Costco on the way to Healdsburg from SFO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be traveling with a group, and we are thinking of stopping at Costco to stock up on our way to Healdsburg and our rental house. We are also planning to try to hit some interesting spots on our way up from the airport. The Costco website lists 2 locations near Healdsburg, one in Santa Rosa and one a little south of there. Is one of these stores easier to find on a more scenic, interesting sight-seeing type drive up from the airport? I know some of you are locals, and so I'd like your thoughts. Thanks.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Where is the "south of there" Costco?
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Neither location .easily lends itself
to being located to a "scenic route"
from SFO.

You could cross the GG Bridge and drive around in the Marin headlands-prior to going North. Another thought is that you could travel to the first Mill Valley exit and follow Hwy 1 to Olema-
and go inland to Petaluma and tag up with 101 again and then into the Rohnert Park Costco. (I suggest this
knowing it is nearly sacreligious to skip an exploration of Pt. Reyes as Olema is the gateway to this heavenly place!)

Any other scenario would have you backtracking to either Costco location.

The time of day you'll be doing this is important - traveling north on Hwy 101 after 3PM is no picnic.
Plus, there is significant construction on Hwy 101 from the Hwy 12 interchange
north for the next 3 exits and traveling this portion through Central Santa Rosa just gets worse after 3 PM.

I would suggest planning a day trip from Healdsburg out 116 to Hwy 1 during your stay. That drive alone is quite
divine !

R5
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM

I'm familiar with the Costco in Santa Rosa. It's just east of Hwy. 101 and since it's near the freeway, the area isn't especially interesting or senic.

Address and phone:
1900 Santa Rosa Ave
Santa Rosa, CA 95407
(707) 566-6434

By "the one a little south of there," you may mean the Costco in Rohnert Park. I've never shopped there but think it would be a typical Costco. It's also just off Hwy. 101 not in an especially interesting or senic area.

Address and phone:
5901 Redwood Dr
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
(707) 540-9118

If you're traveling from SFO to Healdsburg on Hwy. 101, either of these would do. I suggest you stock your rental house with supplies then go in search of "senic and interesting."
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM

There are one or two Costcos in south san francisco - just north of SFO. There's also one in Vallejo.

I think you can Google Costco locations california or something like that.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM

welch-"south of there" Costco is in Rohnert Park. That is the one I would pick as my experience of the Santa Rosa location is a zoo-
right Betsy ?

R5
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM

There's a Costco in Novato (300 Vintage Way) just off 101. Take the Rowland Blvd exit.

You could go there, then head over the freeway on Rowland to South Novato Blvd and turn right (north). South Novato Blvd will take you through Novato and out to Point Reyes-Petaluma Rd. Turn left (south) on that road and it will lead you through Nicasio to Hwy 1.

There's a Cheese Factory on Point Reyes-Petaluma Rd as you turn off from Novato Blvd with a nice pond to stop for a quick bite if you'd like.

Going through Nicasio takes you a bit south on the route, but it will provide you with the most time on Hwy 1.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Why not stop by Costco first thing?

There's a Costco right by San Francisco Airport on South Airport Boulevard.

Check for the Costco location in South San Francisco.

You can stock up and then head north and do whatever sightseeing you choose.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

I knew I'd get some help here. Thanks again. When I was on the Costco website I had a hard time discerning whether or not one would be better than another since I know absolutely nothing about the area.