Search

Sonoma Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonoma Anyone?

We will be visiting Sonoma for about a day this summer. We have never been to a winery before and are inexperienced with the whole process. Does anyone recomend a winery that is not to intimidating in this area for newbies?

Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM
rasnes5

The vast majority of the wineries here are well-versed in making everyone feel comfortable-if they were snobs about it they wouldn't sell you any wine. So ask questions from your tasting person (the person pouring the wine)and you'll most likely get more info than you can use (LOL), but you'll have a great experience! That said my list for for you would be:
Buena Vista (I think it's the oldest operating winery in Sonoma),
Ravenswood (these folks make great wine and are rather irreverant about the whole thing),
Gundlach-Bundschu (same as Ravenswood and probably even more fun) and don't go wine tasting on an empty stomach!
That's a short list,but you'll be fine after your 1st time and will probably find your own adventures! Remember to Relax and Enjoy your trip!

Old May 23rd, 2003, 01:08 PM

You have got to stop by for wine tasting at Chateau Souverain. It blew my mind. They are not snobby and you feel like you are in Europe it is SO gorgeous. You need to visit the town of Healdsburg. It is combines old world charm with hip style. It is clean and beautiful there.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:17 PM
rasnes5

Healdsburg is a good hour's drive from the city of Sonoma-be sure to check a map. Definetly worth the trip if you meant were going to be in Sonoma County. If your intention is to stay near the city of Sonoma I would add Beringer to my previous list-it's just North of the city in a little burg called Glen Ellen. They do a neat outdoor tram tour and tell alot about the process of making wine.

Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM
rasnes5

Mea culpa! I mean Benzinger in Glen Ellen-Beringer is over in Napa County(LOL) Must be Friday!

Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:29 PM
Kal

Or...must be .02 by now?
I mixed up Ravenswood w/ Pepperwood the other day and damn near died!
Cheers!
Kal
Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:54 PM
rasnes5

Kal-Never before 5PM !:-S
R5

Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:55 PM
Kal

And we know it's ALWAYS 5pm somewhere!

Ching ching!
Kal
Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:57 PM
rasnes5

Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:59 PM
Kal

Today's weather calls for a watermelon "pucker" on crushed ice w/ a shot of Stoly!
Old May 23rd, 2003, 03:03 PM
rasnes5

And it's about time-if it had rained anymore I was thinkin' of waitin' for Noah! And I am officially on vacation for 2 weeks! YYYEEESSSSSSSS!!!!

Old May 23rd, 2003, 04:01 PM

Oh rasnes5...vacation..makes me misty in the eyes. I have 29 days until the Healdsburg jaunt, two months until Portland and too many days until Vancouver! You know, Eleanor Roosevelt said "No one on their deathbed ever said 'I wish I'd worked more'"..amen,sister!

Stephy-I'd say head to Healdsburg..it's more relaxed (IMO) than Napa with some nice smaller wineries. Drive out Dry Creek and West Dry Creek...stop by the Healdsburg wine store(off the Plaza) on a Friday night for a good tasting. Besides, this is the region of two of my most favored wines..Zinfandel and Pinot Noir. Check out the website www.wineroad.com (I think).

Kal..reminds me of the old Paris post about the woman who ruminated where to take her 85 year old mother in law while in the City of Light. We all wrote about easy museums to traverse etc. Turns out she(the 85 year old MIL) pulled out an old Evian bottle filled with Vodka at 11 am on Day 2 and, after asking her daughter in law if she wanted a "snort"..said "the sun is over the yard somewhere". She(the DIL) went on to regal us with the tale of her MIL tripping on the curb somewhere in Paris and doing a tuck&roll to land on her feet. Must have been "the water".

Stephy..we're old..indulge us(we know things too!)
PamSF
Old May 23rd, 2003, 04:10 PM
rasnes5

PamSF-Good advice on Healdsburg. Methinks we should get paid for all the times we have lauded the area (LOL)and yes it's wineroad.com-been using that one awhile. Left you a message at Wine-O's-Not to frown-vacation will be here in 28 days and 57 minutes!
R5