Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which is best?.....Napa, Sonoma, Healdsburg, Yountville. Help me pick.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:44 AM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calistoga, Glen Ellen, Healdsburg, Kenwood, Napa, Oakville, Rutherford, Sonoma, St. Helena. Yountville -- Fodor's guides list all of these wonderful sounding places and I'm feeling in over my head picking one for a special weekend.

We will be in SFO for a few days meeting mid-November and would like to add on two nights (Sat/Sun) in wine country. Haven't been there in a couple of decades. Here's the plan -- leave the city Saturday afternoon and drive into wine country - nice dinner (but not a budget breaker). Sunday - tour one or two wineries (is this possible on a Sunday?), walk around some quaint town with galleries and classy shops (not tacky tourist fare), have a really great dinner on Sunday night to celebrate our upcoming anniversary and fly out of SFO on Monday about noon.

Would like to keep the hotel budget in the (roughly) $200+ range (I know that's low for wine country). We aren't into over the top B&B cute, but love a small, quaint inn. Would love to have somewhere to sit on a terrace and just enjoy a spectacular view with a great glass of wine.

Recommendations? Places to stay, places to dine. How's the weather in November?Thanks all.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:57 AM
Kal

BEST?

Oh no...here we go again! C
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
TC
Original Poster

Kal, "best"....for the things I've outlined that we enjoy. If you don't have a suggestion - that's o.k. No need to reply.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM

My favorite city is Healdsburg and my favorite winegrowing regions are the Dry Creek Valley just west of Healdsburg, and the Alexander Valley north & east of Healdsburg. Lots of stuff to do & see in Healdsburg.

On your way back to SFO on Monday, you'll be driving through 4 pockets of potentially bumber-to-bumper commute traffic - Santa Rosa, San Rafael, GG Bridge area into SF, and 101 between SF & the airport. To avoid the latter, take 19th Ave through the City to 280, then follow the signs to the airport.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
TC
Original Poster

Wow, Stu.....THANK YOU SO MUCH for the traffic heads up. I could see us missing our plane by under-estimating the commute. Our departure flight is 12:25 and we'll need to return a car. Wonder if we should just spend one night in Napa Valley and then drive back for the last night near the airport? We could have our special dinner on Saturday night, nice brunch on Sunday with a wine tour, a little walk-about in one of the towns, even stay for dinner and then do the drive back to the airport area late on Sunday night. Might make the whole experience less stressful.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM

I would stay in The City on Sunday night after an early dinner in the Nsapa Valley or Healdsburg. The airport area is thoroughly charmless.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:19 AM

I would strongly suggest skipping Napa Valley at all - it is industrial, crowded, with factory-style wineries and anything but scenic. Sonoma Valley is MUCH more beautiful with more charming wineries. In Kenwood, Chateau St. Jean, Kunde and Kaz are my favourites.

Sonoma town IS quaint - lots of historic charm and good shopping. And it is rather close to San Francisco.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:24 AM

Staying the city as Stu suggested is fine if you'll get back early enough Sunday night to enjoy its "charms" (or if you want to get up early enough Monday morning for a nice breakfast in the city before you leave for the airport). Otherwise, I think staying at the airport is a good idea. And some of the airport hotels are not completely lacking in "charm" -- they back onto a lovely walking path along the bay.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Kal

I have suggestions but the term "best" is very relative and opens up the discussion to posts like "it is industrial, crowded, with factory-style wineries and anything but scenic."

Less filling/Tastes great.

Best Valley-Napa Valley-Yountville
Best Hotel-Railway Inn
Best restaurant-Bottega
Best poster-Me

No...wait...
Best Valley-Sonoma/Sonoma
Best Hotel-Sonoma Valley Inn
Best Restuarant-Della Santina's
Best poster-Razzledazzle

sf...I've stayed at several of the hotels in the "south of the airport" area and while all are corporate hotels, I do love the walking path you mentioned.

Took me a gazzilion times to find it tho.

Loved sitting in maybe El Torito and watching the planes land/take off from SFO.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM

>>

You ate at El Torito.....I'm soooooo disappointed in you
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM

TC: for a 12:25pm flight, there is no need to dash over to the SF airport area and spend the night there. With no traffic, it's only a half hour drive at most from DT SF, almost like driving from DT St Paul to DT Minneapolis.

