Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sonoma / San Fran trip - please help. I think I'm crazy!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am overanalyzing this trip trememdously. Thinking about flying into San Jose (we are using FF miles) on Friday night, staying in a hotel near the airport, and then driving up the coast (Highway 1) to see some scenery on our way to Sonoma on Saturday morning. Is this crazy? Is there good scenery on that drive? I thought it might be a nice way to start out the trip. Thanks!!
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Hwy 1 is beautiful all the way from Santa Cruz to Pacifica (a few not-so-scenic spots around Half Moon Bay). However, if you look at a map, you either have to drive pretty far southwest of San Jose to Santa Cruz, or head north & cut over on Hwy 92 to Half Moon Bay (and miss the most scenic stretch of the drive). There are a few other ways to get there, but they are over very winding roads. If you go via Hwy 17 towards Santa Cruz, you won't make it to Sonoma in the morning.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu! You have been a valuable resource with all of my previous posts as well.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 08:51 PM

The airport is right next to Hwy 17. It is a 30-45 minute drive over the hills on 17 to Santa Cruz. The drive north is lovely as far as Pacifica - another 30-45 minutes - then you head into San Francisco and over the Golden Gate into Marin - another 30-45 minutes. Then another 30-45 minutes to Sonoma. Most of those 30-45 minutes intervals are really closer to 30 - but I imagine you won't be driving too fast. Even if you stop along the way, you should be in Sonoma for lunch. It's probably two and a half to three hours of driving, and not difficult. The ride over 17 winds a bit, but stay in the slow land and it is not bad.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:27 PM

I live in Santa Cruz, and Sonoma is my home town.

Allow 35-40 minutes from San Jose Airport to Highway 1 in Santa Cruz, over Hwy. 17. That is a pretty drive.

Then allow 2 hours to the Golden Gate Bridge up Hwy. 1 through Pacifica, as described. (If we take Hwys 85/280 we can be in San Francisco in under two hours, from Santa Cruz...see note below.)

Another 45 minutes or so on Hwys. 101, 37, 121 and 12 to Sonoma.

You didn't say when you want to be in Sonoma. If you have time stop in Santa Cruz. Take the River Street exit after you merge onto Hwy 1 and park when you see the main street with the trees and sidewalk cafes. Stroll and/or have a coffee at the Coffee Roasting Company or breakfast at the Walnut Avenue Cafe..at a table on the sidewalk if weather permits. At the Municipal Wharf you can get a great view of Monterey Bay and look for the sea lions, barking under the pier. A short drive up West Cliff Drive takes you to Steamer Lane, a near-famous surfing spot and a tiny surfing museum in the shape of a lighthouse.

Back on Hwy 1 on the way north, before Davenport, are a couple of historic ranches, now "state parks" where they sometimes have living history exhibits.

If you haven't had coffee in Santa Cruz, go a block off the highway to the main street in Half Moon Bay and find the cute cafe on a corner, whose name I don't remember.

The rest of the way is well-marked. You will go over Devil's Slide, the road is high on the cliffs, and you just sort of come into Hwy 280 after Pacifica.

I hope you have time to do this....

If not, here is an alternative to get to the Golden Gate Bridge. Take Hwy 17 towards Santa Cruz, as before. Then take Hwy 85 (a freeway) north and watch for the exit to San Francisco on Hwy 280. This has been described as the "most beautiful freeway in the world". Rolling hills for the most part, and they will be green, green green. This will lead you to the Golden Gate Bridge. Just be sure not to stay in the right hand lane on 280 or you will be whisked off to downtown San Francisco. Watch the signs for the Golden Gate Bridge.

Have a great trip. If you have questions about Sonoma, I would be glad to answer.