Sonoma alley in May

Old Jul 27th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonoma alley in May

2 Sr. women traveling to Sonoma Valley to full fill a friends last request. Will be in the area 4 days. Traveling to Cloverdale Ca for 1 day and the rest is open to suggestions. Which airport to fly into - San Francisco, Oakland or Sacramento? Places to stay - eat - things to see. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 06:55 AM

I think Sacramento is an easier airport to navigate than SFO or OAK. No where near the traffic around the airport at SMF. Easy to get onto the correct freeway heading to the Sonoma/Cloverdale.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree re Sacramento . . . but there is an airport in Santa Rosa serviced by AA, Alaska and United. Whether the fares/schedules fit your needs - you'd need to research. But I'd at least look at it before booking into SMF.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 07:53 AM

We always fly in and out of SFO because the fares are better from our city.

As far as places to stay, what is your budget? Do you know which town in the valley you would prefer to stay in?
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

We are open on towns. Not looking for $$$$$$ lodging but do want somewhere that we would feel safe and comfortable staying. Cloverdale is the only city we plan on visiting for just a day but do not have to stay there. Santa Rosa is the only town that I recognize but also interested in small towns and neat places to eat. Didn't know if it would be best to just stay in a general location and just visit different areas.
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 07:16 PM

>>Not looking for $$$$$$ lodging
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj. I will check the towns you mentioned. We don't want the $300 a night rooms but at same time don't want the run of the mill budget hotels. Hopefully it will just be a place to sleep so we can explore all day. We have never been in this area - doing this in memory of a friend that always talked about this area.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 06:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
On a first visit to the area I'd stay in Sonoma itself. I stay just outside town, a couple of blocks down a quiet residential street from the very posh Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, at the very affordable Sonoma Creek Inn, a couple of miles from the Sonoma plaza: http://sonomacreekinn.com/

There's a great deal to do in Sonoma and more in the surrounding towns. Though I've been to the area countless times I always enjoy staying there.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 06:29 AM

>>We don't want the $300 a night rooms but at same time don't want the run of the mill budget hotels.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check out Healdsburg too. Nice square. Dry Creek Valley wineries.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 08:07 AM

If you do stay near the Sonoma Mission Inn, I can save you some money by highly recommending a very cheap dinner, but you have to like dives. It's called El Molino, dinner was $20 including beer and guac and chips for the table. I went with my group of 7 college girlfriends (all mid-60s) and we all agreed it was our favorite of all the places we ate.

http://www.elmolinocentral.com/
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Which airport to fly into - San Francisco, Oakland or Sacramento?

Whichever has the best schedule from your departure airport, really. If everything else were equal, though, I would probably choose Oakland. SFO vs Sacramento is a bit tougher call and would depend upon the time of day I was arriving - SFO is closer to most of Sonoma than SMF, but you have to slog through the city, which can negate any distance savings. But, really, barring some major accident, I don't think the differences between the airports are going to be that huge and I would choose on price and schedule.

As others noted, flying into Santa Rosa would be great, but flights are quite limited (maybe a dozen per day?). Also, not sure what the limited flights might mean for rental car pricing.

For where to stay... I would choose Healdsburg, but it can be pricey. Sonoma would also be a good choice.

You don't want to stay in Santa Rosa . . .

Oh, I don't know about that. I've stayed at the Hyatt in Santa Rosa before and it was fine. Not the most bucolic setting, but if the OP is planning on being out and about all day, it is decently located and the hotel is nice enough. Yes, I would prioritize other areas, but I wouldn't rule out Santa Rosa, especially if price matters.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 08:37 AM

>>but I wouldn't rule out Santa Rosa, especially if price matters.