Take Stu's advice and stay in San Francisco itself. You have plenty of time to get to SFO in the morning, even for an overseas flight let alone a domestic one. If Napa Valley is "industrialized", the the airport area is "over-the-top-industrialized".

There are at least two wine counties to explore: Napa County and Sonoma County. They're different. Napa has become far more commercialized, but the Silverado Trail wine route is not at all "industrialized". Moreover, some of the best restaurants are in the Napa-Yountville area. You do not have to spend your first born's inheritance by dining at the most expensive places. I'd suggest the Bistro Jeanty in Yountville for wonderful French food (not much view).

If you do go to Napa County, stop off at the Artesa Winery. Unforgettable and spectacular layout and terrific view. Wine (to my tastes) is only so-so. It does have an area just as you described where you can sit, enjoy the view and have a glass of their wine. Below Artesa is Domaine Carneros where there is also a terrace where you can sit and enjoy the view of terraced vineyards and sample a glass of their wine.

Here's a map of the Napa wineries:

http://www.napavalley.com/visitorsin...Winery_Map.pdf

I mentioned these two wineries because they meet what you wanted and also are on the way to Sonoma Valley. You may not want to drive too far up Highway 29, the main route for the Napa wineries, unless you have some specific winery you want to visit or have some specific wine you want to buy.

Or you can take Stu's suggestion and just spend all your time in Sonoma County. Sonoma County is more like "wine country" with its winding roads and vistas of neat vineyards. Healdsburg would be a good choice to stay, try the Healdsburg Inn (not much view, but very good location). They often have package deals. Healdsburg also has a number of wineries right in town and they're an excellent way to enjoy sampling wine without the hassle of driving. Good restaurants too, so, all in all, you have everything within walking distance: hotel, wineries, and restaurants.

Sonoma County wineries are divided generally into four large areas (plus a few smaller ones): Dry Creek Valley, Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley, and Healdsburg. The "jumping off" point or central point is Healdsburg and not the town of Sonoma.

http://www.wineroad.com/

If you do decide to spend all your time in Sonoma County, start your winetasting up at the north end with Ferrari-Carano and enjoy their gardens. Trying to think of wineries with a view, two come up: Armida and Raymond Burr (believe you need reservations ahead of time for Raymond Burr, which is not very big, but has some excellent wines). I'm certan others will come up with more suggestions for you.

Sunday evening, on your way back to San Francisco, stop off in Sausalito and have your special dinner at the Spinnaker restaurant. Great view of the entire Bay, good food. Very relaxing atmosphere. Also prices will not break the bank.

http://www.thespinnaker.com/

Have a great trip and welcome to California!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
TC
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you. Wonderful information -- just as I expected from you all. I was actually starting to consider Sonoma Valley rather than Napa and it sounds like that might be a good choice. We could drive back and spend our last night in Sausilito too, which would put us a bit closer in to the airport, but still have some charm. We will have already spent a week in San Francisco proper, so don't feel the need to go back into town for that final night.

Keep the ideas rolling. Thanks again.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM

Hate to throw another monkey wrench into things - but lots of hotels in the wine country require a 2 night minimum on weekends. Not sure if they still do this in Nov with a bad economy - but I would call around to try to secure something or at least investigate.

Last night in Sausalito sounds like fun !!! However, we can get some drab weather in November.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:32 PM

Good point, Stu!

If the Healdsburg Inn requires a two-night weekend stay, maybe you could swing a Friday and Saturday night combo?

Otherwise, there are several large hotels like the Hilton in Santa Rosa or the Doubletree in Rohnert Park that may not require a two night stay, especially the Doubletree which is humongous but is surrounded by a beautiful golf course and is a very nice property. There's also the much smaller "boutique" hotel, the Fountain Grove Inn in Santa Rosa.

I wouldn't recommend the Sheraton in Petaluma, as that's a bit far from all the "action" of the vineyards, especially if you can get a room at one of the three hotels mentioned above or a B&B nearby.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM

It totally depends on your taste, but I prefer the Napa/Yountville/St.Helena area... primarily for the restaurants. I've stayed in the Comfort Inn in Calastoga and the Villagio in Yountville, and a Comfort Inn-type in Napa. Unless you're spending time in your hotel, there's no need to spend a ton of money.

