have a great price of $73/nt

the best thing about the hotel is their restaurant " a fish called avalon" - food is incredible, sea bass that melts on your fork

you really don't need a car while in south beach but if you want to travel the greater miami area and do some outlet shopping than it is recommended

south beach is a great experience

have fun

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:17 AM
abst

unless you plan on site seeing or going to areas outside the beach I would hold off on the car, it's too expensive to have just in case and bum rides if needed.

Or

If you like to be independant than get a cheap car. ONe day will be cheaper than one taxi ride to the airport. Then you can make friends with the car if you want to go shopping or hit the Grove.