Sonoma/Napa Overload!

Search

Sonoma/Napa Overload!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonoma/Napa Overload!

I've searched and read. It's made me want to see and do everything. Honestly, I'm suffering from info overload.

Our plan is to head northward via the Sonoma Valley the first day and spend the night on the coast in Jenner. The second day, we will head back southward via the Napa Valley. We are beginning and ending in Walnut Creek. The amount of time we have, as well as the lodging in Jenner and Walnut Creek is fixed. How and where we spend the 2 days is what I am looking for suggestions on.

I was in the area once approx. 10 years ago and remember especially liking the Russian River area. My husband has never been. We enjoy wine, but no specific brands or types. We are complete novices to the world of wineries and tastings. We're interested in scenery and wineries and not interested in spa treatments or outdoor activities such as rafting or hiking. Would anyone be kind enough to offer suggestions that fit into our geographic plan. Thanks.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 04:47 AM

If scenery and wine are what you are looking for in Sonoma, head to Benziger winery. http://www.benziger.com/
They offer a great tram tour of their winery which includes going up into their vineyards on Sonoma mountain and the views are really nice. They use biodynamics to farm their vines. It is a good stop around lunch. They have a nice picnic area. Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Here is the link to the tour section. It is kind of hard to find.
http://www.benziger.com/contactus/tours.php
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:00 AM

The best thing we did in Sonoma was take the Benzinger Tram tour in Glen Ellen. It was very informative and offered a lot of basic knowledge in an entertaining way. Plus going way up into the vineyards, and then down into the caves, was quite an experience! I found it very unique among all the "belly up to the bar" and buy "tastings!"

Also along Rt. 12, we enjoyed the Chateau St. Jean gardens and the atmosphere at Gloria Ferrar champagnes. Now, what we would have added: (1) Chateau St. Jean has a primo tasting area that you pay a little more for, but you get to sit at a table, in a garden, and enjoy the view - instead of standing and being rushed at a bar. (2) The cellar tour at Ferrar. We arrived for the noon tour, but it was not open to the public that day. They are usually at 12-2-4m.

Also, I think that almost directly east of Jenner is Healdsburg. I've heard that's a lovely town for exploring, if you are so inclined.

I'm sure others can help more thoroughly, as my advice is based on one recent visit. But, I would not have wanted to miss Benzinger! Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:27 AM

xxxx, It sounds like Healdsburg is what you're looking for. You can get there from Jenner by driving through the Russian River valley. Stop at Korbel for a tour and tasting. There are so many small, family owned wineries along the way. You'll find it very relaxing and uncrowded, compared to Napa. Healdsburg has a host of great B&Bs and Inns. And you won't go hungry! The scenery is fabulous.

Check out www.wineroad.com for a plethora of information and maps.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:41 AM

There will be soooo many options for wineries! I would suggest having 1 or 2 picked out ahead of time that you really want to visit - otherwise just drop in on any that seem nice to you - Just on Hwy 12 or Hwy 29 or Silverado Trail or River Road there will be dozens to choose from - I like the Sonoma ones better as they pour more variety and often time their better wines - as compared to Napa.

Russian River Pinot Noir is AMAZING!

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Actually, the few Pinot Noir clones in the Sta Lucia Highlands may eventually be CA's best!
M
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I remember liking Sonoma much better than Napa. We are returning via Napa only due to the fact that my friend, with whom we are staying, suggested that we may avoid some Friday traffic headaches by using that route.

How long does the tour/tasting at Benziger take? Are there items available there for lunch purchase or do we need to bring our own picnic?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Hey mikemo...

Totally off this subject, but did you ever post a report from your trip to Portugal?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:50 AM

The Ledson winery is very interesting, and you can't buy their wines anywhere except the winery or their website. Very nice Zins there and the grounds are gorgeous.

If you like Viognier, or would like to taste it if you have yet to, I would recommend the Imagery Winery. You can also view some gorgeous art work there.

I second the Chateau St. Jean suggestion, it is gorgeous. Kunde is also nice with a fountain out front and nice grounds for relaxing.

In Geyeserville, I highly suggest visiting the Chateau Souverain. Stay for lunch at the Alexandar Valley Grille. Complimentary tasting here with your wine cork from your lunch server.

Don't leave Sonoma area without a lunch or dinner at The Girl and the Fig and Cafe La Haye for dinner. ***kim***
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM

xxxx,
Yes and Yes.
I would avoid Napa, 'tho I like Bistro Jeanty and Terra.
Portugal was great.
We flew into Oporto after my son's wedding at Hambleton Hall in the UK - world class place with monumental dinners for 55 + folks Saturday and Sunday.
Rented a small 1.2L VW Golf which swallowed all our luggage (incl the formal wedding dress stuff)in the enclosed "hatch". It was a 5 sp as it would not have been drivable with an Auto trans. Didn't need A/C as the weather was great - unlike the crowded South.
We stayed two nights each at the NW PT
Pousadas (Guimaraes, Viana do Costelo and Canicades/Geres), but the best was the Parador in Baiona, SP. We would return and stay a week there next time.
The local seafood was really wonderful, but the salt content is high in PT cooking.
Many day trips to Santiago, Oporto, the Port houses X the River, Braga, Rias Baixas, R. Duero, etc. We did not make the long trip to Branacaga as my pal "Louisa" can't handle MT roads.
M
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Sorry this is so late. The Benziger tour lasts about an hour I think or less. As I remember, we bought our picnic stuff ahead of time and ate it there. There are many deli areas etc in the town of Sonoma and along the way. Many gas stations have combination grocery/deli counters as well.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Not too late at all, we leave next week. I'll take any other last minute suggestions as well. So far, we plan to take the tour at Benziger, then go to Chateau St. Jean before heading over to Bodega Bay and the Russian River area.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 04:35 AM

Who told you to do Napa to avoid traffic? It took us an hour to get from Healdsburg to St helens at 11 am, middle of the week, off season! Steer clear! If you're going to Benziger (which we loved) you might want to try Viansa for their great food and view. Excellent lunch spot. You can "sample" so many of their gourmet products in the huge shop that you may not be able to eat lunch. It is close to Gloria Ferrer....which has a splendid view as well.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

I believe the suggestion to return through Napa was because we are returning to Walnut Creek, not San Francisco. As it stands now, most of our time will be consumed in Sonoma and we have no plans for Napa other than if something sparks our interest as we pass through. Is there a different return route you would suggest?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
From Healdsburg, you can take the 128 through Alexander Valley. Pretty drive. When you reach Calistoga, take the route through town and then go to Napa via the Silverado Trail in Napa Valley. It will save you time and is a prettier drive tham 12 anyway.

If you go along route 12 to Napa, the St. Helena traffic will hold you up. Silverado Trail is very nice. If you like Zinfandel, Rombauer has a great one (ask for the Joan's Vineyard Zin...only sold at the winery along the Silverado Trail). Have fun.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:13 PM

ooohhhhhh Rombauer Zins and big reds...they are so good, they are the house wine for Auberge de Soleil.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:23 PM

Auberge du Soleil is one of our favorite lunch spots! xxxx, if you have a chance, go to the Chateau Souverain and have lunch at the Alexander Valley Grille. They have a very nice prix fixe lunch. I had the halibut sandwich and it was very good.

You will be given a wine cork with your bill to present to the pourer in the tasting room for a complimentary tasting. ***kim***
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:49 PM
Kal

L2 and 'taitom,
> ExNay on the Rombauer-scray!!!!

Shhhhhhh!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:49 PM

xxxx: How was your trip? Did you enjoy the winery tour at Benziger?