There's so many great restaurants in that area: in St. Helena: there's the CIA (Culinary Institute of America), Martini House, Mustards, in Yountville: Bottega, French Laundry (we did lunch there to stay in budget and it was amazing), Bouchon;

Both Napa and Yountville are really quaint to walk around in with unique shops and galleries. (Yountville more than Napa)

For me, 3 nights in the valley are plenty, but one's not enough.

It is getting more commercial, but as easytraveler mentioned, the Silverado Trail offers better vistas.

Both are beautiful and have their own charms. Pick one and make a plan to come back again for the other. Either way, have a great trip!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM

"Would love to have somewhere to sit on a terrace and just enjoy a spectacular view with a great glass of wine."

In mid-November, the sun sets before 5pm and it can get quite chilly in the early evening. It could also be raining at that time of year. I'm not sure I would be paying extra for a room with balcony in mid-November.

If you stay in Napa, it's an easy 1.5 hour drive to SFO on a Monday morning if you leave after 9am. It would be somewhat longer from Sonoma and quite a bit longer from Healdsburg.

Sausalito would be a good choice for your last night if you wanted a shorter drive on Monday and there might be more happening there on a Sunday night than in one of the Napa or Sonoma County towns. There's the new Cavallo Point Lodge right by the Golden Gate that would be a special treat to stay at. Maybe you could find a deal for an off-season Sunday night.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
TC
Original Poster

O.K. let's consider this weather issue. Is November bad timing for wine country? Maybe we should consider saving that for a better season. I'm just trying to think of something/place with character for an extra night or two at the end of this meeting in San Francisco. Since we will have been in the city for a few days, I thought getting out of town might be nice. We could just take the ferry across to Sausalito and take a fireplace suite at the Inn Above the Tide or Casa Madrona, sit with good books, a few bottles of wine and look out at the dreary weather of the Bay. That actually sounds kind of nice. Any other ideas?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Kal

We "did" Napa Valley for umpteen straight years over T'giving weekend since it was our wedding anniv too and rarely ran into rain...we even golfed last time down there...but, as in life, no guarantees

Of course there was a total downpour for the first Yountville Fodor's GTG but it made it a bit more "personal" being jammed under tarps "tasting" wine and then off for some "dinner".
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/25912/photo1.html
Man do I miss Cucnina!

Yountville's motto should be "Stumbling distance to great restuarants".

Our Nov stays in Y'ville were at The Bordeuax House since they have wood buring fireplaces.
All other visits were at the Railway Inn because of the "Funk Factor".
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:33 AM

I was just in that area about a month ago and stayed in Healdsburg one night. It was a nice enough little town, I guess, and had several good restaurants. One is famous, I forget its name, but I didn't eat there. The prices aren't really too bad for it, considering (I think it has a couple Michelin stars). I can't imagine exactly all this in November, but I haven't been there at that time. I mean, it won't be the same strolling around town or sitting in the square.

I wasn't in for some special event so didn't stay in some of the expensive hotels (which all did require two night minumums in summer, but I think they all didn't the entire year, you should find something). Their rates were obscene, as far as I was concerned, as a lot of them were nothing special.

I did an alternative plan that you might consider -- I was also flying out of SFO and thus spent my last night at the SOfitel which is just down the main highway about five miles (I think it says it is in Redwood City). This was a very nice hotel on its own small lake, and made it a snap to get to the airport in the morning (although I wasn't going during rush hour). But it also had a pretty good restaurant, and there are some things to do around there that would be a change -- I really enjoyed visiting Filoli Mansion and Gardens, for example, which aren't too far away. Don't know what they'd be like in November, either. I just hate worrying about getting to the airport and would prefer to stay where it doesn't involve going over bridges and through a city to get there, myself.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Nice pics Kal. Looks like y'all had a great time.

I have been checking the hotel prices for October, November and it must be high season cause the rates are up there. In late June early July we could find some nice deals. Stayed at the Yountville Inn for, I think, $200 but checking October/November their rates are $350.

This one isn't cheap but very nice with views of the Vineyards:
http://www.winecountryinn.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -