Search

GoCar sightseeing in San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GoCar sightseeing in San Francisco?

Has anyone actually done the GoCar tour in San Francisco?
http://www.gocartours.com/

I was watching a TV show last night on SF, and one segment is on these self-guided GoCar tours. Basically, you rent a GoCar equipped with GPS and the car directs you where to go with a running commentary. It looks quite intriguing though I would be horrified to drive in the city in a GoCar.

Any local San Franciscoans seen these thing around town?
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:44 AM

we saw them when in San Fran a couple of years ago. They look fun, but I'm not sure I would feel very safe in them!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM

I saw them. That GPS or whatever that recording is, so loud, all eyes will be on you Besides, it takes a brave person to drive a car without side doors on those hills!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
yk
Original Poster

Hi Faina -

On the TV program, these GoCars have doors. What they lack are roofs! Though the company offers helmets (as if those will help much if the GoCar rolls over).

I just think it's a great concept, but really not so great in terms of safety - both for the tourist and other motorists on the road. I wonder how fast these GoCars can go?

If I were a local driving my car to work and stuck behind one of these GoCars, I would have a severe case of road rage!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM

I see the GoCars here in downtown San Francisco and it makes me shudder. I've heard Muni bus drivers say that the GoCars are barely visible to them, especially when they (the buses) are making turns. I wouldn't rent one and I would discourage someone visiting me from renting one. Just my opinion, naturally, but one based on frequent observations.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
SAB

I've seen them on Market Street and like dovima it sends chills down my spine to see people with nothing but ill fitting helmets tooling around as though they were on a Disneyland ride.

I have also seen them zipping down the hill on which I live as though they were on a ride, and it is disturbing. I think many people get a false sense of security and don't realize that they are taking risks. I have been behind them on occasion and it has been clear that some people just don't realize that they are on busy city streets.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Like said earlier everyone will look at you due to the (a) loudness of the recording and (b) the look of the car. When I was in SF, it was almost amusing to see them going up and down the hills .
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:30 PM

"If I were a local driving my car to work and stuck behind one of these GoCars, I would have a severe case of road rage!" - YEAH, just whack those helmets off with a Fodor's travel book
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM

I saw a bunch of them yesterday. One was "stuck" trying to make some sort of a U-turn & was sitting in the middle of the road cross-wise. If a car had been turninng the corner just then, the GoCar would have been history.

However, I don't recall anything in the news about serious accidents with them. I also suspect that if there were numerous accidents, the insurance companies would make sure that they get banned from the City. The board of Supes would probably find a way to over-react to them also.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:32 PM

SAB brings up a very salient point in her obvservation of GoCar drivings tooling about as if at Disneyland. I've also seen GoCar drivers taking the hills like amusement park rides and generally acting giddy behind the wheel. Yes, regular drivers do stupid things in normal traffic too, but here's the difference:

If all the traffic in San Francisco consisted of vehicles sized the same as a GoCar or an Austin MiniCooper, I guess the experience would be fairly safe. But it doesn't. There are buses, trucks, streetcars, SUV's, etc. everywhere in this city. Even a motorcycle has better visibility than a GoCar.